Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Msg in Browse form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Msg in Browse form

I have a browse form which I enter diff info in, when I come to the last column in the browse and press enter it auto goes to the next line. Can I have a msg box at that column field, to ask if I want to add another, whatever, and if I choose no to take me outside the browse to the next field, or am I restricted to using the mouse pointer. Still learning, not very fast. tks jb

RE: Msg in Browse form

Hi John,

This can be done but not advised as this would not lead to good data input. There are two ways around this. When you are in the last column press F6 this will take you out of the browse. The other way is when the new line has been started press the Up key and the new line will not be active.

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
    London.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi John,

Some would not do data entry in a browse they/me would bring up a separate form for data entry and use the browse for viewing records.

Just my 2 cents
      -Ray

Comment

Thank you guys for the imput. I was using the F6 and the up arrow, just look for an earier route. As far as imputing data into a browse table, I'm a new user just taking my cue from the Alpha Sports example. The data I have to enter goes to many different databases, so the form is based on the set. Do you have another example of data imput without using the browse method. I see no problem with the way I'm currently entering data, maybe there is pitfalls I haven't ran into yet. Any enlightment is greatly appreciated. tks jb

Comment

John,

I prefer to use a form with the required fields on it for inputing data. This would be one of the simplest and most direct ways of accomplishing what you want.

Base the form on the set and place the various fields from each table you want to input information in on the form. Arrange the fields however you want for looks, and set the tab order for the correct entry sequence.

FYI, I may get some argument here but... the word database usually loosely refers the whole application. What I believe your calling databases are normally refered to as tables.

I like to think of things this way. It may not be completly correct in syntax but it is easy to remember.

Tables are what contains the data
          Sets are like super tables, in that you are linking multiple tables together so you may see or input the required data from more than one table.
          A Database is a collection of tables.
          An application is the collection of all the tables, sets, forms, browses, and reports that an end user would use

If you already know this, then just ignore my 2 cents.

Hope this helps some.

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,

Nicely put I am with you all the way.

-Ray

Comment

Thank you Ray, I've tried with all the field I require, and it work fine for a "one of" field requirement. My form requires some fields to be entered many times. eg; more than one carrier bidding on a load. My form would be to unweilding it I had to put car1, car2, etc etc. I found the browse entry offered me unlimited picks, and it works well. I tried putting an "onexit" event, but I hand to exit the browse for it to work, then it didn't matter as I was already out of the browse. Anyway thanks for everyone's input, I'll live with what I have to do(F6 or arrow ot get rid of new line)

Comment

Here's my take on using a browse for data entry.

1) When there are more fields than what can be seen w/o scrolling, a form can be handier.

2) The tab order cannot be set whereas in a form, it can.

3) There are many other features available on a form that are not available on a browse.

No doubt there are other pluses for using a form vs a browse. On the other hand, if there are only a few fields and the form's features are not needed, why not use a browse? The invoice form in Alpha Sports utilizes a browse for data entry.

All that said, the folks at Alpha are making major changes in the browse for v6 and I suspect they will be feature rich to say the least.

kenn
                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Ken,

You better check about the major changes in the browse for v6, Rumor has it that v6 will have no change to the browse.

-Ray

Comment

If that's true it would be very unfortunate after all the talk about redoing the browses in v6 at the last conference. Most of the improvements listed in the "What's new" are back end. The proposed changes to the browses were the major improvement to the front end (user interface). If this is not in the first version of v6 I hope it will be in a future patch. (I really could use some of the talked about browse features)

Russ

Comment

Working...
                    X