Alpha Video Training

Thread: Error 8011

Chris Zito

Default Error 8011

The computer kindly informs me:

Error! topparent:Company.value=expression_result
    Error 8011.

The expression itself is sound (at least the ex builder says it checks). I am attempting to lookup a company name from one table and set that value in a form field. Both fields are character fields of the same length.

I have done a search of this phorum for 8011 and have searched all the .pdf book files to try and find a definition of this code w/no luck. What does ERROR 8011 portend?

Thanx in advance.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default RE: Error 8011

I ran a search on "8011" and had 14 hits. Try this thread

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=11&id=41549&thread=41490

Jerry

Chris Zito

Jerry,

Thanx for the response. I read this thread during my initial search, and the field in question did in fact have a lookup (which I removed - to no avail). I am somewhat new to A5 and am utterly oblivious as to the precise meaning (or any meaning for that matter) of 8011. What does 8011 indicate?

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Chris

One of the problems with any error message is that in many cases the error code generated may mean something, but there is no reference to the message or error number anywhere. If you get an error that doesn't seem to have meaning, then you have to look at the code that generates the error and not the actual error. Even when the error code is defined, the context of the error is typically as important as the message.

Looking at the line that apparently causes the error, I can think of a few things to check. First, where is the code located? If the program can't evaluate the object reference "topparent:Company.value" that would cause an error. The other messages about error 8011 concern the same issue you are having. From the answers given, it would appear a possible culprit may be the relative reference "topparent", which may not be referencing the actual form. One way to test is to place this line just before the "topparent:Company.value" line

ui_msg_box("Form Name",topparent.name())

When you change the value, the form will go into change mode if it isn't already. Is there any code that might fire at that time, such as OnChange code?

Also, what is the expression? Posting the expression would be very helpful. The expression must evaluate to the same data type, apparently character. Try testing just the expression to see if the expression or the setting of the value is causing the error.

ex_result = expression
    ui_msg_box("Result",ex_result)

You may also want to sent the expression to a variable and then use the variable value to set the field value.

topparent:Company.value = ex_result

If the table you are trying to open to get the value linked to the current table in a set? If it is, if referential integrity turned on which may lock some records.

As you can see, the questions are many and without specific information it is only possible to speculate on the cause.

Jerry

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

One way to [try to] find out what an error code means is to use Error_text_get() in the interactive editor. However, in this case the results are:

?error_text_get(8011)
    = "Error 8011"

Helpful, isn't it!

Chris Zito

Jerry and Cal,

Thanx for the response. I want to try a few things that Jerry's post suggested, and if they are unsuccesful I will post the specific code and related form and tables. I using Action Scripting for this task as my XBasic skills are still in the development stage.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Very interesting - I've never seen this error before but I saw it today.

Turns out I was trying to assign a blank value to a field that's defined as "required".

In my case, there was the possibility of having default values assigned by the user via two possible methods - where a default from method A would override a default from method B. So, the script used A if it was not blank and used B if A was blank. However, if B was also blank (which is a legitimate possibility), it attempted to enter a blank value as the default for a required field. If both were blank, then there was no default and the user would make the selection at the time the record was created.