Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multi Company Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi Company Setup

Hi All,

I would like to get a fresh look at what I need to do.

I want to setup a multi company that has multiple sites/locations under a given company, what I thought of doing is making a table for the sake of argument registored_user_header then link that table to a table called location_detail.

Then I would make a set with the registerd_user as the header table in the set then link the rest of the application off the location_detail.

I am rebuilding an application from the ground-up that I can use on the new WAS when it becomes available to host the
    application on the internet.

What are your thoughts please-?
    -Ray

RE: Multi Company Setup

Hi Ray,

Is the general data going to be shared by all locations, or do they have their own individual data besides location? There are several ways to accomplish what you want depending on exactly what your end results needed are.

If you simply need addresses, etc for report and form purposes you can create a table to hold that data and use variables on your report and form fields.

You can create a location table that all your other tables use a lookup for, ie one employee table with all the employee records that includes a field for lookup from the location table.

With this scenario you would basically have a location table and a company information table added to your existing table structure.

If the different locations are not sharing any data then completely separate databases is the best resolution.

Just an opinion.

Cheryl
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for your reply,

Think of what I want to do as an online banking application
      when you go to www.mybank.com and click sign-in you are presented with only your account information this would be one part of my application but to add to this a I want the customer after they sign-in to have their own set of data
      then on top of that each company has multiple locations with their own set of books.

The way I see the structure is company_sign_in link
      one-to-many to the company_location table one_to_many
      link to the rest of the application from their.

When I do a story board on paper this looks good but I wondered if anyone else could give this a fresh look and maybe they will see something wrong with this design that I don�t because as we all know it's better to try and catch it on paper then when your half way threw development.

Hope I am clear
      Ray

Comment

Ray,

In a simplified form ....

Have a global variable set with the company ID and have a field in your tables "Company_ID"

Then just match the global variable that was set on selecting a company and/or login and either link or filter the records accordingly.

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

Thank you for you suggestion I will keep this method in mind.

-Ray

Comment

Hi Ray,

OK, it sounds like one database to me with multiple additional tables needed. I have a very similar structure setup with inventory control if I am understanding you correctly.

You need to create tables with user information and access level information. You will need a login page which will capture specific identifiers as session variables. You will later use these various session variables to determine what the current user has access to based on query filters etc.

In my inventory db I have multiple companies inventories setup. They are separate companies with different users, but I have them all in one database. By requiring the login and capturing session variables I can then discriminate against which company inventory files that user is allowed to view.

Some individuals will access only one company, others will access multiple companies, and yet others will be able to access all company inventory information.

I hope this helps.

Cheryl
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
            http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

That is correct so my way of thinking seems write to you?

-Ray

Comment

Ray,

To diagram it as if it were a set:

Parent_Company===1:M===Child_Companies===1:M====Application Tables

Of course, it doesn't have to be a set, but the above is one concept. In the above scenario, each child company shares the same application tables, differentiated by a unique ID. Although, strictly speaking, you could just have:

Parent_Company ~ stand alone table
                Child_Companies===1:M====Application Tables

It all depends on how the relationship between entities functions.

Peter
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question,
                  so my way of thinking is correct I just wanted to be sure.

-Ray

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

If you would not mind providing me with information on how
                    you made the set/sets for this setup I have been pulling my hair out all day Saturday I think I am almost their but I would like a fresh look at the setup to see if I can improve the way I did this.

My requirements are as follows, I have a site_ID table with
                    required info for a particular company to log-in to their site then I have a subsite_ID table because each site can
                    have multiple locations for a given site then what ever info I need to share site_ID wide I link off the site_ID
                    table.

I have made one big set with the site_ID table as the
                    parent and from hear follow your setup.

-Ray

Comment

Working...
                    X