Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Personalizing A5 with XBasic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Personalizing A5 with XBasic

v6 is due out in the first quarter (Jan-Mar) of 2004.

Howard
    Howard G. Cornett, Independent Consultant

Comment

Ron
      You might want to try some resource editor software to edit the Icons. Such as Resource Tuner..
      You need to open the a5v5.exe and edit the ICONS there
      see the attached image..

Comment

That's doubtful, as they haven't gone to Beta yet.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I use ArtIcons Pro for changing icons within EXE and DLL files.

Jacques

Comment

I have no idea what you guys are talking about....
            no experience with these 'splash executables', but willing to learn....
            sounds interesting, especially if you can use jpg's for screen displays thru a5..
            I have your e-mail adr and I'll get back to you when I have learned a little more..

thanx
            Dick Coleman

Comment

Claudio,

Can you replace the Alpha ICONS with your own ICONS using RESOURSE TUNER (rather than editing them)? If so, I could "hard-wire" the Alpha Five runtime with my ICONS and I would assume that any application using the runtime would display my ICONS. Any experience with this?

By the way, a great suggestion!

Ron Wills
              Small Business Technology, Inc.

Comment

Yes Ron you can do that with RT, you can replace the alpha five Icons with your own. But I not sure if that would break any alpha 5 licence.

Comment

Also Icon Changer (part of Easy Icon Maker) can be used to
                  change .exe and dll icons and it is icredibly easy to use.
                  You can download a trial at http://www.icon-maker.com/
                  I think that the Icon Changer does not expire.

Comment

Claudio,

I downloaded the program Icon-Maker and loaded it up. I can extract Icons from an EXE file, however, I don't see how to write the new Icon back to the EXE file.

I tried to open an EXE file with Icon-Maker, but it will not allow you to directly open an EXE file. I have to use the FILE, EXTRACT FROM APPLICATION command. This extracts the ICON. When I then try to save with my changes, the program attempts to save it as an ICO file. What am I missing?

Ron Wills

Comment

Ron,

I am not Claudio, but this is what the doc to the program say.

To change an application's icon, please do according to the following steps.

Step 1. Click the "Icon Changer ..." menu item from the "File" pull-down menu. The above screenshot will be activated.

Step 2. Open the application file from the right text box. The application file may be EXE, OCX, DLL, SCR, or other executable file.

Step 3. Open the icon file from the left text box.

Step 4. Select the matchable icon from left and right.

Step 5. Click the "Replace ->" button to replace.

Step 6. Repeat step 4 and step 5 to replace all the icons.

Click the button "Save" to save the operations.
                      Click the button "Undo" to undo the last operation.
                      Click the button "Redo" to ubdo the last undo operation.
                      Click the button "Cancel" to cancel the operations.

Note: this "icon changer ..." tool is not very stable at present, please backup your application file before changing.

Note: this "icon changer ..." is very simple at present. We are planning to develop a powerful icon changer tool in the future versions.

Hope this answers your question.

Scott

Comment

For those of you that still need an application launcher and splash screen you cas use this freeware basic compiler it is very simple to use and genertate small exe (tinycompiler). I have attached a sample code to get you started. Just replace the picture path (and size parameters) and the path to you alphafive application

http://www.basicguru.com/rapidq/

Comment

Scott,

Thanks for the instructions. They couldn't have been more obvious once I reopened the program and saw the item "Icon Changer" under the File menu item.

I used A5V5.exe as a test. I couldn't get it to replace the true color icons. The 256 Color Icons changed without a problem.

I tried recreating icons in the program, saving the Icon and then opening ICON Changer. The buttons to replace, Undo, Redo and Save remain grayed out when attempting to replace true color icons. As mentioned above, it worked fine with 256 color icons. I will keep playing with it.

This is a nice little program, very simple and easy to use. I hope I can get it to work.

Ron Wills

Comment

If you modify the registry key:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Alpha5.Document\shell\open\command]
                            @="C:\\PROGRA~1\\A5V5\\Alpha5.exe %1"

You can change the icon without using command line options in the shortcut. Just add whatever command line options you want after the %1, and then when the application icon gets clicked, those options will automatically get invoked.

Make sure you escape all double quotes and backslashes.

Does this method work on all versions of Windows? It works on my XP machine.

Comment

Working...
                            X