Alpha Video Training

Thread: Backorder design advice needed

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Default Backorder design advice needed

My wife has a craft business, and she often ships and bills partials. So, I need to add a backorder system to the Alpha Order Entry system, and I,m looking for advice on the best design.

For example, would you create a new (backorder) order when the order is posted if not shipped complete, or would you use a child table of deliveries?

Thanks for any help,
    Pat

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: Backorder design advice needed

Pat,

I think a lot depends on how you're set up now. Which would be the easiest way to show the delayed shipment? Perhaps a logical field to mark an item as delayed shipment and then uncheck it when it's shipped.

You could easily create a query or whatever to show which customers's orders have been delayed. I wouldn't make it any more detailed than necessary. Keep it simple.

kenn

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

I have a client who sells merchandise on the internet. We daily get data from AuctionWorks and MonsterDotCom in excel files. I import the data and then process orders.

When an order cannot be filled, I write the backorder to a matching "backorders" table.

Naturally, inventory parts available is the key to the backorders. So when he gets new product delivered, it updates the inventory table.

When the system processes orders, it appends backorders to current new orders, (empties the backorders table,) and processes back orders with the highest priority.

When daily process orders completes, it creates and prints a picking list, for staff to pull items, gives him the opportunity to correct inventory count, and reprocess.

When finished, it writes to backorders all unfilled orders, and sends the data for shipping to UPS and USPS software that prints mailing labels with postage, assigns tracking numbers, etc.

When finished the postage software sends the data back, his alpha software looks for incomplete shipping info, etc., and then emails are sent to all clients with date sent, via, tracking numbers, etc.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Martin,

Thanks. You brought up some very good points.

Your procedure sounds excellent, but my wife's business doesn't have that kind of volume yet. So, for an interim step, I think I'll also take Ken's advice and just make the new order directly into the order table. I'll add a logical field "BackOrder" and a "FromOrder" field so she can track back to the original order if she needs to, and I can use the BackOrder field and Order dates to prioritize the picks. This sounds easy enough that even I can figure it out!

Thank you both for all your help.

Pat

Real Name
    gary keramidas

read this by bill warner from a recent alpha newsletter

http://newsletter.alphasoftware.com/0040203.htm