Alpha Video Training

Thread: Email_client() stopped working?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default Email_client() stopped working?

Can anyone else confirm whether the email_client() function has stopped working?

If I open A5 to a very simple application, go directly to the Interactive Editor and enter:
    email_client()

The A5 email client opens and I can enter a message but when I hit the "send" button, I get a "variable not found" error in a script named "Send_an_E-mail" at a line with the following text:
    email_send_result = email_send(send_to,subject,preview_string,attach,cc,bcc,.t.,text_type,"", profile, .F.)

When I run the debugger, each variable seems to be ok!?

FWIW: The issue started when I tried to run a script which entered a default mail_to, subject, body_text, and attachment. This script worked in past weeks but won't work today. I rebooted the computer and tried sending a simple e-mail directly from the Interactive Editor to see if it was a problem in my script. I'm not sure what version I was on when it last worked.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default RE: Email_client() stopped working?

Oh Great! Now I find out that it actually did send the messages even though I get the error message. One customer ended up getting 6 copies of the same invoice!

(Yes, I did check it in my email_outbox but nothing was there. I also sent myself an email but, due to delays in receiving them from my own email, they didn't appear to be going out.)

Real Name
    Kevin Anderson

I'm seeing the same thing Cal when attempting anything that requires Alpha's own email "compose" dialog to open but when using the following code on a button it sends as it should, with no errors. I've seen others reference this and I expect it will be corrected soon.

Kevin Anderson

DIM ps AS P
    DIM pm as P

pm.from = "kev@andersoft.com"
    Pm.from_alias = "Kevin Anderson"
    pm.to = "nka@andersoft.com"
    pm.cc = ""
    pm.bcc = ""
    pm.subject = "JailCom Invoice"
    pm.message = "Invoice Attached"
    pm.html_message = "Invoice Attached"

pm.attachments = ""%str%
    C:\jailcom\inv_prt\invoice.pdf
    %str%

' send message

IF email_smtp_open(ps, "andersoft.com")
    email_smtp_send(pm, ps)
    END IF

Email_smtp_close(ps)

Real Name
    Jeff Wolfe

Cal,

I've left a few messages regarding the Email_client() function and some quirky behavior. I do have a rather detailed funtion working on a button on a form. Simply it uses the report.saveas funtion and then opens the e-mail client function to send this report to a designated customer. It seems to work fine as a button but if I move the code to a custom menu A5 will freeze and I have to restart A5. I am using Alpha's built in e-mail client and I'm trying to clean up a form by moving buttons to a custom menu. I received the "variable not found" error in the beginning but now it is just freezing the system

Alpha Software Employee AaronBBrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Cal,

Can you send me a copy of your outbox and your email settings (I don't need passwords or anything). Nothing has changed in email_client() in a over a year, but I have seen this occur before and want to track the problem down.

Thanks,
    Aaron

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

I will send them on a separate e-mail but, in case it means anything or will help anyone else, I noticed as I was zipping them that the .ddx file has disappeared. The .ddm and .ddd are still there.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Some days I hate working with computers!

The email_client() is working again and I have no idea why.

I did rename the old .ddd and .ddm files (as noted previously, the .ddx was missing) then opened the table so A5 would recreate all 3 data dictionary files. Then I deleted the new .ddd and .ddm and renamed the originals to get them back then ran a dictionary update in hopes of resetting the .ddx file. At that point, I rebooted and tried the email_client() but it still caused an error. Now, after deleting a few files and copying some stuff to CD (i.e., some general cleanup), the d(#*$& thing works.