Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Calculated Field in Invoice Header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculated Field in Invoice Header

How do you put a "Total" field which is a calculated field into the invoice header.

Thanks,
    Jay

RE: Calculated Field in Invoice Header

What/where is "the invoice header"? A table, a form, a report?
    There can be only one.

Comment

The Invoice is based on a form. The form is then based on a table set called invoice set. I have 3 tables in the set. Customer, Invoice header and invoice items.

Thanks,
      Jay

Comment

Thus my confusion.

" I have 3 tables in the set. Customer, Invoice header and invoice items."

Do you want to put the ""Total" field which is a calculated field" - on the "Invoice" in a header (whole invoice being a report based on a form, I suppose)?

Do you want to put the ""Total" field which is a calculated field" - on the form on which the "Invoice" is based?

Do you want to put the ""Total" field which is a calculated field" - in the "Invoice Header" table?
        There can be only one.

Comment

Sorry Stan for not giving more details. What I have is a Invoice much like Alpha Sports. My calcualated fields would be stored on the invoice based on a form. Maybe my thinking is going in the wrong direction but what I am trying to do is put all information about the invoice into the invoice header. This includes, Customer number, date, product sold, and invoice total. This information would then be available for reports like accounting for customer payments and aging. All I want to do is carry over all invoice information without recreating calculated fields for every report based on that invoice.

Thanks,

Jay

Comment

Hello Jay:

When using A5 there is almost always several different ways to accomplish what you want. For example, you can place fields in the parent table called Invoice or you can put them in the Customer table. The first option would give you a summary of all charges, payments/credits for that specific invoice.

You can also place fields in the customer table that provide a running total for all charges and payments/credits for that customer reference all of their invoices.

And of course, you don�t have to choose one or the other, you can do both.

So how does one set this up? As I said above, there are many different ways, I�m going to discuss my favorite technique. I create 3 fields in the parent table [which you call the Header]. Those three fields are Debits, Credits, and Bal_Due [the names can change]

The Bal_Due field is a calculated field that calculates the difference between Credits and Debits.

There are at least two different ways to get the values from the child table into the parent table. I use an Xbasic script that fetches through all of the child records and calculates the total Debits and/or Credits every time a new child record is recorded.

If you are not into Xbasic programming, you can use Alpha�s Posting Field Rule. If it�s a Debit, post the amount from the child table to the parent Debits field. If it�s a Credit, post the amount to the parent Credit Field.

Did this help?

Robert T

Comment

Thanks Robert,

You are a big help. Also, I have printed out your October 2002 article on Sub-Reports. This should to lead me in the right direction.

Jay

Comment

Hello Jay:

Once you figure out the system and how easy it is, you will love it. From that point on, you will always have an up to date Invoice Balance, or an overall Customer Balance, at your finger tips. And best of all, Alpha will do the work automatically.

If you need more help, please don't hesitate to ask additional questions.

Good Luck,
                Robert T

Comment

Hi Robert,

Sorry to be a pest but my brain refuses to understand common logic. I still cannot get the invoice total into the invoice header. Here are the steps I am following.

1. Invoice Header (Parent) I placed three fields. Debits, Credits and Balance Due.

2. I placed an expression in the Balance Due Field Rule in the Invoice Header, Debits minus Credits

3. In my Customer Table I have the following fields, Debits, Credits and Balance Due.

4. I posted the Customer Child table Debit field to the Invoice Header (Parent) Debit field. Likewise I posted the Customer Child table Credit field to the Invoice Header Credit field.

The missing link is my invoice total (Calculated field). Am I incorrect in trying to add the invoice total to the Debit field in the invoice header?

Mayby I am trying to do this backwords.In your reply you wrote " there are at least two different ways to get the values from the child table into the parent table". What I have been trying to do is get the invoice values from the parent (Invoice Header) and place in the child(Customer)table.

I know this has to be simple to accomplish but I am trying real hard to complicate it.

Thanks again,
                  Jay

Comment

Jay:

You are in now way being a pest. There is a reason why this board exists and it's one of the core factors that make Alpha Five so special.

Right now I'm working on something that is taking up all of my time but let me take a quick shot at it. The following is only for tracking individual invoices

I think you have the general idea, you post debit transactions from the child transaction table to the parent Invoice header. You also post credits [payments] from the child transaction table to the Parent Credits Field. [Or you can have a separate table for Credits/Payments. This is a personal preference choice].

Once that is done, the Balance or Bal_Due field in the Invoice Header table is the difference between Credits and Debits. [Of course I didn't mention shpping and tax because I wanted to keep this example simple. But in the real world, you would usually include shipping and/or taxes in the Bal_Due calculation].

And NO, you don't want to add the Invoice Total to the Debits field. Every time you record a transaction in the child table that amount is posted to the Debits field in the parent table. If a customer orders 3 different items such as :

4 books at $10 per book for a line item total of $40
                    2 DVDs at $15 per DVD for a line item total of $30
                    5 Calendars at $3 per calendar, line item total of $15

Child Table Transactions
                    ------------------------

In the 1st line, $40 is posted to the parent debits field
                    In the 2nd line, $30 is posted to the parent debits field
                    In the 3rd line, $15 is posted to the parent debits field

The parent debits field for this invoice should have a current value of $85. If there are no payments or credits, then the invoice total will be $85 [plus shipping and/or tax].

If there are payments or credits issued, those amounts will post to the Invoice Header Credits field.

The Balance [or Bal_Due] field will then reflect the difference between the Credits and Debits fields, giving you the total amount due for this invoice. But remember, we left out shipping and handling which is usually added in the real world.

Jay, I'm taking a shot in the dark, but it appears as if you understand the above, but your set design may be flawed. You repreatedly mention the customer child table. In general there is a One to One relationship from the Invoice Header to the One customer ordering products.

However, there is a One to Many Relationship between the Invoice Header and the child Transaction Table [whatever name it's given] where you record multiple transactions for that Invoice. Based upon the little I can tell, it sounds as if you're trying to post data from the Customer Table to the Invoice Header, that will not work.

You want to post debits and/or credits from the child transaction table [this is the Many Part of the 1 to Many]to the parent Invoice Header.

Robert T

Comment

Jay:

I just thought of something and I owe you an apology. I use Xbasic to calculate the total debits and credits so my Xbasic script makes those cacluations only for the child records currently linked to the parent invoice record.

I haven't looked at or used Alpha's posting rule in such a long time, that I forgot what it looks like. You almost certainly have to create a condition to make sure the child Inv_No = the parent Inv_No in your posting rule. You only want to post debits and credits for this specific invoice.

I'm sorry about that omission, I'm sure someone who uses the posting rule can give you a clearer set of instructions.

Robert T

Comment

Jay

Here is a similar situation that was worked on recently. Try this and see if it works on your machine. Put it in it's own directory.

What patch level of Alpha 5 are you on?

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=11&id=53464&thread=53339#MSG53462
                        Al Buchholz
                        Bookwood Systems, LTD
                        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Words of thanks to all for you help. Especially Robert. I, along with all in the Alpha community owe you a debt of gratitude for your efforts to help others. My problem is now solved. I looked at different methods used on this forum and sort of came up with a solution. I call it the sausage approach. It may taste good but you don�t want to see how it�s made. Because it deals with payments and credits I�ll be better off testing it for a while before sharing it with others.

One suggestion I�ll like to make is it would be nice to have a tutorial based on the Alpha Sports Invoice on receiving payments. I understand accounting is very complex and should be left to the experts. Just a simple application to enter payments and credits would be nice. Maybe take Robert�s October 2002 article on Sub-Reports and use Alpha Sports Invoice as an example.

Once again thanks.

Jay

Comment

Hello Jay:

Thanks for the kind words. I think most of us operate in a comfort zone utilizing the same old techniques/procedures that we can implement quickly and easily. However, when we cannot solve problems with our current skill set and/or those familiar techniques, that's when you really begin to learn how Alpha Five works

As you probably noticed, when you go through a series of steps to solve a new, frustrating problem, you learn a great deal. Yes I know it wasn't voluntary, but in the end, you will almost certainly come away with a deeper and better understanding of Alpha Five.

Robert T

Comment

Working...
                            X