Alpha Video Training
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cannot access file - Lost indexes

  1. #1
    Member
    Real Name
    Dave Swinton
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    20

    Default Cannot access file - Lost indexes

    I have a tiered menu application for opening various forms with buttons to open varius sub-menus or forms:
    Main Menu - Ex: Reps, Customers, Parts, Etc
    1st. tier- Ex: Parts - Maintain Parts, Part Reports, Etc
    2nd tier - Ex: Maintain Parts
    On each of the forms in the 2nd tier, I have placed a button enabling the user to access various tier 1 menus without having to return to the main menu. Also, before, going to a new form/menu, I close the existing form.

    For additional information, several of the forms access sets which use the table CUSTMSTR.

    I can proceed through the menu and sub-menu several times until I open the form for customers. Then, I cannot access any of the other forms.

    I will first get the message "Cannot access file - file being used by another process - refering to the CUSTMSTR table.
    Next, I get an error 1 message - What is this error?

    In the trace window I get messages such as:
    Error:
    Add subform link add Menu_Parts

    Hook Error:
    addin.variables().a5_error_show( Script:OnPush line:47
    varP_Parts_Data_Entry = :Form.view(layout_name)
    Error 1 ) : *INTERMEDIATE_00000189.a5_error_show method not found.

    When I go to the Custmstr table, all indexes are gone!

    I don't know what is going on or what step to take next. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.


  2. #2
    "Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    5,763

    Default RE: Cannot access file - Lost indexes

    Dave,

    I don't have anything definite for you but have you compacted the database? Or at least the table/set that the Customer form is in?

    Also, the "Add subform link add Menu_Parts" error sounds like it goes along with the loss of indexes. I'd check any related set links and whatever form has a Menu_Parts form in it.

    It may help to rebuild the form. I've seen situations where that seems to fix otherwise unknown problems.

  3. #3
    Member
    Real Name
    Dave Swinton
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    20

    Default RE: Cannot access file - Lost indexes

    Cal,
    Thanks for the reply. I believe that the main problem is the lost indexes in the Custmstr table. I have compacted all tables in the database. I have copied Custmstr as a temp table excluding the indexes and then renamed the temp table Custmstr and recreated the indexes and still no luck.

    After I access the customer data entry form several times, I can no longer open any set containing the Custmstr table. I then find that Custmstr is devoid of all indexes.

    I guess my next try is to recreate the cust data entry form but I'm not overly optimistic. I just can't stop the disappearing indexes in the Custmstr table.

    Let me know if you have in other ideas.

    Thanks, Dave

  4. #4
    "Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    23,311

    Default RE: Cannot access file - Lost indexes

    Dave,

    Check the fieldname rules in the docs. Only certain characters are legal. Maybe you have an illegal fieldname in your table structure? -- tom

  5. #5
    "Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,736

    Default RE: Cannot access file - Lost indexes

    Data entry programs based on a set of which the CUSTMSTR table is a child are the most likely cause.I have seen this - Jerry Brightbill has seen this and others.
    You might want to describe the sets and how ( if at all ) customers are added when using these sets for data enrty.Also are these errors more likely to occur at busy times??

  6. #6
    Member
    Real Name
    Dave Swinton
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    20

    Default RE: Cannot access file - Lost indexes

    Tom,
    Thanks for the suggestion. The problem does seem to be associated with field rules. In the prtmstr table I used the table custmstr as a lookup for the customer ID code. When I specified the entire lookup path, c:\ \ \ \custmstr.dbf instead of just custmstr.dbf, the problem seemed to go away.

    I don't understand why the entire path must be specified in this instance. I use custmstr.dbf as a lookup in other tables without having to specify the complete path with no such problems.

    Anyhow, I am no longer loosing the indexes in custmstr.

    Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. Lost Access to Form
    By Glen Payton in forum Alpha Five Version 5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 12:22 PM
  2. Lost Indexes: Return of the Thread
    By djones092 in forum Alpha Five Version 5
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:07 PM
  3. LOST INDEXES
    By tomlitscher in forum Alpha Five Version 5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 10:57 AM
  4. Lost Indexes
    By James Smith in forum Alpha Five Version 4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-01-2002, 07:08 AM
  5. Lost Indexes
    By Keith Hart in forum Alpha Five Versions 2 and 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2002, 10:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •