Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Access user trying to change my thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access user trying to change my thinking

I'm a long time Access user and I'm trying to learn A5. Right now I'm attempting to learn how to replicate some of the work I do in Access.

In Access I'm used to:
    table -> query -> report
    with the queries ranging from very simple to complex

So far in A5 I have learned to make sets that correspond to the relationships that I might set up in a query and then use filtering to return only the records I'm interested in. I still need to do more work with filtering, but it seems to be very powerful. The next step is seting up a report that is based off the set.

So, is this the best way to work or is there some other method that I haven't figured out yet? I'm need to do more reading of the documentation, but I'm still not clear when to use filter and when to use query in A5.

Also, I used to write a fair number of VBA functions placed in an Access module. I would use these functions in my queries to change formatting, complex calculations, etc. What is the best way to get started with Xbasic?

TIA
    Ben

RE: Access user trying to change my thinking

Welcome Ben,

I can't speak for the 'best' way but I can tell you how I've began. I'm sure you know all this.

1. Build your tables. Build you indexes.

Realise that whatever you define in field rules primarily affects data as it is entered, they also affect every form you build so getting them right saves time after.

Table indexes are the first programming decision you can make after data typing. They not only order data but they can shape it by filtering data sets.

2. Forms are the user experience. And a control panel for selecting programming tasks.

Programming occurs in 5 areas.

1. Calculated fields in the forms create variables that can be scoped for more general use.

2. Operations manipulate tables and sets.

3. Action Scripting is a tremendous auto-coding for many simple, or frequent tasks. Its a point where Alpha's experience really shines. What they have done before so often they make really easy for users\developers to do again.

4. Xbasic

This is the real meat for developing. I've heard rumors of some people doing their entire Application in Xbasic and Xdialogue. Currently I'm an abject neophite in these matters so I invite anyone else to describe this.

5. Report layout creates the basis for graphics files sent to your printer.

Most everyone here is more experienced than I am so they can chime in if I've left anything out :).

My recommendation is to fire up

"Introduction to Action Scripting"
    "Learning Xbasic"

Then print, or buy, the Xbasic Reference (Its huge). I found that some of the best explanations of things are in the reference. Although the downloads are not always the most up to date I found the printed version very helpful. It is helping me interalise an organization to hang new learning on.

All the while, make regular use of the online Documentation because it is the most up to date.

I have heard really good things about Dr. Peter Wayne's books but I haven't read them. His website is very good http://www.learn alpha.com/. The news letter is also very good http://www.imakenews.com/alphasoftware/ .

Hope that helps.

Bo

Anyone with additions and\or more experience is most welcome to chime in.

Comment

I think Bo offered a good set of advice. Let me offer a much less extensive response that deals with your immediate need:

After you've built your report, use the Action Scripting genie to build a button that produces the report. As you build that action script, you'll have a chance to specify the order, filter, etc.

- Steve
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Bo and Steve, thanks for your input.

What I'm doing now is evaluating the use of A5 to help me access existing dbase tables that are part of an old DOS Clipper application called Dayo. Currently we use an old copy of Alpha 4 to do table manipulation and Access for advanced reporting. I know that A5 can do everything that those two programs do, it just a big change in my thought process to get where I need to go.

I'm used to knocking together a query in Access and then fine tuneing it. Only at that point to I create the report.

It seems that the equivalent here might be to use a browse table for a set and then do a filter.

I would say at this point the only thing I don't like about this process is that I do like having my Access query contain the A5 set, filter, and browse table in one place. Although I suppose there is an argument to be made regarding reuse of those components if they are available individually.

Comment

Ben,

If you have a query that you need to run periodically you can save it as a query operation. Then just run it when needed.

-- tom

Comment

Take a look at the Alpha Five Help for complete on-line
            documentation.

Comment

Working...
            X