Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

<table>mark, fetch, change confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: &lt;table&gt;mark, fetch, change confusion

Don,

Here's the approach I'd take...

Code:
    tblchoice = ui_get_radio("Select Table to Index in Ad order",1,"chrontemp","chronads","chrontest")
    IF tblchoice = ""  'If user presses Cancel...
    	END   ' end the script.
    END IF
    AdTable = table.open(tblchoice, File_RW_Exclusive)
    AdTable.index_create_begin("Tmp_idx","Substr(AdInfo,1,100)+cdate(AdDate)")
    Adx = AdTable.index_create_end()

xbasic_wait_for_idle()

AdTable.index_primary_put(Adx)
    AdTable.Fetch_First()
    vAdInfo = Substr(AdTable.AdInfo,1,100)  'set initial var before loop
    AdTable.fetch_next() 'move to first comparison
    while .not. AdTable.fetch_eof()
    	if vAdInfo = Substr(AdTable.Adinfo,1,100) then
    		AdTable.fetch_prev()
    		AdTable.change_begin()
    		AdTable.mark()
    		AdTable.change_end(.t.)
    		xbasic_wait_for_idle()
    		AdTable.fetch_next()
    	end if  
    	vAdInfo = Substr(AdTable.AdInfo,1,100)
    	AdTable.fetch_next()
    end while
    AdTable.close()
    END

Comment

Don,
      This script should do what you want -- delete duplicate records, deleting the oldest ones:

Code:
      tblchoice = ui_get_radio("Select Table to Index in Ad order",1,"chrontemp","chronads","chrontest")
      	END   ' end the script.
      END IF
      AdTable = table.open(tblchoice)
      query.filter=".t."
      ' notice the INVERT of the AdDate -- simplifies later processing
      query.order="Substr(AdInfo,1,100)+invert(AdDate)"
      query.options=""
      ix=AdTable.query_create()
      AdTable.Fetch_First()
      vAdInfo=""

if Substr(AdTable.AdInfo,1,100) == vAdInfo		'duplicate Ad
      		AdTable.change_begin()
      		AdTable.delete()		
      		AdTable.change_end()
      	else
      		AdTable.fetch_next()
      	end if
      end while
      AdTable.close()
      END
      What you may see here is that the delete() method does an automatic fetch_next() -- the table pointer has to go somewhere and it can't stay on the deleted record, so it bounces up to the next record in order.
      By indexing in inverse order by date you can dispense with all the back-and-forth shuffling you were doing with fetch_prev() and fetch_next(). It also simplifies matters by incorporating the deletion into the first loop.

Comment

Dr. Wayne,

Don't you mean:

Code:
        		AdTable.change_begin()
        		AdTable.delete()		
        		AdTable.change_end()
        	else
        		'AdTable.fetch_next()
        	end if
                AdTable.fetch_next()  
        end while
        --
        -- tom

Comment

No, Tom, I meant what I said and I said what I meant:

The fetch_next() occurs automatically if a deletion takes place. If you do another fetch_next() after the deletion the script will skip over records.

Try it and see. I can always be wrong.

- Peter

Comment

Hah!

I was so intently concentrating on the logic of the loop I overlooked that you're deleting records, while I'm just marking them. Sorry to have intruded!

-- tom

Comment

Don,
              Peter's script looks like it will keep the latest ad date and delete all others, but it sounded like you wanted to keep the earliest ad date and the latest ad date.
              If that's the case it's a little more complicated than Peter's script - there could be 3 situations:
              1) exactly two ads - two dates delete none
              2) one ad - one date delete none
              3) more than two ads - save earliest and latest - delete all others
              If that's what you want to do, Peter's script will get you in the right direction but it will need more work.
              John

Comment

I still get the same type of trace discrepancy on my machine with your code. Does your machine show the same trace difference between disabling and enabling the mark command as I've listed here?

I added the following TRACE line just ahead of "end while":
                trace.writeln(" Next "+str(AdTable.recno()))

With AdTable.mark() commented out:
                Next 3
                Next 5
                Next 2
                Next 4
                Next 4

With AdTable.mark() enabled:
                Next 3
                Next 3
                Next 5
                Next 2
                Next 4
                Next 3
                Next 5
                Next 2
                Next 4
                Next 4

For each run I checked that the table had six unmarked records and I packed it to ensure there are no deleted records in the table. The shorter trace above makes sense to me as the index would put record numbers in 1,6,3,5,2,4 order. I cannot conceive of how the second trace sequence is produced. The jump from 4 to 3 midway is curious...then it follows the correct sequence for the next four fetches.

How can marking a record affect the sequence like this???

Comment

I haven't tried your code yet, Peter, but I do have more data manipulation in mind. I want to pass the oldest AdDate to a field FirstDate and keep the newest AdDate in that field for all records with the same ad text. I will need some back and forth stepping through the data.

My original code and a simple database with a 6-record table (with some parts that I need commented out for testing) is attached to my Message ID 51779. I'm not asking for help with the code methods but rather what is wrong with the fetch sequence.

Why should the act of marking records affect the sequence that fetches follow? See my Message ID 51791.

I'm really curious as to whether I have a problem with my installation of Alpha5V5 and would like to know if the same trace results are obtained on another machine. (I only have a single full version license.)

Thanks,
                  Don

Comment

John,

Please see my response (Message ID 51794) to Peter.

Basically I am comfortable with working out the code to do what I need except when I find a descrepancy between what the code should do and what evidence shows that it does!

What I've experienced is not logical and is either a bug in my system or with the A5V5 program itself. I would first suspect my installation.

What I'd appreciate most is for someone to determine whether or not they can duplicate my trace results on my submitted database.

Thanks,
                    Don

Comment

Don,

Here's what I'm seeing with the code you'll find in the attached zip file:

Code:
                      Curr          1 Next          6
                      Curr          6 Next          3
                      Curr          3 Next          5
                      Curr          5 Next          2
                      Curr          2 Next          4
                      Curr          4 Next          4
                      this is what you are shooting for, I think.
                      I'm using Win98SE and Build 1498-1051.

Unzip the attachment to an empty folder.
                      Run the script. Do you get the same
                      results?

-- tom

Comment

Don,
                        I'm not sure that indexes are allowed on memo fields, or even portions of memo fields, and I think that may be the cause of your problem.
                        Here's what I did:
                        1) I changed the name of the AdInfo memo field to "AdInfoM".
                        2) I created a new field, AdInfo, C, 100, and ran an update in which I inserted left(AdInfoM,100) into the new field.
                        3) I modified the script to do the updates into the FirstDate field and phone fields:
                        Code:
                        	END   ' end the script.
                        END IF
                        query.filter=".t."
                        query.order="Substr(AdInfo,1,100)+invert(cdate(AdDate))"
                        query.options=""
                        AdTable.Fetch_First()
                        vAdInfo=""
                        'debug(1)
                        		vFirstDate=AdTable.AdDate
                        		vStatus = AdTable.Status 
                        		vPhone1 = AdTable.Phone1 
                        		vPhone2 = AdTable.Phone2 
                        		AdTable.change_begin()
                        		AdTable.delete()		
                        		AdTable.change_end() 
                        		' now the record pointer is autoadvanced, after the deletion
                        		AdTable.fetch_prev() ' go back to original, skipping over deleted record
                        		AdTable.change_begin()
                        			AdTable.FirstDate=vFirstDate
                        			AdTable.Phone1 = vPhone1 'keep older phones in case they were... 
                        			AdTable.Phone2 = vPhone2 ' changed from AdInfo in older data 
                        		AdTable.change_end(.t.)
                        	end if 
                        	AdTable.fetch_next()
                        end while
                        AdTable.close()
                        END

Try this script and see if it does what you want on your full dataset.

Comment

Also, once you have created the new field and filled it with an update, you can use the default field values rules under "Data Entry" to make sure that the field is always filled in when a new entry is made. See the attached picture. Note that this will only fill in the field properly when a new entry is made. If you want to make sure that it is kept up to date whenever a change is made to the AdInfoM field, you could need to add a short script to the OnSaveRecord event of the table, e.g.
                          t=table.get("chrontest")
                          if t.AdInfoleft(t.AdInfoM,100) then
                          t.change_begin()
                          t.AdInfo=left(t.AdInfoM,100)
                          t.change_end()
                          end if

which should do it.

Comment

peter,
                            Why not make the new field a calculated field that is the first 100 bytes of the ememo field
                            John

Comment

John is right. I wasn't sure whether a query would work on a calculated field, but apparently it does.
                              The script I posted earlier also fails if the duplicate record is at the end_of_file -- then the autoadvance can't take place. Here is a revised version of the script:
                              Code:
                              	END   ' end the script.
                              END IF
                              query.filter=".t."
                              query.order="AdInfo+invert(cdate(AdDate))"
                              query.options=""
                              AdTable.Fetch_First()
                              vAdInfo=""

dim eof_flag as l

'debug(1)
                              		vFirstDate=AdTable.AdDate
                              		vStatus = AdTable.Status 
                              		vPhone1 = AdTable.Phone1 
                              		vPhone2 = AdTable.Phone2
                              		eof_flag=AdTable.eof() 
                              		AdTable.change_begin()
                              		AdTable.delete()		
                              		AdTable.change_end() 

' now the record pointer is autoadvanced, after the deletion
                              		if eof_flag=.f. then ' exception to autoadvance if we were at eof
                              			AdTable.fetch_prev() ' go back to original, skipping over deleted record
                              		else
                              			AdTable.fetch_last() ' make sure you're at the last record
                              		end if
                              		AdTable.change_begin()
                              			AdTable.FirstDate=vFirstDate
                              			AdTable.Phone1 = vPhone1 'keep older phones in case they were... 
                              			AdTable.Phone2 = vPhone2 ' changed from AdInfo in older data 
                              		AdTable.change_end(.t.)
                              	end if 
                              	AdTable.fetch_next()
                              end while
                              AdTable.close()
                              END

Comment

If you follow Peter's steps, Don's original code will fetch exactly as dsired ( even with the syntax errors using the index_create). It's obviously indexing on the memo field that is the problem and not Alpha's record fetching.
                                It's been my understanding that you can do some full text indexing on memo fields for queries, but this type of index isn't helpful when fetching - something like:
                                KEYWORDSI(ADINFO_M,VAR->EXCLUDED_WORDS)

Comment

Working...
                                X