Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

mpx files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mpx files

Please help. I am having mpx files being stored on my windows 2000 desktop instead of some temp folder. I have the delete mpx box check under program options. I can't seem to find where I can change the location of these files.

RE: mpx files

Do a search on MPX. There has been a lot of duscussion on this issue. It is supposed to be fixed on the next patch release.

Russ

Comment

Fixed my problem with the suggestion in message 50583 on this forum.

Thanks

Comment

Bill,

We can't search for a message number, so a more helpful approach often is to just furnish the url for the page that has the material you are referencing.

-- tom

Comment

Like this:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=11&id=50585&thread=50580#MSG50583

-- tom

Comment

I'll just paste the solution below from Jay Talbott:

My suggestion is to put a path to Alpha's default folder in the "Start In" box in the shortcut on the desktop.
            That is why the $$*.mpx files are on the desktop.

If you make sure the Start In box is the default folder, the $$*.mpx files will be deleted automatically.

Regards,

Jay Talbott

Comment

I think Alpha Users should run a search on their computer and they might be surprised by how many .MPX files are stored throughout their system.

I just ran a search that found well over 50 MPX files stored in a variety of folders, including the following one:

C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\System\Mapi\1033\NY

And this is after I deleted a ton of MPX files one day last week.

Robert

Comment

I just found 180 on the C:\ drive of my development machine that I did not know about. Then 290 on my F:\ drive where a lot of apps are. Scattered here and there on each drive, not just in one place. But none on my E:\ drive, which also has apps!! I thought they were all supposed to go in my Windows temp folder?

This just has to be fixed!

Ray

Comment

Hello Ray:

I also had approximately 200 mpx files spread throughout my machine in places that totally surprised me. I deleted those last week and yesterday I found more than 50 new mpx files.

Robert T.

Comment

Hi guys,

I just almost choked in my coffee reading your messages and directly did a search myself.

There were more then 300 mpx-files on my development machine, a lot of them (+/- 200) in the garbage-bin though.

Nice if you have a code that puts them there, but then you must not forget to remove them like I did.

This must be addressed. No doubt.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

FYI, my numbers (470) given above did not in those in the recycle bin. If I had included those the number would have been 1049. The real big issue for me is that I have one client who is "mad as hell" over this issue. I have tried several prescribed ways of dealing with the issue, but nothing seems to work so that when an database shuts down they are all deleted, as the settings says. Yes, I know about crashes and other abnornmal shutdowns, which I have tried to deal with. But it seems to me that the program/database could keep track of where it has put them, delete them at proper shut down and either check for them again at the next start up and delete them if found or include the old ones in the delete at the next proper shut down. There must be something hard about this that I do not get.

Ray

Comment

Hi Ray,

I know what you mean, I have the same experience with some of my users.

But: I got rid of the mpx-files using the xbasic script from Cal Locklin who was kind enough to publish it on this forum. Did you try that as well ?
                        Only point is, that mpx-files are now making place for the D_Gloss.dbf file, but that's only 1 and stays only 1 so I (and my clients) can live with it although it is not professional.

The script works. Do a search on it on the forum and try it if you didn't yet.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Working...
                        X