Alpha Video Training

Thread: Color equation problem

Real Name
    Greg Ojeda

Default Color equation problem

I'm using a report that prints out our class list broken down into five groups, and everything is working great. However, I decided to modify the report to display the names of the classmates no longer with us with white text on a black backgroud. I went to field properties in the report, and clicked on color equation to make the change, but when I display the report, nothing printed for that group. I played around with other colors for text, and they all worked, but I could not get the color equation to change the background color (it remained white). I've changed the text and background colors in a browse, and it works fine, but not in the report. Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated. I have a PIII, 500mz with 640Ram running Win 2000.

Greg Ojeda

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: Color equation problem

Greg,

I doubt the computer (as stated) has anything to do with this but rather how you've got it set up. Can you give us the exact settings/expressions, locations, etc. Basiclly, who, what, when, where, why and how.

kenn

Real Name
    Greg Ojeda

Ken,

I just tried another report I had, and it worked fine. I was able to change the background color of the field I tried. I did the same thing to change the color that I did on the other report. One of the fields in the report that won't work (change background colors) is a calculated field (trimmed lastname field plus firstname field), and I also tried it on the phone field. I'm not sure what settings your referring to or locations.

The table this report is based on consists of the following fields: Lastname; firstname; status; address; city; state; zipcode; phone; cellphone; email; and know. All of the fields are character fields except the last which is logical (and this field is not used in the report). The report was a simple tabular one created with the report genie. All of the fields in the report have a single line border on all sides. In field properties under the font tab, the attributes has color Wintext black. The color equations under the setup tab, is set to display different colors when the status field equals certain values. The text color will change, but not the background color. If there is any other information you need, let me know. Thank you, Greg Ojeda

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Greg

It is not possible to know why the expression doesn't work without knowing what the expression is. Please post the actual expression. If you used the genie to build the expression, post the expression that shows in the "color equation" field on the "Other" tab for the browse column properties.

The property Wintext is not always black. It is the current text color for the current Windows display scheme. Winback and Wintext can lead to odd problems, which is why many developers specify an actual color. I once ran into a program (Access based) that specified the text color as black, but used Winback for background. A used changed his scheme to white on black. His text "disappeared" It was actually black on black.

Jerry

Derron Vandewege

Greg,

I got it to work by doing this: Try going to the properties of that field, select the border tab, set the Fill Style to "solid".

Derron

Real Name
    Greg Ojeda

I want to thank Ken, Jerry, and Derron who responded so quickly to my problem with the color equation. I tried the simplest solution first, which was changing the fill style to solid as suggested by Derron, and it worked. Thanks again guys for taking the time to help me solve my problem.

Greg