Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

technical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

technical question

Copied db folder to CD
    Tried to access from laptop
    Could not find or open the MUF file
    It's in the directory, I can see it...
    but it's not on the CD

Any special thing to do to make a copy that I can access and work on????

Dick Coleman

RE: technical question

All files on a CD are generally "read_only" and Alpha needs to have read access.

This is one of the problems new users often run into - they copy the files to a CD then copy them to another computer and nothing works. To use them, the file attributes have to be set to Read_only = OFF. I recommend also setting Archive to ON because the Filefind commands can't find 'normal' files if the archive bit is off.

Comment

I thought that I had done that, but I'll chek it out.

thanx
      D

Comment

If you zip them to a cd rather than copy them you can eliminate this problem. Another way would be to use a backup program to write to cd.

Russ

Comment

True, but what I would like to do IS:
          work on the data-- forms, files, data itself -- make changes then write it back and repeat as often as necessary....

Don't ask why... you wouldn't like the answer..

D

Comment

Hi Richard,

You might try a CR-RW in lieu of a CD_R, never can tell it might work.
            efs

Comment

Richard
              You can use a CDRW disc like a removeable floppy, but first you will need packet writing software such as InCD or DirectCD, but the access time would be so slow for real life database work, you would find it so painful after 10 mins that you wish you never started.

If you need to take your database with you wherever you go, then I would suggest a USB pen, size of the pen depend on how large your databases are, as A5V5 only run under Win98 or above, which is the basic requirment for USB devices, it should work fine as almost all computers today will have USB ports on them.

HTH

Comment

To Richard and others who keep saying things like "all computers today will have USB":

No, all computers today will NOT necessarily have USB.

HOWEVER, all NEW computers today will probably have USB. (I'd say that's at least 99.9% true.)

It might amaze you how many companies, especially after 2 years of relatively hard times, still have OLD computers often running Win98 with small hard drives, slow CPUs, limited memory, and NO USB port.

I only say this to point out that it might be better to say something like "I suggest USB...... but make sure your client base has computers that are new enough to support it."

Comment

Exactly right, Cal. In my company we are loath to throw out older machines. I mean they cost money. We even have a couple P-133's running (not for A5 though). But we do run A5 on a lowly slow P-333 (employees are loath to use that one), as well as P-400's all the way up to P-2200. Recently we upgraded the 64mb ram to 128 mb's on the P-333 and on a P-400. We plan to run them into the ground, if possible.

Peter

FYI: One P-133 drives one of our plotters, the other is used by a very tall Hobbit* who looks just like Osama!

*The hobbit lives in a spider hole (I gotta picture to prove it)
                  :)
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

If you have win 98 and up you can by an add in usb card for relatively little money and the use the usb flash drive.
                    Jim

Comment

Another reason for wanting the CD ( and I do have Direct CD) is that I keep copies on zip disks, 1.2 meg 3.5 floppies as well as on other HD's in my system (1 HD is a 1394 remote....) but being a computer veteran and paranoid, I just thought that an optical copy would be nice in case I ran thru a big magnetic storm....

I'm gone on vacation til FEB....

see y'all

D

Comment

Cal:

Actually, it was Robert, and he said "almost all" which is, I believe, fair enough. Isn't it likely that a computer new enough to support a CD burner (which was the context for the reply) would also support, or already have a USB port?

Yes, there are still some old clunkers out there, but Win98 supports USB - and PCI cards that provide multiple USB ports are inexpensive and easily installed.

Surely we don't need always to cater to "the trailing edge" in our replies?

Bob

Comment

You're right - I addressed it to the wrong person. Sorry about that.

First, let me point out that I was not suggesting we should "cater to" any edge. Quite the opposite - I was trying to point out that we should look at all possibilities. Too often it seems that developers, who tend to have the newest technology, forget that many companies are not willing to spend any more than absolutely necessary on computers and, therefore, don't have the latest technology.

As one of my customers said: To him "It's like pouring money into a black hole." He generally has no idea why he's spending the money other than because somebody said he needs it. Then, every time he turns around they want more. Consequently, if there is any other way to accomplish the task, he doesn't like to approve a new computer expense of any kind - large or small.

As developers, we may buy new technology just to keep up with it because that's our business. For many of our clients, the technology is just a tool for doing something completely unrelated to that technology. So, as long as the tool still works there is no reason to buy a new one.

Re: Isn't it likely that a computer new enough to support a CD burner (which was the context for the reply) would also support, or already have a USB port?

Taken literally, yes, the computer would probably support USB. But that doesn't mean it will have it or that the person who has to approve the purchase will approve an upgrade - even if it is inexpensive and makes sense to you and I. (Ref. the previous paragraph.) Yes, most of my customers have USB support and most have at least one CD burner available - but not all. In fact, one is still using an old P-133 with an old 10x CD drive that can't even read the CDs I burn - thankfully, he has finally agreed to buy a new computer!

Again, I'm only suggesting that we should look at all the possibilities. Maybe this is a bias I've developed because of my position on the local township planning commission but it seems to me that people in general want to look only at their own situation then take a knee jerk reaction if they don't like something; i.e., if "A" is no good then the only answer is "Z" rather than looking at both objectively and seeing that there are advantages and disadvantages to both ideas and to everything in between. Unfortunately, this makes the best (or at least better) answer much more complicated.

Please note, although I'm replying to your question, I'm not directing these comments at you, or at anyone, personally. I also don't want them to be taken negatively since they weren't meant in a negative manner. I just want people to think about the other possibilities when answering questions and not assume that everyone has the latest - or oldest - technology.

Comment

Hey Cal,

One possible solution that works for me: I carry an external zip drive with my portable and I loaded the zip drive software on my client's computer so that when I visit, I simply plug in the external zip drive and we are off and running. I also carry the files on my USB flash drive.

Dave
                            Dave Jampole
                            www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Working...
                            X