Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

<TBL>.DELETE() - not what you might think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<TBL>.DELETE() - not what you might think

Hi all.

I've just spent the better part of a day trying to delete parent and child records related in a 1:M set. I've pored through the online Help and this forum and have learned that there is a sublety that isn't emphasized enough. I'd like to share what I've learned so that others can benefit. Here's the problem:

According to a note attached to the Help for "TBL".DELETE(), "For Alpha Five V3.02 and beyond, the record pointer will move to the next record after the "TBL".CHANGE_END() method is executed. For prior versions, the record pointer will remain on the deleted record."

That means that if you use a standard while/fetch_next() loop to delete multiple child records as mentioned in thread

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&amp;direction=desc&amp;num=11&amp;id=53033&amp;thread=53016

and the online Help, you will actually delete *every other* child record. This happens because as soon as you delete a record, the record pointer automatically moves to the next record, so the fetch_next() will skip the one the pointer has just moved to. (I verified this by using Visual FoxPro 5.0 to view a table with records which had been deleted by a while/fetch_next() loop in A5. Since VFP 5.0 clearly shows deleted records in its browses, one of the few things I can't seem to do with A5, it was easy to see that "every other record" had been deleted.)

So how do you solve this problem? Again referring to the thread above, Tom Cone, Jr. suggested using "TBL".DELETE_RANGE(). That turns out to be an excellent suggestion as long as you construct the filter properly.

So, perhaps A5v6 should have an additional logical parameter attached to "TBL".DELETE() where .T. (default) moves the record pointer (current behavior) and .F. doesn't. That would provide the best of both worlds. For me, I'll just use "TBL".DELETE_RANGE() for now :). What do you think?

--Michael

RE: &lt;TBL&gt;.DELETE() - not what you might thin

If you like

"tbl".delete()

you can just issue a

"tbl".fetch_prev() after the

"tbl".change_end(.t.)
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Actually, we could just remove the tbl.fetch_next() entirely and it should work. However, I don't think a simple delete function should require that much effort to work the way most developers are probably used to.

I think part of the issue relates to the fact that unlike other .dbf database products (dBase, FoxPro, Clipper), A5 *protects* the user from having to deal with *deleted* records. (Do you know how to include/view deleted records inside a browse?) In a number of cases, the other products require that you either test if a record is deleted or that you filter deleted records from an open table. I would have no problem if A5 offered a way for me to manage deleted records.

Just my 2 cents.
      --Michael

Comment

Careful with using Delete_Range() across a mult-user network. If any of the records in the range is locked, Delete_Range will fail without triggering an Error Message. Not cool.

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the "heads up". Another important piece of information to add to this *delete profile*.

--Michael

Comment

When I ran into "tbl".delete last August:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&amp;direction=desc&amp;num=11&amp;id=39578&amp;thread=39489

It didn't advance the pointer at all. I've just been marking and deleting records since then.

Comment

Blake,

Do you *mark* and then use delete_range() for the marked records as Tom suggested in the thread you referenced? If so, how do you prevent running into the same problem Steve Dentler mentions above where one of your marked records is locked by another user? Or do you use a loop and just keep trying to delete the marked records until they're all deleted?

From what I can see so far, there doesn't seem to be a *foolproof* method of deleting all records one wishes to delete. Perhaps if A5 offered us the ability to manually *lock* multiple records or an entire table, this issue could be resolved.

--Michael

Comment

Perhaps if A5 offered us the ability to manually *lock* multiple records or an entire table, this issue could be resolved.

t=table.open("mytable",FILE_RW_EXCLUSIVE)
                will open your table in exclusive (locked) mode.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
                Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Michael--

I don't worry too much about multiple-users. A5v5 isn't really a multi-user DBMS, and I accept that a certain degree of, em, sloppiness is inherent. I spend a lot of time (probably too much) pondering whether to use references or copies, to avoid serous problems, and I accept that I may be leaving orphaned records lying around from time-to-time.

But in my current app, it's unlikely that there will be more than one person in any particular area of the database at the same time, and even more unlikely that two people will be looking at the same record at the same time while one is changing it.

Not elegant, but practical.

===Blake===

Comment

Blake,

You write "I don't worry too much about multiple-users. A5v5 isn't really a multi-user DBMS...."

Given that (to choose just a couple of examples) I have 35 simultaneous users and Tom Henkel has many more I cannot imagine why you would make such a statement?

Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

""Given that (to choose just a couple of examples) I have 35 simultaneous users and Tom Henkel has many more I cannot imagine why you would make such a statement?""

I know there are people who run it that way; my hat's off to you. However, I don't know the contexts under which these users are supported =and= I knew people who had similar user counts under dBASE III--also not a multi-user database.

What Alpha does is use OS file and record locks to avoid some multi-user conflicts, subject to the vagaries of the OS (opporutnistic locking can cause file corruption), and it adds you a few features to assist.

Rather than get into whether it's a "true" multi-user database, let's just say there's a gradient. A5's concurrency support isn't much higher level than the OS-calls--compared to Oracle or, let's say, Interbase, which allows versioning (keeping multiple versions of a record around to ensure read consistency).

Also, as is pointed out periodically, there are certain things you just can't do easily (if at all) in A5 that, say, a C/S system does by default (like log a user out).

No slight is meant by this. Clearly, supporting multiple users is =possible=. And if you can do all you need with it, with no concurrency problems, it's not without advantages for multiple users.

However, A5 is still, down at the metal, a series of standalone "enlightened" dBase III engines.

Comment

Blake,

I gave myself a full day to digest your latest post.

You make a series of sophisticated points about network implementation which are easy to agree with but the essense of your argument is quite simple: a database is not multi-user unless it is client server.

Can you really mean this? I don't imagine most would agree. I know I don't

Of course there are advantages to client server but that is a separate issue.

Bill
                        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

""I gave myself a full day to digest your latest post.

No heartburn, I trust."s"

I wasn't =thinking= multi-user DBMS has to be client/server, but I have to agree with your analysis, and ask myself, "is that what I mean"?

Maybe. I'm trying to imagine some circumstance where a non-C/S database can fully support multiple-users, and I'm not coming up with anything.

To clarify, the term "client/server" is often used these days to refer to a specific setup of client program which connects directly to server program, differentiating it from multi-tier, web-based, XML, whatever.

But in the ultimate sense of: one program (server) to manipulate the database, yes, I don't think any other system is very robust for handling multiple users.

Again, this is in a general sense. The ingenuity of the A5 community never ceases to amaze me, and it's certainly right to point out that multi-user apps are written in A5 (heck, I'm doing that). But they rely heavily on programmer ingenuity, not on features inherent in the system.

On the philosophical side, however, we have a system designed to be a standalone single-user client AND server, and it shows: We actually strip powers OUT of the A5 client to build our apps (because we can't have people arbitrarily deciding to compact the database, modify tables, lock records and not unlock them, etc. etc. etc.). We all invent (and re-invent) all the security any of our apps have. We all have to handle simultaneity individually for each app. Etc. Etc.

If it's just semantics, here, I'll concede any point: Yes, you can have many people use an A5 app. And with some effort you can make it fairly safe for them to do so. If that's a "multi-user DBMS" in your mind, I won't argue.

If you can imagine some arrangement of fully-independent programs that can manipulate data AND fully address the simultenaity issues that arise with many users, I'd like to hear it. (I did think of =one= possibility: You could have a peer-to-peer DBMS. All users of a database would contact each other to handle simultaneity issues, rather than a master server. But in the long run, that's just making ALL the peers take turns being servers, instead of just having one. Structurally, different, though: Might be interesting.)

Comment

Blake,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I appreciate it.

In a way we do have (as you say) a question of semantics in the sense that given the diversity of this board's membership the assertion that A5 is not multi-user is likely to lead to misunderstanding.

As for your general analysis of the gradient of multi-user support, I find it useful and well taken.

Bill
                            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Working...
                            X