Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Next Patch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Next Patch?

I know they have been focusing on v6 at the expense of the next v5 patch, and given that the current patch is fairly stable, I do not have a problem with that. However, it has been a while now, and it is time (dare I say a bit past time?) for some not so minor things to be fixed. Maybe even a few more brilliant enhancements!

Ray

Comment

But in those cases one should give attention to the right balance. You can not reserve 100% of the assets for new software developement and none for patches.

The need for another patch notwithstanding, in fairness to Alpha, they have delivered dozens & dozens of patches since release 5, and most of them have included enhacements, some of which have been fairly significant.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I've got my fire hat on now! (i.e. CHILL)

I did not say there would NOT be another patch, just that the developer have been focusing more on v6 (rather than enhancing v5 further.)

Selwyn has reviewed the issues here, and has appreciated the documentation of the problems.

If warranted and/or possible, we will post a patch soon.

Thank you all.

Happy Holidays!
        ;-) -Jeannette
        Alpha Software Customer Service

Comment

I simply made a statement of fact. If you read some sort of opinion or disapproval into my statement, I did not intend to lead you that way.

If you survey my posted replies on this board you will find that I rarely use more words than absolutely necessary.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Jeannette

I think you can appreciate some of the frustration of the users on this forum.

My understanding is that .mpx files are internal Alpha files, but a quick search shows 217 messages talking about them. Yours is, correct me if I'm wrong, the first response from Alpha about them.

Is there a proceedure you'd suggest for a bug report that might streamline this in the future???

Bo

Comment

Hi Jeanette

In my opinion, which many may disagree with, is that instead of developing a future product (which we all await eagerly), Alpha should make their current product more robust and as bug free as possible, not to mention complete documentation as specified. There are many bugs still in the current product, although the majority are only cosmetic, but the .mpx is a major problem for many of us.

We all know that to stay on top of the game improvements have to be made; but a word of warning to Alpha; don't keep developing future products for the sake of it. A lesson can be taken from the world's leading developers of software who always seem to take this route. This inevitably leads to higher revenues for the Software House, but more and more gripes from their user base when the software fails to work as designed. This can continue to loyal customers leaving what is an excellent product to an inferior product that does actually work for them.

In essence, I would rather have software that works as specified than to upgrade after upgrade.

Please don't take this as a major bitch about Alpha's products, I use it every day and have sold quite a few applications. My only real point is, that while there are workarounds for most of the glitches that still exist, many require many more hours of testing and scripting that should not be necessary. After all, Alpha Five is supposed to be the easiest database programming tool there is.

I did not intend to say as much as I have, but the fingers just kept typing. I apologise to everyone if I have caused offence - This is not intended.

Please Alpha, give us a new patch to rectify at least the known agreed bugs.

If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Chris:

I just thought things were getting a little heated, which is why I put on my "fire hat".

A5v5 has been out for an year-and-a-half. Great product. Rolled out with relatively few bugs, and when enhancements came to mind (in the literal sense), they were released in the patches.

I have found that our developers like to CREATE. Creating is fun. Anything goes. Fixing, well, that is a little tougher, and not so much fun. Well, to fix, is to admit something didn't run right.

In the CREATION, the sky is the limit.

Now getting this marvelous creation, out of the hands of the creator, that is a little tricker. Because, well, then it is a "finished" product...why not just keep creating, which is more fun (some insight to why we may have to wait for v6. ;-)

You may ask why I see things this way: I'm a problem-solver, so I like to fix things. This is a good trait for a customer service person. After being here at Alpha for almost 2 years now, I've come to recognize the different way I analyze issues, and how our developers do.

-Jeannette

Comment

Thanks Jeannette,
                    I think a lot of us are probably in the same boat as the Alpha developers (albeit at a drastically lower level). I know I like creating neat apps but it is a pain when they are installed and I have to go back into something that I thought worked fine and fix the inevitable problems. I certainly can forgive the developers this. But I also can see the other side when I get complaints that something doesn't work and I have to say "Oh, Thats a bug in Alpha, just wait a while and it will be fixed". I really would like to see V6, but I also have to put up with the user complaints.

FWIW, My 2 cents,

Russ

Comment

Maybe I'm w-a-y off the mark (not an unknown occurrence), but it sounds as if some folks have defined the issue as 'another patch to V5 or a bug-free V6' - boy, are they in for a surprise. Version 6 will have its own collection of 'bugs', 'mistakes', 'errors', 'glitches' and 'gotcha's'. There is no such thing as a 100% perfect product (even if we could define that term); there is not enought time nor money to create the perfect product, and if there was a perfect product, none of us could afford it.

How about if we recognize that the Alpha development team has, and will continue to produce, the best database development product any of us can conceive of; that there will be errors of omission and errors of commission, that those errors will be remidied when they are identified, that we (the user base) will continue to get updates, changes and enhancements that, were they produced by any other software company, would not be free and that we still won't be satisified.

Dave
                      Dave Jampole
                      www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

What Dave said.

And to repeat, there is no such thing (I don't think?) as bug-free software. Now it may be that MS Excel has less bugs than Alpha. But Microsoft has entire armies of programmers and billions & billion of dollars at their disposal. So A5 may not be bug free, but the current version is pretty damn good. It's not that bugs shouldn't be addressed, it's just that we need to maintain some perspective and balance on the whole thing.

Peter
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Not to just keep this thread going, but exactly which of the posts in this thread fails to "maintain some perspective and balance on the whole thing."? I think everyone (that I know of, except our clients who don't want to hear any excuses) has been understanding and patient with Alpha's development situation in recent months. It is just that if everyone is kept waiting forever, patience runs out at some point. Plus, one begins to wonder if we have hit the same situation as with the last patch for v4.5, i.e., there are still bugs but no more fixes. We can't possibly be at that point, can we? If so, I for one will be more than just a little disappointed.

Ray

Comment

but exactly which of the posts in this thread fails to "maintain some perspective and balance on the whole thing."?

Maybe nothing in particular, exactly. But some of the comments suggest that Alpha needs to fix all the bugs before they work on a new version, which, I think, is impossible and unrealistic. My point is that Alpha has provided more patches for this product than any previous by far. Now the cynic may say that's because there have been so many bugs. Well, at least they have worked valiantly to address most of those bugs. To repeat, I didn't say there shouldn't be any more patches or that bugs should be ignored. Nothing is worse that software that doesn't work as advertised (ok, a lot of things are worse than that - jeesh, I gotta learn to maintain my perspective and balance:). But a relatively small company like Alpha has to walk a fine line between fixes and new releases so they can stay healthy & profitable. They have limited resources and only so much they can do at one time. So, sure, fix the bugs, bring on the patches. But no matter what they do, someone will find yet another bug...

Peter
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Well said, Peter.

I think the key phrase in what you said and that all of us should keep in mind is 'perspective and balance'. I'm sure we will be going through all this again when Ver 6 ships.

IMHO, we still have the best database development platform, bar none, regardless of the relatively minor problems. Can someone refresh my memory and tell us when was the last time Bill Gates responded to a user's question with a FREE enhancement/upgbrade/bugfix (at no cost)?

Dave
                              Dave Jampole
                              www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Well, here's another opinion:

Why not bring on the next version? Alpha has done a great job of giving software that does a heckuva good job with loads of features. They are super responsive to requests for new features and so called bugs. So why can't they roll out the next major upgrade. It will give us a whole new slate of great features, will bring them well earned money, and will therefore make it more likely that they will be around to contiue to bring us great new features and contined support. Besides, a new version doesn't mean that old bugs will not be addressed. Many problems from 4.5 were fixed in 5.0, weren't they? Why would they even want to continue to provide such great software, with such great support, if they are not well paid for it. Bring on version 6.0 ...

Gary
                                Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X