Alpha Video Training

Thread: Image file reference field problem on reports.

Real Name
    Phil DeGruy

Default Image file reference field problem on reports.

Why does Alpha5 v5 render photos different between a form and a report even though the image file reference field settings are the same? This presents a big quality problem of cross hatching with some photos (ones that the origional is wider than tall), both in display (print preview) and print out of the report.

I want to know how I can solve this problem or work around it if someone has already solved this.

I have posted 4 messages total and attached one screen capture file illistrating the problems to each for viewing purposes.

Explanation:

The origional photo named OrigionalOFA2888.jpg is 1.62" w x 1.24"h x 150 pixels per inch (resolution). This translates into 243 pixels x 186 pixels x 150 pixels per inch (resolution). and is attached to this message.

I have a form with an image file reference field on it. The field size is 2.5" x 2.5". In the setup for the field on the form the Display Mode is: Absolute. The screen capture photo named AbsoluteImageForm is of the above sized photo displayed in the image file reference field on the form and looks normal.

The report has an image file reference field on it. The field size is 2.5" x 2.5". I have two screen captures, one of the photo with the field Display mode set as Absolute, and the other set as Stretch for the display mode.

The image named AbsoluteImageReport is captured from the report with the image file reference field set to absolute. You can see it is way smaller than either it's origional size or the absolute size displayed on the form.

The image named BestFitImageReport is captured from the same report, with the image file reference field Display mode set to Best Fit. As the capture shows there are black lines cross hatching the photo. This is not acceptable in on screen display and photos with crosshatching also print out with the black lines (cross hatch) showing.

Making the origional image larger or smaller does not improve the display in a report. In fact it makes it worse with more cross hatching.

Please see the other 3 posts for the additional files. If it is better that I post all the files in a zip file I can do that.

Thanks,

Phil DeGruy

Real Name
    Phil DeGruy

Default RE: Image file reference field problem on reports.

This post contains the origional file as it is displayed in the image file reference field of the form.

The field size is 2.5" x 2.5". In the setup for the field on the form the Display Mode is: Absolute. The screen capture photo is named AbsoluteImageForm is of the origional sized photo displayed in the image file reference field on the form and looks normal.

Phil DeGruy

Real Name
    Phil DeGruy

The image named AbsoluteImageReport attached is captured from the report with the image file reference field set to absolute. You can see it is way smaller than either it's origional size or the absolute size displayed on the form.

Why is this??

Phil DeGruy

Real Name
    Phil DeGruy

The image named BestFitImageReport is captured from the same report, with the image file reference field Display mode set to Best Fit. As the capture shows there are black lines cross hatching the photo. This is not acceptable in on screen display and photos with crosshatching also print out with the black lines (cross hatch) showing.

I think the photo is cross hatched because the report for some reason sees the origional photo as something smaller than a postage stamp and is stretching it to fit.

BTW, stretch causes the image aspect ratio to go wacky, when I tried that setting.

Phil DeGruy

Real Name
    Phil DeGruy

Forgot:

Making the origional image larger up to 2.5" wide x aspect less than 2.5" (don't remember what the number was now) or smaller (less than 1.2" wide and keeping the aspect ratio)does not improve the display in a report. In fact it makes it worse with more cross hatching or does not show all the photo when looking at the image on the form.

Thanks,

Phil DeGruy
    chowchow@ticon.net

Former Alpha Employee Edward Larrabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Edward Larrabee

The absolute mode prints one image pixel for each display/print pixel. Since printers are much higher resolution than monitors, the image is smaller.

Alpha Five uses the native Windows image scaling algorithms for stretch and best fit. Unfortunately, these are rather poor quality algorithms. We are looking into finding a better solution.

If you want to solve the problem with some programming, you could produce a scaled image for the report using a third party product, such as offered by XnView.

Real Name
    Phil DeGruy

Thanks for the explanation as to the different sizes So once again windows strikes it's ugly head.

It would be very nice if Alpha did handle photos much better. I have noticed many posts wanting to store photos of inventory objects, photos of people, etc.

I discussed this with the person who is doing the photo scanning and we are going to see if we can come up with something that will work without having to do to much rework.

I will take a look at XnView's software offerings, but I'm not sure if I can handle the programing required to make things work.

Thanks,

Phil DeGruy