New call-to-action

Thread: Single user to network

omar ramirez

Default Single user to network

I need your help. I have developed several information systems and now I need that the users of these information systems can share their data. I going to acquire a 10 users runtime pack.

My question is if I do not have to modify the systems already finalized so that it can share the data.

Thank

Omar.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Single user to network

Omar,

I'm not certain I fully understand your question. Perhaps some general information will help.

The runtime engine will drive your application (database) just like the development version. For example, if you leave the control panel open so that you can get to it quickly when a form closes, this will also happen when the runtime user closes the form. Most of us do not want our end users to ever see the control panel, so we arrange to hide it. (After first being careful to construct a trap door we can use to show it again... often password protected).

Since we build our apps to deny the control panel to our end users, we must build utilities or functions that this denies them also. Many of us use custom menus to give the end user the option to reindex or pack their tables. Backup and restore functionality is also often deployed, without using the control panel.

In general the runtime will behave exactly like the development version while your app is running. If this is not what you want then you have to program around it.

Let us know if you have more specific questions, and give us all the details we would need to understand you.

-- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

No, in general you do not need "modify the systems already finalized so that it can share the data."

However, if your systems were not designed for use by more than one user at a time, you could run into problems.

Ray

omar ramirez

I appreciate very much your answers.

Raymond, you are right, my systems were not designed for use by more than one user at a time, how can I do that.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

>>my systems were not designed for use by more than one user at a time, how can I do that.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Hello Omar,

>>my systems were not designed for use by more than one user at a time, how can I do that.

omar ramirez

Hi Jim, Hi Ray.

Thanks by your answers. I going to follow your advice.

Omar.

Volunteer Moderator drgarytraub's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Hi Jim

That is a very useful list of things to consider. Could you please elaborate a little more on how actually to do the following items, or tips on what to do to best achieve them:

10)control the app so open sessions are kept to a minimum,
    11)don't allow users to keep sessions open in enter mode while they 'go to lunch' etc.
    14)control the user tightly in the application so 'unexpected' things do not happen,
    15)do alot of error checking so you can control the environment when unexpected things happen

Gary

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Hello Gary,

>>10)control the app so open sessions are kept to a minimum, >11)don't allow users to keep sessions open in enter mode while they 'go to lunch' etc. >14)control the user tightly in the application so 'unexpected' things do not happen, >15)do a lot of error checking so you can control the environment when unexpected things happen

Volunteer Moderator drgarytraub's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I am essentially doing most of what you have said, but feel I need a bit more experience with what type of situations to error trap, and I have not really done much re exclusive access concepts with the exception that I do warn users before a procedure to have other users log off, but I would like it to be a bit more elegant. Thanks for your help, and you have a Happy Thanksgiving too!

Gary