Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Tables still open with dialog forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tables still open with dialog forms

A couple of recent patches still have not fixed the bug in which tables opened by a print job run from a form opened as a dialog stay open after the form is closed. This not only results in an error when one then attempts to get exclusive access to those tables, but after that error, A5 is unusable and has to be closed.

Jerry Brightbill suggested a workaround for this but at least for code generated by action scripting, I can't get it to work. And given 2 or 3 recent patches I had hoped I would have to fool with workarounds.

As a possibly separate issue, how exactly is one supposed to use a button created with action scripting that loads a form as a hidden dialog? I guess just convert it to xbasic and add whatever one needs? This is not a bug, just a curiosity.

The open tables thing is a bug.

We need more bugs fixed!

Ray

RE: Tables still open with dialog forms

Hello Ray,

In the Action Scripting 'Open a Form' genie, there is a Tab called 'Options' I believe. It is found there.

Jim

Comment

When is a bug a bug? An interesting question. If there is a simple workaround, it may be annoying, but not a problem that is a show stopper and therefore may not require immediate action.

The solution I proposed is very easy to do in Action Scriping. If you are previewing the report from a button, first use action scripting to create an action to hide the current form.

Add New Action
      Select "Window Commands" from Category
      Select "Hide Window" from Action
      Select "Current form or browse" to hide.
      Save action

Then create the action to preview a report, selecting the options desired.

Then create another action to show the current window using the same process as above, but substituting "Show Window" from the actions.

The above process took at least a minute or two to complete, and about the same to test. It does work.

Jerry

Comment

Ray,

If the issue is previewing from a dialog: in action scripting you can make the preview window modal, then it will work correctly. If that is not acceptable, you have to do what Jerry suggested, which is what i used to do until the modal thing came along in v.5.

Peter
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Jerry,

I already had my own workaround for the problem (maximizing the form in my case was a good enough substitute for a dialog form) and I either misunderstood what you were proposing or mis-remembered what it was when I checked the newest patches for fixes. Your workaround works, as does what Peter suggested. But I have several comments:

First, how easy a workaround is depends on your level of expertise and on your knowing about a particular workaround. If these kinds of clear bugs (described as such by no less than Selwyn himself) are never fixed just because a workaround exists, then I think Alpha ought to seriously consider putting out a document listing the problems and their workarounds. You and I and many others can come up with our own workarounds, but many A5 users, especially new ones, will just get frustrated, possibly to the point of giving up on the product. I am currently trying to get a tech person turned on to A5, but with this kind of thing popping up too often just the opposite is happening.

I do agree that bug fixes should be prioritized, and for me personally the one I focused on is not all that important. But I maintain that these kinds of bugs that either never get fixed or are slow to be fixed are a significant drag on Alpha Five becoming more widely used and respected. We need more of the scenario in which someone reports a bug on the forum and very soon after there appears a response about it being fixed.

Ray

Comment

Ray

While what you say has merit, there are many ways to approach the issue of program errors. One is to acknowledge that they are inevitable and exist in all software and be open about the issues and workarounds. A relatively small company like Alpha with one flagship product can only exist if they keep advancing the product and giving all of us lemmings something new to buy. They have to balance this need for income for survival with the need to fix any and all problems.

I personally think they do an amazing job and are very open about imperfections and frequently show ways to get around the limitations. The fact that updates are both frequent and no cost is NOT an industry standard. Some people take the frequent updates as a sign that there are many problems, not as a response to fix any problem, no matter how minor, as quickly as possible. But every action has a priority. A problem may only exist for a very limited number of users. What cost is justified to fix these?

The other approach is one taken by many major software companies. First, many do not even acknowledge their software has "bugs". Any problem is because of user error. Updates are very rare and sometimes come with a cost. They claim their lack of updates is a sign of a lack of errors in the program, rather than the result of poor support and lack of concern for the user. Instead of fixing bugs, you may have to buy the "new" version to get the updates (features). The buggiest program I use is Microsoft Word and I am not alone.

Which approach do you want?

When was the last time you saw the owner of a company respond on the user forum? Or the actual programmer post a solution to a problem?

Jerry

Comment

Jerry

�Which approach do you want?�

Neither, at least as I think you have outlined them. I did not say they need to fix any and all problems no matter how minor. I am fine with the approach Alpha has taken except to note that that has slipped a bit too much with the push to get v6 out the door. For a while at least the balance got pretty much to be 100% focus on v6 development and no bug fixes. Once they came back to fixing bugs in v5 I simply hoped more would get fixed than were addressed in the recent series of patches. And I tried to make a case, with one example, for fixing more genuine bugs rather than just letting them slide. As I said, I believe there is also a cost to not fixing some of these bugs, namely that some users less committed than you and me will get turned off to what is without doubt one of the best software products on the market. From my own limited experience with trying to get some fairly savvy computer people hooked on using Alpha Five, I know my concern is a valid one.

Ray

Comment

Working...
              X