New call-to-action

Thread: Msg in Browse form

Real Name
    John Burke

Default Msg in Browse form

I have a browse form which I enter diff info in, when I come to the last column in the browse and press enter it auto goes to the next line. Can I have a msg box at that column field, to ask if I want to add another, whatever, and if I choose no to take me outside the browse to the next field, or am I restricted to using the mouse pointer. Still learning, not very fast. tks jb

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Default RE: Msg in Browse form

Hi John,

This can be done but not advised as this would not lead to good data input. There are two ways around this. When you are in the last column press F6 this will take you out of the browse. The other way is when the new line has been started press the Up key and the new line will not be active.

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
    London.

Real Name
    ray lane

Hi John,

Some would not do data entry in a browse they/me would bring up a separate form for data entry and use the browse for viewing records.

Just my 2 cents
    -Ray

Real Name
    John Burke

Thank you guys for the imput. I was using the F6 and the up arrow, just look for an earier route. As far as imputing data into a browse table, I'm a new user just taking my cue from the Alpha Sports example. The data I have to enter goes to many different databases, so the form is based on the set. Do you have another example of data imput without using the browse method. I see no problem with the way I'm currently entering data, maybe there is pitfalls I haven't ran into yet. Any enlightment is greatly appreciated. tks jb

Real Name
    Phil DeGruy

John,

I prefer to use a form with the required fields on it for inputing data. This would be one of the simplest and most direct ways of accomplishing what you want.

Base the form on the set and place the various fields from each table you want to input information in on the form. Arrange the fields however you want for looks, and set the tab order for the correct entry sequence.

FYI, I may get some argument here but... the word database usually loosely refers the whole application. What I believe your calling databases are normally refered to as tables.

I like to think of things this way. It may not be completly correct in syntax but it is easy to remember.

Tables are what contains the data
    Sets are like super tables, in that you are linking multiple tables together so you may see or input the required data from more than one table.
    A Database is a collection of tables.
    An application is the collection of all the tables, sets, forms, browses, and reports that an end user would use

If you already know this, then just ignore my 2 cents.

Hope this helps some.

Phil

Real Name
    ray lane

Hi Phil,

Nicely put I am with you all the way.

-Ray

Real Name
    John Burke

Thank you Ray, I've tried with all the field I require, and it work fine for a "one of" field requirement. My form requires some fields to be entered many times. eg; more than one carrier bidding on a load. My form would be to unweilding it I had to put car1, car2, etc etc. I found the browse entry offered me unlimited picks, and it works well. I tried putting an "onexit" event, but I hand to exit the browse for it to work, then it didn't matter as I was already out of the browse. Anyway thanks for everyone's input, I'll live with what I have to do(F6 or arrow ot get rid of new line)

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Here's my take on using a browse for data entry.

1) When there are more fields than what can be seen w/o scrolling, a form can be handier.

2) The tab order cannot be set whereas in a form, it can.

3) There are many other features available on a form that are not available on a browse.

No doubt there are other pluses for using a form vs a browse. On the other hand, if there are only a few fields and the form's features are not needed, why not use a browse? The invoice form in Alpha Sports utilizes a browse for data entry.

All that said, the folks at Alpha are making major changes in the browse for v6 and I suspect they will be feature rich to say the least.

kenn

Real Name
    ray lane

Hi Ken,

You better check about the major changes in the browse for v6, Rumor has it that v6 will have no change to the browse.

-Ray

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

If that's true it would be very unfortunate after all the talk about redoing the browses in v6 at the last conference. Most of the improvements listed in the "What's new" are back end. The proposed changes to the browses were the major improvement to the front end (user interface). If this is not in the first version of v6 I hope it will be in a future patch. (I really could use some of the talked about browse features)

Russ