Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Contact Manager app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact Manager app

Does anyone know of an A5 contact manager like app that we developers can use and modify in our own apps? Something like what Dan Blank made available several years ago (Dan, did you ever go farther with it in v5?). Jack Wheeler did some work too (in Learnalpha), but as I recall it did not work well in the downloaded version. Or has it been polished? And, no, I want more than just a calendar. I want to-do lists, appointments, calendars, preferably the whole nine contact manager yards

And please, I already wasted my money (@#$#%$&^) on the contact manager �template� that was offered when buying v5. It, as well as the rest of them I paid for, may be wonderful, but as I recall before I tossed them in the trash, they are not templates that a developer is free to use and modify in his own commercial apps (because of the accompanying restrictive license). To me that makes them useless. Normally I would have insisted on my money back, but I figured Alpha Software could use the extra money more than I needed it. Now just don�t tell me that someone else got all that money!

Ray Lyons

RE: Contact Manager app

Ray,

I guess I missed seeing it. What / where are the license terms for the A5V5 Contact Manager template?

-- tom

Comment

Since I don't think I still have that stuff, I may not be able to tell you. I would like to think I was only dreaming and that I am wrong about the license terms, but I don't think so. When I get time I'll look around and see if I still have the original files somewhere.

Ray

Comment

Raymond,

I just looked through the Contact Manager application, as it was originally shipped from Alpha, and I cannot find any copyright notice, or any notice of any kind. Is it possible that you might be thinking of the Alpha Five copyright notice instead?

Dave
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Anything is possible but I am almost certain there was a separate quite restrictive license applying to all the included apps (or "templates"). It may have been an included on a paper document. If there really are no restrictions to incorporating all or part of it in our own commercial apps, I'd be happy to learn that. But then too, I don't recall the contact manager app being very full featured, so even if I can still find it, it might not do for what I want.

That said, I am perfectly capable of building my own contact manager app. I just don't want to waste time reinventing something that someone has already done and would be willing to donate or sell for a reasonable cost.

Ray

Comment

Hello Ray,

>>And please, I already wasted my money (@#$#%$&^) on the contact manager �template� that was offered when buying v5. It, as well as the rest of them I paid for, may be wonderful, but as I recall before I tossed them in the trash, they are not templates that a developer is free to use and modify in his own commercial apps (because of the accompanying restrictive license).

Comment

Jim,

This can get confusing.

There are two Contact Managers available.

One is a template found in the Databases subfolder of the Templates subfolder of the A5V5 folder.

The other is a 'for sale' Add On, in which all the source seems to be entirely exposed.

I've assumed they are both freely available for cannibalization and re-use, but in the case of the 'for sale' application I've assumed I would not be free to distribute it to others.

Cannot find the license for the Add On among my materials.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Ray,

I took my "Organizer" and moved it over to A5v5 and got it working. I've added a few touches, however, I wouldn't call it a true A5v5 app.

I am in the process of updating it, trying to take advantage of dialog boxes and the A5v5 calendar features. I typically work on this during the Christmas Holidays. So by January I should have it available.

I am also working on making the call back feature show up in the To Do List if you choose that feature.

If there are any specific features you would like send them my way and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,

Dan
                Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Here is the text from the readme file on the Alpha5 Cd

Order Enter, Time and Billing, and Contact Manager are sold separately. They are template applications that you can use as starting points for your own applications.

In order to install these applications, you must have purchased an "unlock key" from Alpha Software.

Please visit Alpha Software at www.alphasoftware.com to find out more about these applications.

From the website for the contact manager:

Released in conjunction with Alpha's Five Version 5, this product allows you to customize your application needs quickly.

Benefits:
                  Powerful, yet simple to operate and customize.

Includes Action Scripting and Xbasic Code.

To me this means that if you purchase it for 49.00 then it is yours to use in your application any way you want.

Phil

Comment

Phil,

That's what I would say also, and it is why I bought the add-on product. However, I am nearly certain that once one opens up the product one finds the restrictive license language. My trouble is that I can't find the files any longer, much less the key to open them up. Tomorrow I will try looking in various trash cans I have for software that I do not have any use for but have not yet hit the unretrievable one.

Ray

Comment

I think you could argue that they wouldn't have called them 'templates' if you weren't expressly supposed to follow them with the new product you'd just bought.

I would find it restful and informative if there was an official word from Alphasoftware to the forum on this because I also find it unclear.

bo

Comment

Ray & Tom -

When you install any of the 3 "template" addins, you must agree to the following agreement. Perhaps John Magno, Selwyn or Richard can clarify.

- John O

*Copied from the agreement dialog*
                        "
                        LICENSE AGREEMENT

Important: The enclosed program is licensed by BetaSoft LLC (BETASOFT) to customers for their use only on the terms set forth below. Either physically or electronically, opening this package or use of the program indicates your acceptance of the terms of this AGREEMENT.

1. License: BETASOFT hereby agrees to grant you a non-exclusive license to use the enclosed BETASOFT program (the "Program") subject to the terms and restrictions set forth in this License AGREEMENT. If you do not agree with the terms of this AGREEMENT, do not install and/or use the software.

2. Copyright: The Program and its documentation are protected by US copyright law and international treaty provisions. You may not copy or otherwise reproduce any part of the Program or its documentation, except that you may load the Program into a computer as an essential step in executing the Program on a single computer or network server.

3. Restrictions on Use and Transfer: You may install and use one copy of the Software Product on a single primary computer, device, workstation, terminal, or other digital electronic or analog device ("Device") for the exclusive use of the person or company who is the user of the Software Product. A license for the Software Product may not be shared. Alternative License Grant for Storage/Network Use. As an alternative to the rights granted in the previous section, You may install a copy of the Software Product on one storage Device, such as a network server, and allow individuals within Your business or enterprise to access and use the Software Product from other Devices over a private network. You may not distribute copies of the Program or it's documentation to others. You may not use, copy, or transfer the Program, or any copy, modification or merged portion, in whole or in part, except as expressly provided for in the license.

4. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the Software Product (including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and "applets" incorporated into the Software Product), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the Software Product are owned by BETASOFT or its suppliers. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the content that is not contained in the Software Product, but may be accessed through use of the Software Product, is the property of the respective content owners and may be protected by applicable copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties. This AGREEMENT grants you no rights to use such content. If this Software Product contains documentation that is provided only in electronic form, you may print one copy of such electronic documentation. You may not copy the printed materials accompanying the Software Product

5. BACKUP COPY. After installation of one copy of the Software Product pursuant to this AGREEMENT, you may keep the original media on which the Software Product was provided by BETASOFT solely for backup or archival purposes. Except as expressly provided in this AGREEMENT, you may not otherwise make copies of the Software Product or the printed materials
                        accompanying the Software Product.

6 Exclusion of Warranty; Limitation of Liability; Limited Diskette Warranty:
                        (a) The program and its documentation are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. The entire risk as to the results and performance of the program is assumed by you. Should the Program or its documentation prove defective, you (and not BETASOFT or its dealers) assume the entire cost of all necessary servicing, repair, or correction.
                        (b) In no event shall BETASOFT nor its suppliers no anyone else who has been involved in the creation, production, or delivery of this Program and its documentation be liable for any direct, indirect, consequential, special or incidental damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages from the loss of profits, business interruptions, loss of business or confidential or other information, or business interruption, or personal injury, or loss or privacy, or failure to meet any duty including of good faith or reasonable care or negligence or any other pecuniary loss or other loss whatsoever) arising out of or in any way related to the use of or inability to use such products, or the provision of or the failure by BETASOFT or any of its suppliers to provide support services or otherwise under or in connection with any provision of this AGREEMENT, even in the event of the fault, tort (including negligence) strict liability, breach of contract or breach of warranty of BETASOFT or any supplier and even if BETASOFT or any supplier has been advised of the possibility of such damages or claim

7. Product Improvements: BETASOFT reserves the right to make corrections or improvements to the Program and its documentation and to the related CD at any time without notice and with no responsibility to provide these changes to purchasers of earlier versions of such products.

8. Term: This license is effective until terminated. You may terminate it by destroying the Program and its documentation and all copies thereof. This license will also terminate if you fail to comply with any term or AGREEMENT. You agree upon such termination to destroy all copies of the Program and its documentation.

9. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This AGREEMENT is the entire AGREEMENT between you and BETASOFT relating to the Software Product and the support services (if any) and they supersede all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals and representations with respect to the Software Product or any other subject matter covered by this AGREEMENT. To the extent the terms of any BETASOFT policies or programs for support services conflict with the terms of this AGREEMENT, the terms of this AGREEMENT shall control.

10. This AGREEMENT is governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, USA
                        "
                        John Oesterle
                        ToolBytes, LLC

Comment

Working...
                        X