Alpha Video Training

Thread: Cannot access file - Lost indexes

Real Name
    Dave Swinton

Default Cannot access file - Lost indexes

I have a tiered menu application for opening various forms with buttons to open varius sub-menus or forms:
    Main Menu - Ex: Reps, Customers, Parts, Etc
    1st. tier- Ex: Parts - Maintain Parts, Part Reports, Etc
    2nd tier - Ex: Maintain Parts
    On each of the forms in the 2nd tier, I have placed a button enabling the user to access various tier 1 menus without having to return to the main menu. Also, before, going to a new form/menu, I close the existing form.

For additional information, several of the forms access sets which use the table CUSTMSTR.

I can proceed through the menu and sub-menu several times until I open the form for customers. Then, I cannot access any of the other forms.

I will first get the message "Cannot access file - file being used by another process - refering to the CUSTMSTR table.
    Next, I get an error 1 message - What is this error?

In the trace window I get messages such as:
    Error:
    Add subform link add Menu_Parts

Hook Error:
    addin.variables().a5_error_show( Script:OnPush line:47
    varP_Parts_Data_Entry = :Form.view(layout_name)
    Error 1 ) : *INTERMEDIATE_00000189.a5_error_show method not found.

When I go to the Custmstr table, all indexes are gone!

I don't know what is going on or what step to take next. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default RE: Cannot access file - Lost indexes

Dave,

I don't have anything definite for you but have you compacted the database? Or at least the table/set that the Customer form is in?

Also, the "Add subform link add Menu_Parts" error sounds like it goes along with the loss of indexes. I'd check any related set links and whatever form has a Menu_Parts form in it.

It may help to rebuild the form. I've seen situations where that seems to fix otherwise unknown problems.

Real Name
    Dave Swinton

Cal,
    Thanks for the reply. I believe that the main problem is the lost indexes in the Custmstr table. I have compacted all tables in the database. I have copied Custmstr as a temp table excluding the indexes and then renamed the temp table Custmstr and recreated the indexes and still no luck.

After I access the customer data entry form several times, I can no longer open any set containing the Custmstr table. I then find that Custmstr is devoid of all indexes.

I guess my next try is to recreate the cust data entry form but I'm not overly optimistic. I just can't stop the disappearing indexes in the Custmstr table.

Let me know if you have in other ideas.

Thanks, Dave

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Dave,

Check the fieldname rules in the docs. Only certain characters are legal. Maybe you have an illegal fieldname in your table structure? -- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

Data entry programs based on a set of which the CUSTMSTR table is a child are the most likely cause.I have seen this - Jerry Brightbill has seen this and others.
    You might want to describe the sets and how ( if at all ) customers are added when using these sets for data enrty.Also are these errors more likely to occur at busy times??

Real Name
    Dave Swinton

Tom,
    Thanks for the suggestion. The problem does seem to be associated with field rules. In the prtmstr table I used the table custmstr as a lookup for the customer ID code. When I specified the entire lookup path, c:\ \ \ \custmstr.dbf instead of just custmstr.dbf, the problem seemed to go away.

I don't understand why the entire path must be specified in this instance. I use custmstr.dbf as a lookup in other tables without having to specify the complete path with no such problems.

Anyhow, I am no longer loosing the indexes in custmstr.

Thanks again.