Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Ensuring correct system time and date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ensuring correct system time and date

Hi,

This isn't an Alpha 5 question per se, but it does relate to the application I have developed in A5. I need to have some sort of controls in place to ensure that time/date stamps are correct. Has anyone done this sort of thing before? The way my application is currently set up, the time/date stamps come from the system time/date which can be reset by anyone familiar with Windows control settings. I found a shareware program on the Internet called Absolute Time Corrector, which queries NIST timeservers using Internet and then compares NIST time to the time set on host computer. Has anyone used it or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Best regards,
    Robin Sculthorpe

RE: Ensuring correct system time and date

I use a freeware program called about time. I run this on one of the servers and it gets the correct time in whatever protocol you want every few minutes (interval can be set by user). Then I run this on each client machine and set it to grab the time from the server at the interval specified. The program is great and has solved a number of timing issues.

It's availabel here
    http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/

Russ

Comment

Thanks, Russ. I will check it out.

Kind regards,
      Robin

Comment

Robin

The US National Institute of Standards has freeware available to synchronize clocks. It can be found on this link

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/its.htm

Jerry

Comment

Thanks

Also usefull information in the application I have.

Ed

Comment

Its good practice to have a central server get time info and then act as a time server for everyone else.

You might be able to add a Net Time update to the startup script that begins your Alpha App. Have everyone check into the same server, preferably local, when they begin your app.

Time sync problems are no fun as I'm sure you're dealing with.

Bo

Comment

Actually, it's not time sync problems that I'm dealing with. It's ensuring data integrity, which is another matter. My application is used for research data and DHHS/FDA has a guidance document regarding the use of computer systems in clinical research. As standards are evolving, it makes things more difficult and now, somehow, I have to ensure that when someone enters data that the time and date are correct. It seems a little extreme to me, because if we were using a paper system, then someone could write any date and time they chose.

Your suggestion of using a startup script is a good idea, but I still don't know how to prevent someone from changing the system data and time once the application is running. I wonder if there is a way I could generate some sort of log that would show if someone changed the system time and date. Maybe, I could create an alpha function to obtain the date and time and log them while the application is open. (I remember that someone had a program to capture error messages in a log while the application was open.) I will have to keep thinking about this for a while. Maybe, something will come to mind.

Thanks again,
              Robin

Comment

Robin

Preventing a user from changing the data and time may be easy or difficult depending on the tenacity and knowledge of the user and the operating system. Most (if not all) Windows versions allow hiding the clock on the taskbar with a setting in the taskbar configuration. For many users, this would be enough to stop them from changing the time.

If you get the time from the server, it would be difficult for a user to change the time, unless they had access to the server. The question is how to get the time from the server. If the situation is a standalone, a tenacious user will defeat almost any method since they could change the time before the program opens and there would be no way to trap that.

Jerry

Comment

See this link on how to prevent users from changing the time.

http://security-tips.com/disable-date-time-control-panel.htm

I think you can also limit users ability to change time using profiles in Win 98 and above, although I haven't tried it.

If used in conjunction with About Time (mentioned previously) you can keep the client machines synched with the time server and the time server synched with NIST or whatever time source you choose to use.

Russ

Comment

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will be checking them out.

Kind regards,
                    Robin Sculthorpe

Comment

I wonder if you could simply rename the file from Alpha when the app begins and restore it when the client leaves?

Bo

Comment

Robin,

There is also one other thing you can do. If each time a major action occurs, a time date stamp is saved, it should always be after the previous one. If not, someone's clock is off or been reset. You can trap this error and handle as you see fit. If I was writing the routine, I'd probably allow times within a couple of minutes of each other, but time should never be jumping back hours. Depending upon frequency of operations, it should also be jumping forward at a somewhat consistent rate, at least at certain times of the day.

Regards,

Ira
                        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Bo,

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe, I could also synchronize the computer clock to a NIST server in a startup scrip as well.

Robin

Comment

Ira,

I have an autoincremented field for each entry, so I could use that to assess if any time/date stamps are out of sequence according to the autoincrement.

Thanks,
                            Robin

Comment

Here is how I do it:

On the server I run a little custom exe program (created w. Visual DialogScript - about $95). It reads the server date & time every 30 seconds and writes that to a text file on the server. The text file only has one line in it - current date & time. When an Alpha user logs on, A5 reads the text file and logs it in. If the user changes their local system time it doesn't matter (you can track that too of course).

FYI: Visual DialogScript is easy to use and can be found at...

http://www.dialogscript.com/

-Peter
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X