Alpha Video Training

Thread: clearing ALL tab stops @ once

Chris Zito

Default clearing ALL tab stops @ once

I did a search and could not find this specific info: is it possible to clear all the tab stops on a form at once?
    I want only two or three items out of hundred(s) to actually get a stop and hope that I do not have to set each individual property.

Volunteer Moderator drgarytraub's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Default RE: clearing ALL tab stops @ once

Hi Chris,

I HIGHLY recommend the add-in designed by Cal Locklin - it easily does exactly what you want, AND many other very useful and time saving fearures. Be sure to check it out. It is called AIMS Format.

Gary

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

What are "tab stops" on a form?

"Certified" Alphaholic Melvin Davidson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melvin Davidson

Tab stops define what fields can "tabbed" to and the order of tabbing.

In design mode for a form, just select Arrange for the menu, the "Set Tab Order", you will see the tabs and order or tabbing which you can change.

Oddly enough, there is a section in the User Guide
    under Form Design entitled "Setting the Tab Order". :)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Thanks for the plug Gary. And, it's nice to know it's appreciated - I generally don't hear from people once they've got it and this often makes me wonder if they are still using it or not.

The website for my apps is www.aimsdc.net/Programs.htm

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Like Duhhh...

Thank you, Melvin.

I was envisioning "hundreds" of tabs on a tabbed object, or tabs like on the ruler in MS-Word. I am familiar w. Alpha "tab stops". Just totally forgot that's what they are called.

Peter

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

Not wishing to take away from Cal's excellent function, the facility is available within A5 by selecting an object that already has the tabstop disabled. Right click and then select "advanced" and then copy selected properties. You then get to choose whatever properties you want to copy. Then highlight the other objects and when right clicking you get the option to paste selected properties.

Regards

Glen Schild

Real Name
    Sherrill Stott

Hi Cal,

I also wanted to endorse your AIMS format addin. I have been redoing several forms, and it has saved me lots of time. Thanks so much.

Sherrill

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Glen, you are absolutely correct and it's good that you pointed this out. However, with mine you simply select all (or lasso everything) then turn off the tab stops. It doesn't matter that everthing you selected still has the tab stop property turned on (or doesn't even have a tab stop property).

"Select once, open AIMS Format, and turn it off" is still faster than "Right click and then select "advanced" and then copy selected properties. You then get to choose whatever properties you want to copy. Then highlight the other objects and when right clicking you get the option to paste selected properties." And, you forgot that you first have to select one of the objects and set the property that you want ('no tab stop' in this case) before it can be copied. Using my routine, the whole thing is done as quickly as setting the property on the one object. I ran a check and found 9 clicks vs. 5 but I think the total time difference is much greater than that.

For the occasional developer, this isn't much of an issue. For someone that does this for a living, anything you can do to save time is beneficial. There are also some other useful things like setting object names 'en masse' so they are easier to identify when using the code editor or xbasic explorer. (I know, based on the apps others have sent me, that most people don't bother with naming layout objects but I still think it's a lot easier to identify Find_btn, Done_btn, and Save_btn than it is to identify Button1, Button2, Button3, etc. Maybe one of the reasons they don't do it is because it's normally so time consuming.)

I wrote AIMS Format before Alpha came out with their Copy Appearance routine. I did it because Selwyn said it could be months, if ever, before the routine was ready. Then they released their routine about 4 weeks later which was 2 weeks after mine was done.

Cal Locklin
    www.aimsdc.net

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

Cal

No worries and by way of endorsement, just put another $19 in your pocket for myself!!!! Mind you with the Dollar/Sterling rate as it currently is, have gotten myself a bit of a bargain!! :-)

Regards

Glen

Chris Zito

Holy Cow! I go away for the weekend and my simple question turns into an explosion of info! Thanx to all who replied - Cal's utility is EXACTLY what I am looking for.