Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Off-topic = Linux on desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-topic = Linux on desktop

Just an FYI -

"We're focusing on building a complete Linux desktop as an alternative to what you've been using," Novell Vice Chairman Chris Stone told Novell loyalists at the company's BrainShare conference here. "We believe that in the next 12 months, we will see the widespread adoption of Linux on the desktop."

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5177257.html?tag=nefd_top

~joe

RE: Off-topic = Linux on desktop

Maybe some day. But I'm not looking forward to it. Alpha would have to rewrite their program. No thanks.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

True. Although it makes the case for using WAS to some extent, since it would be platform independent.

~joe

Comment

My personal opinion is that Linux, while a great server platform, is no where near ready for the desktop. Even the best desktop environments (KDE, Gnome) are clunky, slow, and have very little commercial software support compared to the Windows desktop. It's too bad, but unfortunately it is true. It's going to be a while before your average home or business user is considering a linux system as their primary desktop.
        Aaron Brown
        Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Anyone with questions about Linux, whether or not it's usable or desktop ready, can gain some pretty quick-and-easy firsthand experiences at these sites:

http://www.knoppix.com/

http://lab.dyne.org/DyneBolic

These are CD-bootable images of Linux. They boot up to a fully-functional OS, complete with network, web browser, e-mail reader, office suite, some games, etc. (If you have DSL you can download the images in about an hour, otherwise you might want to order a CD. :-))

It boots up much faster than a Windows start-up disk, and isn't much slower than a regular Windows boot despite having to detect and install all hardware. Once it's up, it's so much faster than Windows, it's not even funny. (Granted, this is on a machine with a lot of RAM, running an OS out of the RAM, so that's part of it.)

Architecturally, Linux has a clunky graphics system (as Aaron points out) but in practice, it feels like a Mac/Windows hybrid, with a lot of bells and whistles not found in out-of-the-box Windows, like multiple desktops.

Typical of Linux, while Knoppix works on my systems, Dynebolic doesn't (at least, last time I tried it, which was a year or so ago), and Knoppix doesn't recognize all my hardware, particularly my external storage devices.

I used Knoppix a couple of weeks ago on a system where Windows refused to boot, and managed to get it working well enough to salvage a bit of data I hadn't backed up before crashing. I was sorely tempted to keep using it.

For the average joe, running e-mail, browsing the web, and doing some light word processing, Linux would be perfectly serviceable. Wal-Mart has been selling Lindows (a Linux variant that strives to be as easy-to-use and Windows) for over a year now. I don't know how well they're selling, but well enough for Wal-Mart to persist. The difference between a $500 machine with Windows and a $300 machine with Lindows is probably significant to a large number of people.

For us, as developers, we have to look both ways before crossing the street. There's not only the question of whether or not to adopt Linux personally, but also the question of whether our customers (current and future) are going to adopt it.

Being able to develop for Linux can be a HUGE advantage if you want to offer a standalone system. If you wanted to sell a complete package, hardware and software, you can not only knock off the price of the OS (substantial and increasing at an alarming rate) but you can use cheaper hardware (since Linux runs comfortably on a '386).

Linux can even give ol' DOS a run for the money in the dedicated hardware dep't. It makes a good choice for kiosk based stuff, too, because it's rock solid.

That doesn't even address security. You could give 99%+ of all virus warnings a miss if you ran Linux.

And there's much, much more to commend it.

Having said all that, Chris Stone is a fruitcup. :-) We won't be seeing substantial penetration of Linux into the desktop market. Novell, IBM, and all the other big Linux backers are backing it at least partly out of revenge. IBM for OS/2, Novell for their network OS, etc.

So they're enjoying rubbing Bill's nose in the fact that while he crushed them with various legal and illegal commercial tactics, it's much harder to crush something free. Linux dominates the web server biz, and is making in-roads into areas MS thought they had locked down. (Hence, MS's scrambling to get acceptance for .NET and to render the OS irrelevant.)

The Lindows guys may be the ones to watch, or a similar company, if they can provide out-sourced tech support. Maybe if MS themselves came out tomorrow and said "We're abandoning Windows for Linux" it'd still take years, unless Linux got a lot better running existing apps and a lot omre of the major app vendors started supporting it.

Comment

" (since Linux runs comfortably on a '386)."

Yes without a gui it will, but then so will DOS. A modern Linux gui requires about the same or more horsepower than Windows, and typically feels more clunky, to me at least.

Comment

Blake

Nice analysis. The problem with Linux is general acceptance. Most large companies today have established Mickeysoft as the standard. To change that and move it to another operating system and the related programs would be a serious nightmare. Just changing the standard word processing program can have serious effects. Our company forced all of us using Wordperfect to move to Word over 2 years ago. We are still feeling the fallout as we frequently need to access old documents and templates that were build in Wordperfect.

Jerry

Comment

That depends on the desktop you install. Blackbox or Fluxbox are very minimal menu driven guis. You cant change your desktop in Windows other than the looks.

It mostly depends on what you are running in the background. Same goes for Windows.

Comment

True. Though most Windows users will only be comfortable in GNOME or KDE which like power.

Comment

Excellent points. I've been reading some A4/A5 posts dealing with the costly move to A5 due to hardware (WINXP). Well with a linux setup on the old 486 with a WAS you might get what you want for an unbeatable price.

I remember reading an article a loooong time ago about a businessman in California that was sued by M$ due to licensing issues (too many seats weren't paid for). He admitted to not watching over the licensing as vigilent as he should but as a small businessman he was outraged at the response from M$ (pheasant hunting with a cannon). So he moved to Linux back when it wasn't in fashion. He pointed out that while the transition was tough he was able to customize the computer for each job. So gone was the Solitaire time killer and those that didn't need Internet access had no internet client etc. He made a good case for Linux just based on the flexibility of the OS.

As for me I'm sticking with the 'borg'. As someone that started out on the MAc I know how frustrating it can be to need an application that hasn't been written for my niche OS. But if I were to own a business it would be wise to at least investigate.

~joe

Comment

Unless I am mistaken about this, if it is factual that an end user using the WAS does not have to have ANY aspect of Alpha installed on their computer, the app would still have to be on a Windows server! But, given that, the end user's OS would be irrelevant, as they are only "surfing the web."
                      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

"(since Linux runs comfortably on a '386).&quot"

Yes without a gui it will, but then so will DOS."

It has a lot more power than DOS, though. For dedicated apps, however, that's not always needed or wanted, so DOS is still king in some areas.

"A modern Linux gui requires about the same or more horsepower than Windows,"

More? Really? I mean, if you took two minimum systems for XP (300mhz CPU, 64MB RAM, 2.1G hard-disk space) and put Linux on one and XP on the other--well, Linux would certainly run--and would have more free disk space. Are you suggesting that XP would run better?

I may have a system that I can test this hypothesis out on, come to think of it.

"and typically feels more clunky, to me at least."

I found Knoppix (which uses KDE) easy as pie, once I got used to the more Mac-style of single-clicking (I guess Windows can be set up that way, too).

Sidebar: I was just having this discussion with an editor friend of mine from the OS/2 days. The thing she hears from people is "Windows is the best OS ever!"

To which her response is, "Really? What other systems have you used?" The usual answer, of course, is none, which is akin to pronouncing McDonald's the "best hamburger" if you've never eaten anywhere else.

We all get conditioned to things; I've tried very hard to work on different OSes (Apples, MVS, DOS, Windows 3.x, OS/2, Windows 9x, Windows NT/2K/XP, Linux, Unix) and in different programming environments (more variations on Basic, Assembler, C/++, Pascal, Smalltalk, PL/I, dBase, Java, etc., than I can recall) and =still= I find myself falling into certain patterns and bristling against things that don't work the way I think they should--i.e., the way I'm used to.

There is "better" and "worse" among these things, to be sure. But most often, there is, "comfortable" and "uncomfortable"--a highly subjective and conditioned response.

Hmmm. Sorry for the rant.

Comment

"Nice analysis."

Thank you. I've been watching Linux like a hawk since IBM killed OS/2.

"The problem with Linux is general acceptance. Most large companies today have established Mickeysoft as the standard."

Microsoft penalizes its customers soundly otherwise.

"To change that and move it to another operating system and the related programs would be a serious nightmare."

Which is one reason we won't see Linux make serious incursions on to the desktop. Companies have and will continue to change over for very telling reasons (MS' strong-arm licensing tactics, poor security) but if there's any big change, it'll be back room.

MS licensing scales more expensively than their products. People dependent on high-powered servers can find their costs going up dramatically enough to make them look at Linux as possibly giving them a budgetary edge.

And, I hope, most IT execs are waking up to the lie that "Windows is easier" for server maintenance. Server maintenance is skilled labor for any system.

"Just changing the standard word processing program can have serious effects. Our company forced all of us using Wordperfect to move to Word over 2 years ago. We are still feeling the fallout as we frequently need to access old documents and templates that were build in Wordperfect."

Yep. I've seen it many times. I have friends in support who push to get standardization on MS office because it makes their job easier. The help desk ends up dictating the tech for the company, rather than the people who have to use it.

Comment

Martin,

That is a very good point. Of course, the downside is that working over the web can be painfully slow - even w. broadband. Still, I can appreciate that the WAS will make Alpha far more universally available.

Peter
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

I discovered something when making Web apps. If the person had a native app to work with, the Web app was considered "slow". If the person didn't, they were fine with a Web app.

The slow-ness of the Web interface should, to some degree, be countered by the potential speed of a Client/Server solution. Right now, if you're using an A5 app over your network, you're doing a lot more traffic on the network than you would if A5 were a genuine C/S setup.

===Blake===

Comment

Working...
                              X