Alpha Video Training

Thread: Here's One that's tough to do!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Richard Coleman

Default Here's One that's tough to do!

I want to print out a 'bidders sheet' for use as an ID for a club auction that is held in my area.
    The sheet consists only of the bidders ID number printed twice on a single 8.5x11.5 sheet.
    The numbers should be opposing -- ie when you fold the page in half, you get the same number in the same orientation if you hold the paper at the open end of the fold....
    I can do it in (heaven forbid) FileMaker Pro 5.......
    When each individual checks in for the auction, we print out a sheet as they are marked present or as we enter them as a new 'customer'....
    Tried reports and letters to no avail.... The biggest problem is that '72' is the largest size available and I have not figured out how to invert the field object....
    Even tried to left string, mid string, etc to make individual numbers and enlarge them .... no luck..

Not a really big problem to get around since we can always just use a Magic Marker and an 8x6 blank card...

Easier if we can print them tho.

Waddayathink???

Dick Coleman

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default RE: Here's One that's tough to do!

There's no way to invert a number or a field, that I know of anyway. You could print 2X - reverse the paper on the 2nd pass. A fanatic might create bitmap-digits and then use a combo of conditional objects and calc fields...

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Alpha has a function

Character Output_String = *REVERSE( Input_String as C )

Why would this function ever be more than a novelty? - If you have an upside down font and print in reverse.

"The biggest problem is that '72' is the largest size available" - not, '72' is the largest size selectable, enter any size you want in the box above where you make a selection.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

DIck

Here is another thread with some similar questions and thoughts.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=11&id=19598&thread=19260#MSG19260

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

It is possible to print plain text with any rotation angle but not fields.

The format is:

"Layout>:"Object_name>.Rotation = 180

WARNING: The results can be very strange and the text often ends up outside the original box.

Cal Locklin
    www.aimsdc.net

Bo Vandenberg

Could you do it as two sheets, then use a second program like fineprint to change the orientation of the second sheet? Alpha would only see two normal sheets then the printer control would rotate things.

Bo

Fineprint allows you to setup print job then save it for printing later. If your bidders ID don't change much you might not have to muck with it often.