Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Some Direction Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Direction Please

I have a transaction table that must look up and 'grab' data from two different tables... these tables are very different and (at this time) I don't think they can be combined. In fact, one is a subset of the customer table... the other is just individual items..

Can I make 2 dummy fields on the tx form and use a drop down box for lookup into each of the tables?

Or would it be better to run a scipt 'onarrive' from each of the dummy fields?

thanx in advance
    D

RE: Some Direction Please

If the search key is known during data entry you can create form level calculated display fields that will retrieve the desired values using lookup() or one of the related lookupX() functions -- tom

Comment

Ok, will look at it...
      How about the fact that the 'line item' entries are into a separate table, linked (set) to the tx table....

Couldn't I just make 'new' records in the line item table and lookup from 2 tables -- OR is that what you are reccomending????
      D

Comment

Went thru all the PDF books on my disk and found no reference to lookupX() in any...
        Did find Xlookup() in one... forgot which but I can find it if I need to....

Appears that the Xlookup() might be what you were referring to..

Still looking and workin' on it..
        D

Comment

LookupC()
          LookupN()
          LookupD()
          LookupL()

See the pattern?

I took a shortcut and used the 'X' to represent any of the foregoing. Sorry it threw you for a curve...

-- tom

Comment

Ok all that I found....
            Still looking in to it...
            Definitely have a need for something that:
            is reliable
            I can code or action script
            will fill my need to look up or into external tables
            xfer data from one table to another..

There may be other ways, but I have not yet come across them..... I'm setting here with one computer doing the coding and 2 laptops dispaying PDF files of the books.....

I'll get it eventually, just have a 2-3 week deadline to get the system up and running...

D

Comment

Hello Richard,

>>I have a transaction table that must look up and 'grab' data from two different tables>Couldn't I just make 'new' records in the line item table and lookup from 2 tables

Comment

OK --- guess I did it again....
                Sorry to be so vague.. I get in a hurry and don't explain fully SO let me..

What's involved in this little matter are two tables and a bunch of lookup lists. The lookup lists are easy, just drop down boxes... The lookup lists are related ONLY to the line item table..
                Set is as follows: Transactions one to one to customers.
                Transactions one to many to line items. Line items are one to one to both customer items and purchase items.

In order to complete a transaction form.... aside from the normal data about dates, customers, the line item table has to be filled from one or both of the customer and purchase items.

Remember that the key factor is NO TYPING...
                There are usually only 1 to 5 customer items/customer/transaction...
                and there are (usually) only 0 to 5 purchase items/transaction.

So what I would like to have happen is: as focus is given to the line item section of the transaction form, first the customer items for that customer pop-up and one or all can be selected for the transaction.... there will always be at least one selection HERE..
                Then the purchase items pop up and either none are selected or up to 3 or 4 items could be selected..

Each line item has an ID code in it's own table and that code is used for linking purposes.... As of now both the item tables have the same ID code Structure... AAAA100001 as the start...

That takes care of the ID code and the name of the line item .... Qty is a pop up box from 0 to 5. All the prices for each individual customer item are pop up conditional on the type of transaction. If this then 25 if that then 20 etc... and the purchase items are similar but the prices are fixed for each purchase item...

Calculations are made from the data in the line item table on the form, transferred to the proper fields on the transaction form.. and then totalled. At pick up time, payment data is entered. Transaction done..

There is one other consideration.... pick up may be 2-3 or more days later.... hence two dates on the transaction form. Not all of this is 'coded' just yet and should you desire a look... I have a few zip files ready.

I know what I mean, hopefully now you do too.

You guys have been great in giving me alot of help and I sometimes feel like I'm taking up too much of your time.

Believe me it's appreciated. I don't expect to have you write code for me, but sometimes I just need to clear out the 'cobol' programming techniques and start thinking A5..

D

Comment

There are linking keys between the tables..

D

Comment

How's this..
                    Button on form.
                    actually 2 buttons - 1 for each sub-table of items
                    step one - button calls up a pick list on a form with everything 'read only' except the check boxes on the pick list.... As they say .. pick all that apply..
                    code then takes each checked item, xfers data from table to line item on the transaction form ... In my case the qty would be 1 for each of the customer items picked and the qty for the purchase items could be a drop down box list 1-5 or so...
                    Once data is xferred to line item table, data is saved.
                    I figure about 3 to 7 clicks per transaction....
                    quick and neat.. the rest of the transaction data (except payment data) is all calculations.

D

Comment

Hello Richard,

>>How's this..

Comment

Working...
                      X