Alpha Video Training

Thread: Software doesn't work

John Gillissen

Default Software doesn't work

I downloaded your software to try to convert an MS Access file. I don't have MS Access. Your software promised to convert access files via an import tool. Import tool doesn't work.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

Default RE: Software doesn't work

That's actually a rather broad statement. In fact the software does work. (Hey, it ain't perfect but what is!) Perhaps if you told us what you are doing someone might be able to offer some help.

Are you using the ODBC import genie?

Russ

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Wanda Tucker

Hi John,

Which software product are you working with from Alpha?

I've not tried to import Access files, but if you have Excel, and if you can import the Access files into Excel, then you could import the Excel file into Alpha, most likely. I know Alpha 5v5, 5v4.5, etc, down to Alpha 4, I believe, can handle Excel files.

Or, if you could convert the Access files to .txt files, you could import them that way.

Be sure to save your Excel file as a 4.0 file.

What import tool are you refering to in your Alpha software?

Wanda

John Gillissen

would if it worked

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Works for me. As Russ states, you must be specific. What version of Access was used to create the file? There are big differences between versions. In older versions, you can set the Access file as an OBDC source and open it in Alpha. Clumsy, but it works. Later versions need the import genie to set up. I have opened a number of different Access files in Alpha.

Jerry

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

John,

You say you don't have Access. How can you import an Access file w/o Access. If you have an Access file/application, I doubt you'll be able to import it as you'll not have access to the tables.

Also, what steps are you taking to do the import? Before you can perform the inmport, you must download the import files (Alpha's).

If we don't know exactly what steps ypou are taking, we can't help. If I towed my car to a mechanic and said it don't work, what do you think the mechanic would ask me?

kenn

Banned

John,

Personally I don't think we should take someone seriously who asks a question and then answers with only 4 words when there is a specific question in return.

Compliments for anyone who does.

Regards,

Marcel

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

The responses are what make the help on this board stand out abvoe all other message boards. It helps me accomplish much more than I would otherwise. But, Alpha is making it quite easy and yet improve on the power and capibilities.

kenn

Real Name
    RT

Hello John:

It doesn't appear as if you'll be returning to this forum any time soon. Nonetheless, I couldn't resist offering a quick reply.

There are thousands of Alpha Five users working with this fantastic program every day. People use it for their individual needs and/or to track data for their businesses. Do you think Alpha Software could possibly remain a viable entity if the program didn't work as promised?

Hence, I can only come to one logical conclusion, the problem is on your end. Either you don't know what you're doing and/or you're leaving out an important step [or steps] in the process. So if you do return to this board, take a few minutes to explain in detail exactly what you're doing in chronological order. I'm confident someone can show you how to accomplish your goal using A5.

Robert T

John Gillissen

I get an OBCD Import Genie Error and a dialogue box with a Download Now button. When I click on the download now button, nothing happens ....over and over again.

John Gillissen

the OBCD genie isn't present and doesn't download to install

John Gillissen

the access file was sent to me. youe newest version doesn't include the OBCD genie so it tells me to download it, but the donload now button doesn't do anything.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

You can download the ODBC Import Genie from http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a5_odbc_import_genie.exe

-Lenny

John Gillissen

my problem isn't that it works for you, my problem is that it doesn't work for me.

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Default RE: Software doesn

The trial version does not include the ODBC Import Genie in order to help reduce the file download size. The Genie itself is 11MB and not everyone wants/needs it so it has been separated from the main download. You can download it from http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a5_odbc_import_genie.exe

-Lenny

John Gillissen

you are right, I don't know what I'm doing and am not familiar with databases and how they work. That's why I chose Alpha 5 believing it would be relatively easy to get into. I was following the step by step instructions on importing an MS Access file so I could open it. Following the instructions, they tell me to click on the Download Now button in the OBCD import genie error message dialogue box (expected and shown by the Alpha 5 help screens). The error box came up just as shown. Clicking on the download button avails nothing. The download button doesn't download anything, and that is not on this end.

John Gillissen

Default RE: Software doesn

Thank you, Lenny

John Gillissen

I don't blame you. I had called the Alpha helpdesk 3 times previously. I was trying to get 'real' work done on the job, and was miffed I had to resort to a forum just to open a file.
    (39 words)

John Gillissen

Lenny provided me with the link i needed. However, the Download button still doen't work and it is likely it won't work for every new user that tries to import their other files.

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

You are correct John. I am looking into why the download button does not work now. I hope to have it fixed shortly.

-Lenny