Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V5

Will a runtime verssion of v5 be available with the release of v5 or at a later date?

RE: V5

Making a runtime release is a fairly simple process (just throwing a few switches), so we could make one available quickly after version 5.0 ships (the installation procedure is the only thing that needs to be redone).

However, there is a feature we use in addins in version 5.0 that allows precompiled xbasic scripts, UDF's and bitmaps, which load instantly. We may want to use this same process for the runtime release to make folks runtime apps load instantly as well - If we decide that this is a valuable feature for the runtime release, this will take more time (and testing).

Comment

Cian,

Let me assure you that this would be a "valuable feature" for the runtime. By all means go for it!

Peter
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

One advantage to precompiled scripts in a runtime application would be that the precompiled scripts are guarenteed to be 'read-only' since there is no mechinism to edit a precompiled library.

A potential downside (for the end user) is that they cannot mix and match different alpha five runtimes with a library that was precompiled for a specific runtime - when a new patch to the runtime is made, the precompiled library will
        need to be rebuilt - I don't see this as a big issue since the developer of the app should be tasked with this.

I would agree that faster loading of runtime programs would make the runtime more attractive. We are also looking at potentially writing different shells for alpha five (i.e. for folks that don't want a MDI interface). John Keklak has already written a middleware shell (for the client server edition) - that still needs work, but has shown that alpha fives component parts are capable of being separated.

Ideally we would have:

1) a console mode interface - command line xbasic,
        which would enable xbasic CGI-scripts & batch
        processes.

2) Single document interface.

3) Multiple document interface (like we have now).

Implementing these for the runtime would be easier than implementing these for the full product because in the case of the runtime, we don't have to deal with the 'editors' - script/layout/etc - and we don't need to implement the control panel (especially since most runtime apps do thier
        best to eliminate the control panel entirely).

Comment

Hello Cian,

It's great to see you here on the board. What you posted is of great interest of course. Your post has gotten me excited! xbasic cgi scripts.........!!! console mode ..........!! When can I send the money?!!!
          realistically, when could we hope to see some of these things?? Can we help? :-)

Jim

Comment

What is...

...console mode interface?

...single document interface?

...multiple document interface?

Thank you,
            Mike
            Thank you,
            Mike Konoff

Comment

I couldn't begin to explain the technical distinctions, but to a layman console mode is sort of like a 'terminal'. When you start a DOS session you are using the console mode of Windows. The screen displays text but won't display graphics.

It's my understanding a single document interface presents a single 'session' to the user, who must navigate through the forms in a series or order dictated by the programmer. Multiple instances of an application, or of a form, would not generally be permitted. To move to a new form, the previous form must be closed.

A multiple document interface removes these limits. Multiple copies of forms may be opened simultaneously. The user can switch between them in any order, without having to close any along the way.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks Tom.
                Thank you,
                Mike Konoff

Comment

Tom - I love your "layman" approach to the explanation - and in that same level - what would an example of a cgi script be?
                  Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                  972 524 8714
                  [email protected]

Comment

Hi Martin,

cgi stands for 'common gateway interface'. cgi scripts are what run much of the internet's dynamic content. a web server calls a cgi script and information is passed back and forth. What is exciting about this (I can't believe this hasn't generated more interest here, unless every one but me know's about it) is that cian, alpha software developer, seems to be hinting that they may give us the ability to write cgi stripts with xbasic, meaning that we could dynamically tie our A5 database's to a web server using xbasic. This is a big deal to me. Of course this can be done right now using foxpro 2.6 odbc drivers and any number of programming environments, but what we really know and use is xbasic, not C++. If they give us this ability within xbasic, we would be able to use our knowledge of xbasic and access our database 'natively' rather than through odbc. At least that how I'm understanding his comments. I think this would be a huge advantage for us and would open up a much larger market for A5. Filemaker Pro basically has this capability built in also, but I'm not sure if it's implemented via cgi scripts. Seems like I've read that filemaker pro's web services are rather slow.

Anyway, IMHO, fire up this could be a big deal.

Jim

Comment

well, although i currently don't need web capability, my new and big customer, for whom i have recently undertaken a major upgrade, is a very aggressive and progressive client. they are growing rapidly, and in a year or two will most likely take on a more national flavor. they have already asked me about touch screens, as a future upgrade. and they have asked me if we could enter into an agreement where they would aggressively market the program themselves at conventions. i replied, "Oh ....... i guess that would be okay."

they tried with three different "access" programmers - and all three failed miserably. (hurray for alpha). considering my app is 13 years old and i have maybe 13,000 hours in it, i am way ahead of someone starting from scratch.

when they saw my alpha program in action at three different dealer locations, they immediately said - let's do it - and i replied,"Oh............okay."

anyway, i am excited. i've been looking for them for several years!!!
                      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X