Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Citrix Server Installation and Shadow Databases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citrix Server Installation and Shadow Databases

I have an app. designed in v5 and currently runs on a server with about 10 users accessing it. Each of the users has a Shadow Database on their local desktops and a runtime version running on locally. All is fine...

This will be another 8 remote users accessing the app. (from a different country) via a Citrix Server. I know very little about Citrix. My question is, should the app. be running on the Citrix Server or still on the current server? If it has to run on the Citrix server, how will the local users accessing the app. vs. the remote users? or is the Citrix server just a vehicle for remote users to come through but actually run the app. on the server?

Some of these questions might be confusing and maybe dumb? but all info. and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thx
    Kris

RE: Citrix Server Installation and Shadow Database

We have the kind of installation you describe and we run the application on the Citrix server and the local users are mapped to and shadowed from the citrix box. Seems to work fine for us.....but maybe somebody knows a better way.

Bob Whitaker
    Bob Whitaker

Comment

We run remote sites dialing in through Citrix, but, in version 1, there was no such thing as Shadowed databases. The function of Citrix was to allow for the passing of DATA only back and forth to a relatively thin client. If there is some way to make the citrix box strickly a pass-through, then I would think that the shadow would accomplish what Citrix is doing now.

An even better bet would be to use the upcomming web-based alpha and bypass citrix altogether!

Tom

Comment

Thx for the replys...

Currently, I can't wait for the upcoming Web based Alpha... the main question seems to be that if even the local users are accessing the app. thru Citrix, then there might not be any need for Shadow databases and have all the runtime files on the server with little or no degregation in speed. Am I missing something things here?

Thx
        kris

Comment

One way os setting all this up is to have two servers:
          Server1 holds tha Alpha application
          Server2 is the Terminal Services ( Citrix ) machine
          If this is the scenario, then shadowing the app from Server1 would definately speed things up. You would be eliminating a bunch of traffic between the two servers

Comment

I just checked our Citrix server. I have a single runtime folder on it, and all of our remote users, when they sign in, access the programs in the runtime folder. I would then imagine that if you were to place the shadowed databases into the runtime folder, then your users would be able to access the shadowed databases on the Citrix server, and not need a runtime on their own machines.

The more I thought about it, the more I remembered that citrix only passes screens to the remote machines. there is no actual processing at the remote site, only what citrix requires. The PC's at the remote locations are actually only a keyboard and monitor for the virtual machine on the citrix server.

Tom

Comment

John,

Let me see if I understand this properly... My app. the way it is will reside on SERVER1 with the 15 shadow databases on the local desktops, SERVER2 will have the Citrix Server. So I am assuming the app. doesn't have to reside on the Citrix Server itself. When remote users login to the app. thru Citrix, they will actually be running the app. on server1 ? Guess it is up to the lan administrator to somehow map the Citrix Server to Server1 ?

If that is the case, then I would still need to put the Runtime files on Server1 for the remote users and of course the runtime files for all the local users are on their respective desktops...

Am I understanding this correctly?

kris

Comment

Tom,

The way I am understand it, if all users login to the app. thru Citrix, they will all be running the same Runtime from the server and there would be NO need for shadow databases. Makes sense?

Kris

Comment

We run 14 Citrix servers for our internet-based application. Alpha AND the application run completely on the servers and, except in one instance, there is no shadowing.

In general, shadowing will not help if your server is fast and has enough memory. The performance on our servers (multi-processor 1 or 2 gigs ram) is so fast without shadowing that it's not worth the effort.

When the users logon to the Citrix server, the local machine drives are remapped by the server and are visible FROM the Citrix server as V (C), U (D) and so on.

The speed of communication between the server and the workstation will depends on the speed of the network link between them. However, Citrix communications with the local machine are not optimized in any way, so I don't see that shadowing would be better than running the entire thing on the server.

Finian
                  Finian

Comment

Runtime would be on the Citrix server, so the shadow should also be there. If there is no shadow, then the file server would still need to serve out the database and all of it's dictionaries. Shadowing would still be helpful.

Comment

Finian,
                      I assume your sitiation has the Alpha application ( data and dictionaries ) residing on the same machine that the users log onto.If that is the case there is absolutely no reason to optimize - there is no network traffic to reduce.
                      If that is not the case, then optimizing the way Tom Henkel describes ( from the data server to the citrix machine ) will speed things up regardless of the speed of the server.
                      In this case you would reduce network traffic between servers.

John

Comment

Tom,

I might not be getting it... but if all of the processing is taking place on the Citrix server, I fail to understand why a shadow is needed.... especially ON THE SERVER ?

Kris

Comment

Your Citrix server may or may not be the same computer as the file server that contains the actual DBF files. If they are two different computers, you should still shadow from the file server. I think this is probably how Tom's network is set up.

Citrix tends to place a very heavy load on the server and it is a good idea to keep the servers seperate, even with a small number of users. If you do not, the local users could see a significant reduction in performance.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
                          Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                          Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny,

I guess what you are saying is that I should have the app. along with the dbf files running on Server1 (not a Citrix server), then have the remote users come thru the Citrix server (server2) and run the app. on server1. Server1 will have the shadow databases for the local users as I have now.

Guess my question is, when the remore users come thru the citrix server and run the app. on server1, where are the runtime files located? on server1, the citrix server2 ??

Thanks for your help and info.

Kris

Comment

In the scenario you describe the runtime files would be onthe Citrix box (server 2) running the application shadowed from the main server (server 1). Yiu have to imagine that your external users will be running the app as if they were sat in front of the citrix box so you need to configure your installation with that thought in mind. With regard to the overehead citrix puts on its server I think given the power of machines available it is not a big issue, certainly we haven't found it to be yet.

Bob Whitaker
                              Bob Whitaker

Comment

Working...
                              X