Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

<table>mark, fetch, change confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<table>mark, fetch, change confusion

Is there something simple that I don't understand about fetching, marking, or changinging redords? The following code gives predictable traced record number order for a small sample of six records when the asterisked ('****) line is commented out.
    When the ('****) line is enabled, the trace order is tangled...more than ten passes through the WHILE loop with erratic record number order. Several times there is no apparent record pointer move for the AdTable.fetch_prev() and the AdTable.fetch_next() statements in the second half of the IF...END IF construct at the bottom of the WHILE loop.

CODE:
    ' This code eliminates duplicate Adinfo but updates old phone, Status
    ' and firstDate info from the original (oldest) records before deleting.

tblchoice = ui_get_radio("Select Table to Index in Ad order",1,"chrontemp","chronads","chrontest")
    IF tblchoice = "" 'If user presses Cancel...
    END ' end the script.
    END IF
    AdTable = table.open(tblchoice)
    Table.index_create_begin(tblchoice,"Substr(AdInfo,1,100)+AdDate")
    Adx = AdTable.index_create_end()
    AdTable.Fetch_First()
    trace.write(" First "+str(AdTable.recno()))
    while .not. AdTable.fetch_eof()
    vAdInfo = Substr(AdTable.AdInfo,1,100)
    ' vSource = AdTable.Source 'older Source not wanted
    vAdDate = AdTable.AdDate
    vFirstDate = AdTable.FirstDate
    vStatus = AdTable.Status
    vPhone1 = AdTable.Phone1
    vPhone2 = AdTable.Phone2
    AdTable.fetch_next()
    trace.writeln(" Compare To "+str(AdTable.recno()))
    if AdTable.fetch_eof()
    exit while
    end if
    if Substr(AdTable.AdInfo,1,100) == vAdInfo 'duplicate Ad
    trace.write(" Dupe")
    AdTable.change_begin(.t.) 'save desired older field data
    ' AdTable.Source = vSource 'keep newer Source as is
    ' AdTable.Phone1 = vPhone1 'keep older phones in case they were...
    ' AdTable.Phone2 = vPhone2 ' changed from AdInfo in older data
    ' AdTable.FirstDate = vFirstDate
    ' if AdTable.FirstDate

RE: &lt;table&gt;mark, fetch, change confusion

Don,

Since the table is being stepped through in a specific index sequence (not in record number order) it's unlikely the previous and next "record numbers" would be consecutive, right? when you create an index the table records are not physically re-arranged in the table. The index list is simply created.

Still, it's possible the change isn't being finished by the time the next record is fetched. I'd change

AdTable.change_end()
    AdTable.fetch_next()

to

AdTable.change_end()
    Xbasic_wait_for_idle()
    AdTable.fetch_next()

-- tom

Comment

Don,

This may be obvious, but following up on my previous, a better way to trace the accuracy of your script would be to write the index keys to the trace window instead of the record numbers.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks for reply Tom,

I ran tests with Xbasic_wait_for_idle() statements after each AdTable.change_... and AdTable_fetch... and still get the erratic result.
        I understand that the indexed table record number order isn't monotonic. And I'm intuitively suspicious of the index pointer causing fits. I'm considering a work-around by copying records in index order to a new table for processing and then running the script.
        What concerns me is that there is an Alpha bug or there is a problem with my installation of Alpha5V5.

Don

Comment

Thanks for that tip...index key tracing. I'll use that in future cause I had to manually predict the index order from my sample data.

The problem still is that it runs entirely different order and nearly twice as many passes through the main while loop when marking records as when not marking.

Don

Comment

I'll be glad to test it against my installation here if you wish. Post a working model of the database here as an attachment to a reply message. If privacy is an issue email it to me. Please point us to the right form, button, or script, too, ok?

-- tom

Comment

Don,

Try building the desired index first, then running the script without the lines which build (rebuild) the index.

-- tom

Comment

TRACE DATA FOR SAME AdTable DATA:

Below are traces for a "GOOD" run order without marking and then for a "BAD" order with marking statement enabled:

The indexed record number order is 1,6,3,5,2,4 with 1,6,3 and 2,4 groups having duplicate AdData.

***GOOD
                First 1 Compare To 6
                Dupe Prev 1 Mark 1 Next 6 Compare To 3
                Dupe Prev 6 Mark 6 Next 3 Compare To 5
                Compare To 2
                Compare To 4
                Dupe Prev 2 Mark 2 Next 4 Compare To 4
                EOF - First While Loop
                Dupe Prev 6 Mark 6 Next 6 Compare To 3
                Compare To 2
                Compare To 4
                Dupe Prev 2 Mark 2 Next 6 Compare To 3
                Compare To 2
                Compare To 4
                Dupe Prev 2 Mark 2 Next 4 Compare To 4
                EOF - First While Loop

Comment

What is contained in the field AdInfo - especially the first 100 bytes of the field,what is the expression.

I have a feeling there are much better ways to accomplish what you are attempting - if you gave a little explanation of what you are trying to accomplish it might make it easier to assist you.

Comment

Attached zip file is the single table, single script database which exhibits the problem. When running the script, be sure to select the third radio button table name as that is all that I've included.
                    After a run with AdTable.mark() enabled, I just open default browse and unmark the marked records.
                    For this simple table the correct records are marked even though the trace produced indicates "funny" data. For a larger table the results don't make any sense.

Comment

Don,

Check the indextag expression. Is AdDate a date type field? If so, you cannot concatenate it with a string without converting it first.

Is AdInfo a memo field?

We're throwing darts with our blindfolds on because you haven't posted a working model for us to work with... hint, hint.

-- tom

Comment

I'm keeping newspaper ads (that I download from the newspaper website as text files) in a table. I want to eliminate duplicate ads and just keep the earliest and latest dates that they were published.

Except for a little field manipulation I could just eliminate duplicates with a single command...but I want the dates the ad ran and I might manually add a second phone that wasn't in the ad.

My main problem is the apparent inconsistency of the fetch-prev and fetch-next lines depending upon whether the record was modified.

Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Among other things, i think your syntax for building an index is all wrong. unfortunately there are a lot of mistakes in the documentation, inserting "table" instead of .

instead of
                          AdTable = table.open(tblchoice)
                          Table.index_create_begin(tblchoice,"Substr(AdInfo,1,100)+AdDate")
                          Adx = AdTable.index_create_end()

AdTable= table.open(tblchoice)
                          AdTable.index_create_begin("AdInfoIndex","substr(AdInfo,1,100)+cdate(AdDate))"
                          ' note I assume that AdDate is a date field

then you have to set the new index to the primary index:
                          ix=AdTable.index_create_end()
                          Adtable.index_primary_put(ix)

then you can walk through your while..end while loop.
                          then as for the logic of your script, it isn't clear to me what you hope to accomplish. i don't think your script can find duplicates, if that's what you want it to do.

incidentally, if you only need a one-time index, you're better off using a query:
                          AdTable= table.open(tblchoice)
                          query.filter=""
                          query.order="substr(AdInfo,1,100)+cdate(AdDate))"
                          query.options=""
                          qry=AdTable.query_create()
                          AdTable.fetch_first()
                          while .not. AdTable.fetch_eof()
                          ' do something
                          AdTable.fetch_next()
                          end while

Comment

AdDate is a date field...I think I read in the Xbasic Reference that it would handle that?? I'll try converting with CTOD.

I finally got the test database posted a few minutes ago...

Thanks for the hints...

Comment

Peter,
                              I know I'm talking to the "guru" who's approaching a googal hours with this stuff...(I am approaching 100.)...

...but I thought that when an index is named the same as the table it would be the production index and by default be the primary?

I understand the potential problem without the date converted to character format and will change that.

Why can't the script find duplicates in the memo field? I started with AdTable.delete() in place of AdTable.mark() but then wondered how the index would keep up with deleted records so made a second pass loop to delete marked records after closing the index.

I have posted a single table, single script, database to this site.

I really appreciate your time and help.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X