Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Bug with SubReports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug with SubReports

Referencing the post from last April "Subreports gone AWOL"

Is Alpha going to fix this problem or has anyone come up with a solution. I read John's recommendation, but I don't understand what he meant.

I just spend an awful lot of time designing a report only to find this problem.

I wish that there was some space devoted to this web site which addressed these known problems or at least made note of them.
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

RE: Bug with SubReports

Ron,

For future reference, if you had replied to the last message posted in the other thread that entire thread would have moved to the top of the list. Now, no one can tell what you're talking about without going to the trouble to go find the other thread. -- tom

Comment

Hello Ronald:

I agree with Tom, it would have been easier if you just added a new reply to the end that thread.

As you probably know, Alpha is simply phenomenal when it comes to fixing bugs in their product. Users describe bugs in this forum and within a very short period of time, they are fixed. However, I don't think that is the case with this Sub Report issue.

I don't have any factual information, but I have a feeling that tech support couldn't duplicate the problem or they feel it is a trivial issue and they have more pressing matters to work on. Or maybe they cannot find a solution? For whatever reason, it appears as if this problem still exists.

I just happened to be talking with another user who said this problem regularly occurred with Win 98, but it cropped up only intermittently when he moved up to Win 2000. What operating system are you using?

Robert T

Comment

Ron

Can you post what you have or email it to me?

I found the post that you were refering to with the search and found that one subreport problem occurs when the first grouping has one of the one to manys without any children.
        And there have to be three one to manys from the parent.

The interesting part is that if it is any subsequent group can have a one to many without children, but will still report the others.

Now if you use the report current record from a form and show the later group, for the report it becomes the first and only group and therefore doesn't print the subreport items.

Makes for an interesting situation where some groups print (when all are shown), put don't print when they are the first group.

I'd like to see if your circumstance fits that or is something else.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

First I'm very, very sorry I didn't continue the original post. I'll never do it again. Please forgive me.

Second, it happens on Win 98 and Win XP.

The set structure is a parent, a child and 6 grandchild tables. All grandchild tables are one to many.

If the first grandchild (first subreport) has no records to be printed, then the fourth subreport will not print.

If I put a record into the first grandchild (first subreport), then the fourth subreport prints.

Al, I'm short on time but I will get back to you regarding your e-mail.

Ron
          Alpha 5 Version 11
          DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Hello Ron:

There is no need to apologize reference the thread issue, we mentioned that to help you in future inquiries.

Since there still isn't any fix from Alpha Software, is it possible to ensure your first grandchild table always has at least one record, even if it's a meaningless one? For now, that seems like the easiest work around.

Robert T

Comment

Ron

Does this happen with every group of the child records or just in the first group?

I sent the same database to you that I sent to Selwyn and he was able to reproduce the problem that I identified.

Now I'm trying to confirm if the problem that you have identified is the same problem or another.

It would help us clear up this problem.
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

I just ran a test invoice.

The first item #1 has no labor (The first sub-report).
                There are 4 sub-reports that follow. Each sub-report has a record. When I print the report, none of the sub-reports print.

I then added a #2. It has no labor either, however; all the sub-reports printed.

So it appears that it's only the very first time that the report calls for the sub-reports and only if the first sub-report has no records.

I'm attaching a screen shot. Item #1 has records in all the sub-reports except for the first sub-report which is Labor.

Item #2 is the same as item #1.

Item #3 has records in all sub-reports except for Outside Work.

Items #2 & #3 printed correctly, #1 did not.

Item #4 has no labor and just one record in one sub-report. It has no labor, yet the misc sub-report printed.

I hope this helps.

Ron
                Alpha 5 Version 11
                DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

That pictures doesn't look very good.

Try this one.
                  Alpha 5 Version 11
                  DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Ron

That's the same error that I found. It can be avoided by adding a dummy record which involves some preprocessing.

Even if the dummy record is filter out by the report selection filter, all the sub reports display the proper records.

For me to get the dummy record, I subtracted the child table from the parent giving all of the parents with missing children. Then appended from the result to the child table with an added field to indicate that the record was 'automatically' generated and therefore should be disposed of at a proper time.

I found that if any of the sub reports has no records, then none would print, I repeat that process for each sub report table to be sure that the records are there.

I imagine that other ways are available to do that ( xbasic - read parent scan child?) and some are better in particular circumstances.

I'm not advocating it as a solution, but it is a work around and can be scripted.

It is more important to find out if anything else needs to be looked at by Alpha development while they are in there fixing this.

Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello Al,

I may have been the instigator of the original thread on this, back in version 4 days. This issue caused me no small headache as I had a system in production for almost a year before this issue was discovered. The application was an invoicing application, so for the better part of a year, a portion of the invoices had been wrong, and not in my clients favor. I have played quite a bit with it, and have since sworn off using sub-reports because of this issue. Here is what I found:

Two one-to-many links to a parent table, I�ll call the child tables, child1 and child2. Place child1 on a subreport on report, then place child2 on a subreport on the same report. If child1 doesn�t have any records, but child2 does, the child2 records do not print. If you edit the report, delete both subreports. Save the report, then add back in a subreport for child2, then the second subreport for child1, the problem reverses. If there are no records in child2, then the child1 subreport will not print any records. This isn�t repeatable every time, that is probably why Alpha has not fixed this. But I found that once this problem crops up, it continues on every situation that meets the above criteria. Copy the entire system to a different computer and the problem will disappear, only to crop up later. When I first saw this issue, I went into the report, made a meaningless change, saved it, then did a database compact. The problem went away, only to come back a week or so later, on a working system where no changes had been made to the data dictionary files (it was on runtime).

I was consistently able to make the problem go away by putting a bogus sort order on each of the child tables, something like: if(1=1,datefield,datefield) or something like that.

At the time, I sent a sample database that was fairly consistently showing this problem to Alpha, but I don�t know if they were able to duplicate it.

The issue of records for some unknown reason ceasing to print, left me with little confidence in subreports.

Jim

Comment

Did you try putting each subreport on a different conditional object. The condition is show the subreport if records exist. The exist function could be used for the condition - if memory serves me that worked better than the scanning function.

Comment

I read all the posts on this subject. Some of the work arounds quite frankly seemed complicated and some I just don't understand.

Being a person who trys the simple things, I sincerely believe I have solved my problem with a very simple solution.

My report is an invoice. The first sub-report in the detail section is for labor. I simply added an empty text box on the same line as the labor text. I then added IF statements to the text on that line. If the man hours = 0, then text = "", text.

So far in my testing, this approach appears to be working perfectly.

Ron
                          Alpha 5 Version 11
                          DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Hello John,

Actually, I ended up putting both child table fields on a single conditional object and was able to create a 'continuous' browse type effect with intersperced fields from two different tables, ordered by date. So, in the end, I like this approach better than the two seperate sub-reports for this particular application. It allows me to do a true running balance report with multiple tables.

Jim

Comment

Well, my little trick has met with partial failure.

My trick works with the full version and the runtime version as long as the database files are on a local hard drive.

However; it fails when the database files reside on a network drive.

Jim, could you please explain what you did. I think I understand, but it's still grey to me.

Thanks,

Ron
                              Alpha 5 Version 11
                              DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Working...
                              X