New call-to-action

Thread: Barcode input......

Real Name
    Todd Carter

Default Barcode input......

Hi all, I'm new to Alpha 5 ,new to db programing in genral. But my question is, where can I find any helpfull information on inputing barcode data into A5, I have found a few items on printing barcodes but none on inputing barcode data.

Thanks for your time.
    Todd.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default RE: Barcode input......

Todd

A barcode reader just reads the code and enters it like keyboard input. Therefore most are independent of the software used. You can search this forum or the Alpha Five Version 4 forum for "barcoding" and get a lot of information. There have also been articles in the Alpha newsletter. You can go to the Alphasoftware.com site and there is a link on the main screen and you can navigate to the archive.

You can also check out the following message from this forum. Just paste the full web address listed below in your browser and it will go to the message.

"http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=11&id=13742&thread=13719

Jerry

"Certified" Alphaholic Tom Henkel's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tom Henkel

Todd,

As Jerry said, Barcode is not really a problem. We use barcode readers for numerous different applications and they work file. All a barcode reader does is translate the code into keyboard-type input. Normally the reader is connected in line with th ekeyboard using a "wedge". If the reader ever fails, you could just key the data in and it would be exactly the same.

Tom

Real Name
    Todd Carter

Thanks! Tom, Jerry (I'll let that go) How about RS232 devices..In detail my customer needs to scan barcodes on boxes on three diferent conveyor lines tally all unique codes and totalize them, then genarate reports for USDA logs, I'm not needing to print them just input scanned info from codes that have been printed on the boxes from another device in the line. I'm either going with 3 com ports or mabey USB devices not sure yet.

Thanks again for your help!
    Todd.

Real Name
    Tom Henkel

I'm assuming that you are going with hand-held portable scanners. Provided they can hold the information, there should be no reason why you can't just "dump" the output from the scanners into Alpha. There may be some programming of the scanners necessary, but I really don't think it will be a problem. They usually have fairly good documentation. We've been using Metrologics and they have been pretty reliable.

Real Name
    Todd Carter

Hi Tom, I was going to use fixed scanners mounted on the conveyor guide rail. This solution needs as little user intervention as posible. So I guess I needed to say that all three lines will be inputing data at the same time. And I think there in lyes the rub.

Thanks
    Todd.

Real Name
    Tom Henkel

I don't think that it really is an issue with 3 lines. Just open the form on a PC at each line, and let it go. There should be no problem. If you only want 1 PC, then you might have a problem.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

I agree with Tom - if you are looking for simultaneous entry from three different scanning devices hooked up to one machine, that may be a problem. Having three PC's run the same program simultaneously - each with its own scanning device - should be simple. If the PC's are networked, the scanned data could be saved to the same database.

Real Name
    Pat Bremkamp

Todd,

Some years ago I used a product called "Software Wedge" from www.taltech.com. It worked through the serial port and, as I recall, you could hook up as many readers as you had serial ports for. Check it out.

Pat

Real Name
    Todd Carter

Hi All THANKS! for all your time I will check out all options

Todd.