Alpha Video Training
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medical Billing

Thomas Henkel

Default RE: Medical Billing

Bill,

I have the HIPAA book sitting on my desk, still as confused as ever. I have very simple transactions, and it seems as though whoever made up these loops has decided to make it as tough as possible.

Tom

Real Name
    William Schone

Tom,

At your convience, can you help me with a burning issue?

I'm used to working with dbf files, fixed length records etc. The examples in the HIPAA implementation guide, show output records that are field or "element" (HIPAA speak)delimited with a character. We think we'll use "?" for element delimiter, as we find "*" in some of our policy numbers. Additionally, there is a segment terminator, "~" that terminates the segment or record.

The examples in the implemenation guide, show all of these records simply ran together, with, of course, the segment terminator telling the receiving system where the "record" breaks are. My limited testing to this point, has been to create a blank dbf file, a single field, of some length, yet to be determined, and simply append the data as it is required in the ANSI format to this file, export it to a text file and transmit.

This methodology creates seperate records within the dbf file and the resulting text file. Any guesses as to whether or not that would work? Any other thoughts toward this issue, even if they are simply questions, would be deeply appreciated.

Sincerely, at your convience. And yes the IG has been on my desk all day today!

Bill

Real Name
    William Schone

Tom,

As always, as soon as I hit send, something comes to mind. After creating my dbf file, and could read it and trim and concatenate the records.

I'm stumbling a little with what exactly the file "looks" like that we'll be sending. Not from the record format basis, all I have to do to get that is read the implementation guide (looks like a blast). But once I get the records into this transmission file what will it be like?

Any ideas? or samples?

Bill

Thomas Henkel

Bill,

I got an e-mail with an atachment from Peter Wayne for a test of his HIPAA submission. It looks like there is NO cr/lf anywhere in the data. Records types are separated by the "~" character. I haven't quite figured out how to do that, yet.

My problem is even more basic. I have a very simple recurring transmission that we do every month. We bill Medicaid for case management for Homecare Clients. Prior ro HIPAA, there were 3 records per client: Detail Header, Detail, and Detail Footer. All pertinant information was held in these threee SMALL records.

I am so confused as to what record types I need to use for this one (what used to be) very simple transaction. New Jersey Medicaid has set an October 16 date for HIPAA compliance. This is now becoming critical. We bill $40k per month.

Tom

Tom

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Tom

I can't help with the HIPAA issue, but getting data separated with a ~ is actually very easy. Just create a crlf() delimited string and then use stritran() to replace the crlf() with a ~. From the interactive window

str = "Data"+crlf()+"more_data"
    ?str
    = Data
    more_data

?stritran(str,crlf(),"~")
    = "Data~more_data"

Jerry

Thomas Henkel

Thanks, Jerry,

I have no problem getting the tilde into the records, the problem comes when, after having built an ascii file with crlf delimited records, how do I remove the crlf???

Tom

Steve Sidney

I have tried emailing hendrik but have had no reply.

residing in South Africa, I was not particulalry interested in the Medical Billing problem but am interested to see if anyone has an Optometric Package developed in A5V5.

Of extreme importance is whether you track line items on each incoice for debtor purposes.

Regards
    Steve

"Certified" Alphaholic Melvin Davidson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melvin Davidson

Tom,

You would be better off posting technical questions in the
    Alpha Five forum.