Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Software doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software doesn't work

I downloaded your software to try to convert an MS Access file. I don't have MS Access. Your software promised to convert access files via an import tool. Import tool doesn't work.

RE: Software doesn't work

That's actually a rather broad statement. In fact the software does work. (Hey, it ain't perfect but what is!) Perhaps if you told us what you are doing someone might be able to offer some help.

Are you using the ODBC import genie?

Russ

Comment

Hi John,

Which software product are you working with from Alpha?

I've not tried to import Access files, but if you have Excel, and if you can import the Access files into Excel, then you could import the Excel file into Alpha, most likely. I know Alpha 5v5, 5v4.5, etc, down to Alpha 4, I believe, can handle Excel files.

Or, if you could convert the Access files to .txt files, you could import them that way.

Be sure to save your Excel file as a 4.0 file.

What import tool are you refering to in your Alpha software?

Wanda

Comment

would if it worked

Comment

Works for me. As Russ states, you must be specific. What version of Access was used to create the file? There are big differences between versions. In older versions, you can set the Access file as an OBDC source and open it in Alpha. Clumsy, but it works. Later versions need the import genie to set up. I have opened a number of different Access files in Alpha.

Jerry

Comment

John,

You say you don't have Access. How can you import an Access file w/o Access. If you have an Access file/application, I doubt you'll be able to import it as you'll not have access to the tables.

Also, what steps are you taking to do the import? Before you can perform the inmport, you must download the import files (Alpha's).

If we don't know exactly what steps ypou are taking, we can't help. If I towed my car to a mechanic and said it don't work, what do you think the mechanic would ask me?

kenn
            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

John,

Personally I don't think we should take someone seriously who asks a question and then answers with only 4 words when there is a specific question in return.

Compliments for anyone who does.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

The responses are what make the help on this board stand out abvoe all other message boards. It helps me accomplish much more than I would otherwise. But, Alpha is making it quite easy and yet improve on the power and capibilities.

kenn
                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hello John:

It doesn't appear as if you'll be returning to this forum any time soon. Nonetheless, I couldn't resist offering a quick reply.

There are thousands of Alpha Five users working with this fantastic program every day. People use it for their individual needs and/or to track data for their businesses. Do you think Alpha Software could possibly remain a viable entity if the program didn't work as promised?

Hence, I can only come to one logical conclusion, the problem is on your end. Either you don't know what you're doing and/or you're leaving out an important step [or steps] in the process. So if you do return to this board, take a few minutes to explain in detail exactly what you're doing in chronological order. I'm confident someone can show you how to accomplish your goal using A5.

Robert T

Comment

I get an OBCD Import Genie Error and a dialogue box with a Download Now button. When I click on the download now button, nothing happens ....over and over again.

Comment

the OBCD genie isn't present and doesn't download to install

Comment

the access file was sent to me. youe newest version doesn't include the OBCD genie so it tells me to download it, but the donload now button doesn't do anything.

Comment

You can download the ODBC Import Genie from http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a5_odbc_import_genie.exe

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
                          Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                          Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

my problem isn't that it works for you, my problem is that it doesn't work for me.

Comment

RE: Software doesn

The trial version does not include the ODBC Import Genie in order to help reduce the file download size. The Genie itself is 11MB and not everyone wants/needs it so it has been separated from the main download. You can download it from http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a5_odbc_import_genie.exe

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
                              Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                              Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Working...
                              X