Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can you change Alpha Workspace Appearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you change Alpha Workspace Appearance?

Is it possible to change the looks of the Alpha Workspace on which our forms etc. are placed ?
    Standard it is colored grey, I would like to have a background picture placed there.
    Does anyone know if this can be done?

Kind regards,

Marcel

RE: Can you change Alpha Workspace Appearance?

Marcel

You can always use a bitmap as a form background. In form properties, select backdrop. You can change the color or apply a bitmap.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I know how to change the form background. But what I would like to do is change the looks of the workspace where the form is placed upon. (Hard to describe..). You know the space that is normally grey.
      Would that also be possible?

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

I'm not fully clear on the "workspace" you are referring to but have you investigated the "Styles" on your settings? Many aspects of the display which are grey under the "Alpha Five Default" style will be different upon switching to a different style.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Yes, I know. I am having trouble defining what I mean here. Let me put it this way: I mean the space that shows up when Alpha is loaded, but not yet any database.
          At that moment you are directly grinning at it.
          As it also runs in the runtime application, it would be nice if that had the same background as my forms, just a bit more transparant though.
          Could I attach an image to it in any way ?

Greetings,

MArcel

Comment

I think he is refering to the Main Alphafive window. Where all the forms opens on top of it. I doubt we can change or customize that.

Comment

Hi Claudio,

Yes that's what I meant. Why didn't I say that ?
              Maybe can it be changed on start-up ?

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

There is no way to do what you ask, however, you might want to look at this thread. It should give you some good work around ideas.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=11&id=55083&thread=54893#MSG54893

Scott

Comment

Marcel,

As far as I know, it can't be changed. I'm glad you mentioned that, though. It would be nice to customize one's working environment since we spend so much time there. So, here I go...

If* it is easy to "fix", could ver. 6 include a background color change?

Peter

*Damn the feature creepers!
                  (guys like me :)
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Marcel

While that background can't be changed, there are ways around it in a completed application. One, you can open all forms maximized, which is what many developers do. Two, you can simulate maximized on any or all forms using window_position("fill", "fill"). This is what I do with an opening menu form. It fills the A5 window space and is always open. All other forms open on top of this form. If they are not set to fill the window, the menu is shomn in the background. You could just open a form on startup that is only a background and set it to fill the window.

Jerry

Comment

It is not possible to do this in V5.
                      In V6 it will be possible.
                      Here is an extract from the V6 documentation describing how to do it.

New Page 1

col.whs1 {width: 100%;}
                      tr.whs2 {x-cell-content-align: top;}
                      td.whs3 {width: 100%; padding-right: 10px; padding-left: 10px;}
                      ol.whs4 {list-style: decimal;}
                      -->

Creating Wallpaper for Your Application
                      What is "Wallpaper"
                      When you run Alpha Five and you have not maximized the child windows, you see
                      a gray background behind each open window. This gray background is the
                      application "wallpaper". Alpha Five lets you design your own wallpaper by
                      specially configuring a form to be shown as the wallpaper.
                      Creating Wallpaper
                      Alpha Five Version 6 feature allows you to enhance the presentation of your
                      application. You can now create "wallpaper� for your Alpha Five application.
                      The

"WINDOW".ZORDER() method, in combination with other Alpha Five features,
                      allows you to use a form (as the background for your application) that:

contains an image (or images)

contains links to URLs

contains an ActiveX control, such as an Internet browser

or any combination of the above

The technique is simple.

After designing your "wallpaper" form, make the form fill
                      the MDI client area without maximizing it.
                      Place the following statement in the form's OnActivate
                      event.

topparent.window_position("fill","fill")

To keep the form at the bottom of the stack when you open
                      other windows and click on the wallpaper form, add the following statement
                      to the form's OnDeactivate event.

topparent.zorder("bottom")

Modify the form's properties by right clicking on the
                      form and selecting Properties ...

Select the Form tab and check
                      Hide status bar.

Select the Window tab and
                      uncheck all of the Window style options.

Set the Frame style to
                      "Dialog". Save your results.

Supported By
                      Alpha Five Version 6

Comment

So now we actually got to see something of V6....
                        Looks good.
                        Makes me think though, that the same trick could be done in V5.
                        Why not make a form with the desired background, have it stretched out to the max of the background and leave it open just there, open the other forms just above it and....voila!
                        Now see if it will work in the real world...

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

As I already thought: it can be done.

Create a form, go to properies.
                          Go to the tab 'Window'.

Remove the marks for sizeable, system menu, has caption, minimize button and maximize button. Frame style to 'tool'.
                          On the tab 'backdrop' mark use bitmap in tile mode. Chose the right image file.

Set an event on OnActivate. Using action scripting chose 'position window', then mark the box 'Size the window so that it fills the Alpha Five client area' and you are ready to go !

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel

If you look at the code created, you are doing exactly the same as what I suggested, which is creating a non-maximized form that fills the window.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Jerry,

I will check that. Point is , that I am not too strong in xbasic code yet, I live on action scripting.

But reading enough stuff from guys like you will get me there in the end...

Good that it works. In this way you can customize your application even more.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Comment

Working...
                              X