Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Filename dialog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filename dialog

A5 has a nice function to implement a filename dialog in your app so the user can specify an external file.

I would like to implement this filename dialog in an import function but that seems not to be possible, because the import screen only accepts a pre-determined file as an import source and not the or a variable that is created by the filename dialog function.

Does anybody know how it can be done anyway ?

Regards,

Marcel

RE: Filename dialog

Marcel,

You'll have to convert the import operation to xbasic and then modify the code to prompt the user for the filename.

Comment

Hi Vince,

I was afraid of this.
      It does not match the spirit of Alpha that the goal can not be reached using wizards or genies or action scripting.

Okay. If it can not be done elseway..

Thanks Vince.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

One way to get you a little closer is to use an Action Script to get a filename... put the name in a variable eg 'FileNameVAR'.

Then follow this with a small Xbasic InLine script to change the filename to a standard name that you use as the name specified in the import op: eg 'ImportFile'.

'ImportFile' never changes. It is always the name of the script that you import.

Lookup the File.Rename() statement in the XBasic manual... File.Copy() & File.Remove() may also interest you.

After the Inline Xbasic script simply follow up with the Action Script to run your Import Opperation (using the 'standard' filename eg 'ImportFile'.

I'm not sure that this gets the job done the way you want... but it is (mostly) done with Action Scripting.

David Boomer

Comment

Hmm. That is smart thinking !
          Use the best of both worlds....
          Compliments !

Comment

"It does not match the spirit of Alpha"

Alpha never said you could do everything with Action Scripting. In fact, I have an app I've been working on for about 2 years - I bet you couldn't do 20% of it with action scripting. And, if you could you would probably go crazy trying to make any sense out of it.

Comment

Cal

I think what Marcel is refering to is the 'database without programming' that Alpha promotes.

In fact this line is out of the corporate slide show from the Alpha website

Action Sripting �This means custom applications w/o programming

But whether or not that means that all can be done without xbasic is too much to ask, but where is the line of what action scripting could or should do?

Have a great Turkey day!
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD
              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al,

I think Alpha has struck the right balance with pre-programmed action scripts. Sure there are some gaps and there will always be. Instead of criticizing these I think we should spend our time reporting them and explaining why additional or extended action scripting would be useful. A feature request, with explanation, is much more likely to result in improvement than broad criticisms based solely on personal opinion. Marcel's comment rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't even work for Alpha. -- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

And it wasn't even meant to rub you -or anywone else- anyway !

I think that there are phases before feature requests.
                  One of them is discussing it with colleagues.
                  That's why there is a forum.
                  I am sorry if you see that as broad criticism.
                  what is wrong with a personal opinion ?
                  Don't you have them ?
                  Tom, you really have to lighten up here.
                  It probably will be my lack of knowledge of English, but I feel a rather tense atmosphere in your answer.
                  That does not need to be among colleagues I think.

I do not see the spirit of this forum to be one where you just attack someone because he has an opinion that differs from the one you might have. Discuss it in a friendly way.

Alpha does promote its product this way:

"Action Script: Power Without Programming
                  Action Scripting is one of the most exciting new features of Version 5. Action Scripting allows non-programmers to build custom applications as if you were a programmer."

And it is an almost perfect product for me to work with.
                  I work with it full-time daily for 8-10 hours a day so after doing that for half a year I have something to say about that. It is probably this good that it more or less disappoints me to see some things cannot be done.

At this moment I do not have serious critics on the product. But that does not mean you can not discuss certain experiences. I am not hired as a promotion point by or for Alpha. (But I must say it has earned this attitude of me thinking it is a great product anyway by itself.)

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

I agree that this forum needs to have room for personal opinion. (And even room for opinions about opinions.) However, I hope you would agree that there are some limits that must be observed. In this case I think I over-reacted, and will go check my medicine! I did not mean to offend or attack you and regret that you perceive it that way. I apologize.

One of the VERY best characteristics of this forum is that we manage (for the most part) to discuss things without personal attacks or flames. Believe me, I do not want to ever see that change. We all need to make an effort to respect different points of view. We also need to cut each other some slack when foreign languages make communication even more difficult. Your English was (is) so good that I was uncertain whether it was your native tongue.

As for the marketing pitch to non-programmers I think most people recognize that a bit of hyperbole is to be expected. In this case it is no exaggeration to claim that custom applications can be built entirely with action scripting. This does not mean that EVERY possible application can be built using ONLY action scripting.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

You're not a bad guy and I am working on my English....
                      so future looks bright.

Your last remark is right.
                      First things first: personally I do not know of ANY product that comes so close to doing just that except for Alpha Five. The power it gives to non-programmer users is enormous.

That being said you also must see, that users/customers do not order or want to build an application that is made with Alpha Five. They order an or want to build an application that takes care of certain tasks or has certain functions.

The user or programmer who purchased Alpha Five because it "allows non-programmers to build custom applications as if you were a programmer" has to be able to meet the requirements that accomplish the tasks set without having to program. That what the marketing says, and that is what it should do.

In practice, things can become somewhat more difficult then that......
                      But, I do not have a problem with that as I have a huge respect for the product already being able to deliver what it does right now.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

I agree with Tom. We don't want to engage in flame wars. You are not guilty of that, neither is Tom. I think some people identify so closely with A5 they take offence at any criticism. Others seem like they are unwilling to acknowledge that A5 has certain bugs, shortcomings, etc. On the other hand, it seems to me at least, that there are relatively few harsh or nasty criticisms of A5 on this forum. Most of us on this board think A5 is a great product and that's why we use it. But it is far from perfect. It has bugs and limitations. Sure, many times what someone calls a "bug" is just a lack of understanding on how to do something (I have been guilty of that more on than a few occasions). Yet there are plenty of bugs to go around. In years past, sometimes (not all the time by any means) I used to be hard on Alpha. These days I tend to go light for two main reasons: 1)A5 has gotten sooooo much better and has far far fewer bugs than in previous versions; and 2)I know for a fact (based upon personal observation at the Development Conferences as one example) that the Alpha staff is completely 100% dedicated to producing the best product that they can (and they are a talented lot at that). That is the beauty of a small company as verses a large corporation. The big corp. by its nature primarily cares about the bottom line; the small company primarily cares about quality. A5 is such a great product because the owners and developers of Alpha are passionate about their product. Lucky us!

Therefore, my bottom line on all this is that I always applaud constructive criticism of any kind. It is good for people to report bugs, real or imagined, so those issues can be addressed one way or another. And if all we ever did was constantly praise and oohh and aahh Alpha, this board would become hopelessly lame and sound like a high school cheerleading squad. Actually, if you really want to see criticism, do a search on those �price wars� when A5 first came out. An awful lot of people went ballistic. But even though I didn�t agree with most of those complaints, I liked the fact that this board is not censored and people can say things that might make Alpha angry or embarrassed. That is in the nature of free speech, free expression, free enterprise and is the essence of the American Way. Ok, I�ll get off my soapbox for now.

Peter
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

P.S. By the way Marcel, your English is impeccable!
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

As a new user, I love questions like this - a challenge!

I think David was right there with his suggestion. But rather than looking up the code, continue the idea of scripting by using the "script recorder". Go to the table tab, invoke the script recorder, manually change the name and -voila- there is the code for the inline xbasic command in Action Scripting. Copy and paste!

Alpha wins again - all was done in "scripting" for you.

Doug

Comment

Marcel,

>>The user or programmer who purchased Alpha Five because it "allows non-programmers to build custom applications as if you were a programmer" has to be able to meet the requirements that accomplish the tasks set without having to program. That what the marketing says, and that is what it should do.

To the extent you state this in absolute, unqualified, terms I do not agree. A measure of reasonableness is required of vendor and purchaser, or so it seems to me. I think you're misconstruing the marketing to arrive at an opinion that goes beyond reasonableness if you mean, literally, what you are saying. Using your reasoning the French telephone company would be justified in purchasing a copy of Alpha Five, firing all their professional programmers, and building their back-office accounting and customer tracking databases entirely with Action Scripting and the services of non-programmers.

To me the marketing pitch means simply that non-programmers can build useful custom applications entirely with Action Scripting. Applications that they cannot otherwise build at all using other similarly priced database programs. It does not mean that every customer should be able to build every conceivable application using only Action Scripting. In my opinion such a view is unreasonable and unrealistic.

Moreover, Action Scripting itself is a form of programming even though it's largely menu driven. The plain hard truth is that the user must bring a certain level of experience to the table if they hope to build something useful. I think most customer know this before they ever consider Alpha Five. Still, Alpha Five does a wonderful job of moving the user further and faster up the learning curve, far better than other packages. For those who are disappointed the trial version and then the money back guarantee seem immenently reasonable to me.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                              X