Alpha Video Training

Thread: copy to different adb

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default copy to different adb

I'm not sure if this is even supposed to work, but

in one adb I made a report, and I said copy to, more, and selected a copy of the adb ( a different adb), and picked the same set the original was made from, and when I said okay, there was a pause and activity indicating it was copying, but it did not copy.

using 1058

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default RE: copy to different adb

Martin

When you are in the target database (.adb) from the control panel press the refresh button. You'll see your report.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

thank's Al
    tried that, of course - but no, it ain't there
    I can copy a script, successfully

also, as a test, I wen back all the way to build 1040 - but it didn't work there either

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Martin

Please post what you have. That should work for a report as well as a script.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Martin

The report designs are saved in the set data dictionary, which consists of the .set,.sem, sex files and has no connection to the database. If you have the same set with the same tables in a different database, the report should be available in both databases. I don't think you can copy from a set back to the same set.

Jerry

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Martin

Are the databases in different directories with the tables and sets completely different files?

Or is this one directory with 2 databases in that same directory sharing the same tables and sets?

Or some other arrangement?

Jerry's point about reports being in the sets and tables is valid. Hence we need to understand more of the situation.

By telling me that you were able to do it with a script, but not a report, points me to wonder about that report.

Try duplicating the table/set that the report is based on and copy from the duplicate. Otherwise try another report.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

If Jerry is correct about the same named set, duplicate the source set and then copy the report from the duplicated set in the source database to the set in the other data base - I seem to remember this working okay

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

I just saw that Al already said this.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Well, I don't think you can copy a layout based on a set from one adb to another.

I am working with 2 folders, where 1 is an exact copy of the other.

I can copy a form or report based on a single table, but not a set.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Martin, you are not imagining things. I recently discovered the same problem you did.

Background:

I had two copies of the same database but in different folders. One copy was a "development" copy in which I had created a new report. The second copy was the customer's version in which he had made a few changes since I'd last seen it (a situation I don't enjoy) and I wanted to add my new report without losing any of his changes.

Results:

I attempted to Copy the new report from my set into the identical set in the second folder. It would not copy. I was selecting the Copy option then scrolling down to the "more> button to navigate to the second folder and select the appropriate set.

After about 5 attempts and a reboot, I was about to give up and rebuild it in the new db using cut-and-paste on groups of report objects. However, I got another idea that worked perfectly. By adding the set from the second db to my current db (i.e., two identical sets in one db but each set was in a different folder), I was now able to use the Copy option. The Copy option for sets only seems to work if both sets are in the same database.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Thanks Cal. Will try that - in the one adb there is another folder with just a copy of the set, if I understand correctly.

PS: a word of extreme caution. Somewhere before 1051, changes to Alpha were made that will cause the following behavior. If you open a 2nd copy of your adb (in a different folder), and put both in design, and then start cutting and pasting, as from one form to another, or maybe scripts for a table in field rules from one to the other, you will wipe out some of the field rules for a table in the first adb, but it won't be one of the tables you are working on. So you are apt not to catch it immediately.

This has been quite disheartening for me, as this is one of the ways I have developed for several years using multiple monitors.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Cal

I'm doing what Martin is trying to do (and you were trying) all of the time. Without any trouble. Latest build.

Even when the report has nothing to do with the table that it is copied to. Just kind of a place holder. Of course it doesn't function very well, but it can be transferred on to another table/set where it does match up well.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

FWIW: I went back and tested Forms and Browses. They worked fine. Then I tried a report again - no dice. Then I tried other combinations such as:
    Report in table to same table in 2nd folder - OK.
    Report in table to same set in 2nd folder - OK.

THEN, I had to check the "problem situation" one more time:
    Report in set to same set in 2nd folder - OK!

So, although I'm sure I wasn't imagining things and the first "failed" test was on a simple report as were all the rest of today's tests, it appears that this will take a bit to identify the exact conditions that cause the problem. And, since I have a solution, I don't have the time to undertake a more lengthy test.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Al, make a copy of the folder an adb is based on.
    Make a new report for a set in the fist one.
    Now copy that report to the second folder/adb to the SAME set - it should fail if it works like mine.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Al, you'll note that I didn't that much testing in the 3 minutes between your response and my last post. I was checking it as you were writing. I had hoped to be able to identify the exact conditions required to duplicate the problem.

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Cal

I sit corrected.

Attached is a two directory setup where the set to set doesn't work, but table to table and set to table does work.

I took a report in folder 1 database dba for seta and was able to copy to folder 2 database dbb only to tablea. Then I copied from dbb/tablea to dbb/seta to get the resulting target that I originally wanted.

So there is an error/anomaly in the set to set copy.

Darn....

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Here's an update of the previous posting.

The set to set copy doesn't work on any of the folowing objects:

forms
    browses
    reports
    letters
    labels

But it did work on all operations, except summary and crosstab. They gave an invalid object error message when the copy go to the OK step.

Real Name
    Richard Blanchard

Default Re: copy to different adb

Thank you all - I know this thread is old, but it solved my problem. I was trying to copy a report in A5 V5 to the same set in A5V11. Of course it still wouldn't copy. By copying the report to a table and then to the set, it worked like a charm.
    Funny, not everything improves with age. One would have thought that 6 versions later the issue wouls have been corrected.
    Thank you again - Dick Blanchard

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Dick

You also get bonus points for finding such an old thread. (albeit useful)

Not oldie but moldie, just oldie but goodie...
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Robin

But now you can right click on a report in the CP and export it to your desktop, then import it into the other adb.

Of course that is not much help if the source report is in v5...
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford