Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Custom Toolbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Toolbar

In working with the database I'm designing (with your help). I need a custom toolbar ( as it keeps coming up with Alpha info). Where do go to design or change this? I have another question about the Alpha icon (I downloaded one) instead of the one I used in the runtime version setup.exe.

HELP

Mel Karsin

RE: Custom Toolbar

Mel,

Open your application and go to the Control Panel, click the Code tab. Click the 'New' botton at the top of the CP and select Toolbar and then the type of toolbar you want. Alternatively, you could click in the white space of the CP and customize the system toolbar.

A little scary at first, but not too difficult to master. As you work on the toolbar, you can preview it as you go. When you get it the way you want, open your form in design mode, right click on any space where there is no object and select Properties. In the Form Properties dialog, select the Menus/Toolbars tab and complete those dialogs as needed.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Mel,

Custom tool bars and menus are created from the code tab. Select new and then choose which of the items you wish to create.

As far as the icon, I really don't fully understand your question.

Scott

Comment

Thanks, I'll try it and see what happens. I am trying to get a database set up to sell. when i load it onto a cd then reinstall it I get the Alpha icon, when I ran the install setup I used an icon I had on my computer, Alpha, but it keeps pulling up Alpha. Did I drag over one too many files?

Comment

Dave;

I opened my application and could not find ANY code tab. the only code was code editor and that brought me to the interactive window I use for actions or printing, etc.

My biggest problem is when in the end user mode, if I press on the help up on the top of the screen, it gives all the Alpha info. I don't want that. What do I do?

Mel

Comment

Mel,

Go to the Alpha Five control panel. Right click any tab. A drop down list of all possible tabs will appear. Click on any entry in the list to toggle between appear and disappear. -- tom

Comment

Mel:

In a previous thread you described yourself as a NOVICE programmer. Unless there is something wrong with my eyes this morning, it appears as if you wrote:

[I am trying to get a database set up to sell]

Can I ask you a couple of questions?

1. Why is a Novice Programmer trying to sell a database?
              2. Who is going to buy your database?

Thanks,
              Robert T

Comment

Robert

Fair question.

It is a custom database geared toward a select retail end user. It is a simple form and report system, using 15 different forms gathering information about a specific subject.

I am being vague for a reason. I have not had the program copyright as yet.

I have had some experience with databases over the last 15-20 years. This is the firs indepth project I've done. There are people in the specific industry that the database covers that are very interested in it. Therefore I am asking for some help.

Mel

Comment

Mel, you sound like a nice guy but I think you have your priorities out of whack. If this is such a special project for people in the industry, don�t you think they should be working with an experienced programmer, who at least understands the basics of Alpha Five? I mean after all, you can�t even find the Code Panel. Don�t you feel that portraying yourself as an A5 developer at this point in time is nothing less than dishonest?

And do you really expect the highly skilled members of this discussion board to help you, a self-proclaimed novice, build this database? Mel, I don�t know you personally, but I find your attitude difficult to comprehend, if not flat out reprehensible.

This is a discussion board where Alpha users of all levels can learn how to use the program. It is also a place where experienced developers exchange thoughts, ideas, and tips in a very courteous, professional manner. However, I don�t think it is appropriate for us to help you or anyone else perpetrate a fraud as an Alpha Developer.

If you think I am wrong or out of line, please explain further.

Robert T

Comment

Robert,

I felt compelled to reply to your post in an attempt to buffer what I feel was an unnecessarily harsh response to reasonable, valid questions regarding the use of Alpha Five.

Each of us has strengths and weaknesses in whatever we choose to do. The most experienced Alpha developer in the world may find themselves developing solutions for a specific industry about which he or she may know little to nothing at all. On the other hand, another individual new to the Alpha community may have in-depth knowledge of a specific industry but may know little about Alhpa Five. Such is life. We do what we can with what we are given or what we learn along the way.

The Alpha Five board is an invaluable resource for newcomers and experienced developers alike. All should be encouraged to ask questions. And those who are in a position to provide guidance should receive many thanks for their contributions.

Have a Great Day!

Tom

Comment

Tom,

I think Robert's outrage is not one of a new user asking questions as a part of their learning experience, but one of a new "developer" using the combined knowledge of the many people on this message board who took the time to try to learn the product before putting together an application for profit.

I really don't think that there is one developer who uses Alpha software that doesn't wish another developer well in their endeavors, however, buying Alpha 5 as a development tool, then attempting to build an application to sell without even a modest understanding of the software is something else.

Tom

Comment

Hello Tom:

You and I agree about this discussion board, it is a terrific, friendly site where everyone should be free to post any question they have, and that includes new users, all the way up to the most experienced developer. In that sense we�re on the same wavelength, this discussion board is a fantastic learning tool.

But things change when people go out in the business world selling a custom A5 application, portraying themselves as an Alpha developer when in fact they are not. Tom, you don�t have to be a world-class guru to be an Alpha developer, but come on, we�re talking about a guy who can�t even find the control panel.

And if that wasn�t bad enough, he wanted the experienced users in this forum to show him how to build the application he is going to sell. Are you kidding?

This type of behavior can have an impact upon all of us. As someone pointed out to me in a private email, his total lack of understanding of this fabulous product can turn out to be detrimental to all A5 users and developers. In today�s world, customer comments and negative experiences with a product can spread like wildfire on the Internet. When a complete novice tries to sell an application, it will almost certainly fail and then you must ask what will happen.

Here�s my guess Tom. The blame will almost certainly fall upon Alpha Software, and specifically A5, which will get an undeserved serious knock because the guy selling the product doesn�t even know enough to qualify as a user, let alone as a developer.

Robert T

Comment

Ooooooooops.......

Tom Henkel posted a message while I was composing my response to Tom Causey. And when I hit the send button, there was another message from a "Tom". I just wanted to clarify that my reponse was directed towards Tom Causey.

Robert T

Comment

Don't tell me Robert made a mistake. Some one should report him to the "MY @!#$ NEVER STINKS" board.

My apologies to the rest of you well meaning advisors for both my language and my questions. I have a right to make and sell whatever I wish. If you do not want to help me, that's fine. If you feel I don't belong on this forum, it seems that that is Alpha's desicion.

Again I apologise to all, but one.

I still have questions.

Mel Karsin

Comment

Working...
                            X