Alpha Video Training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confued by Database Compact error message ...

Volunteer Moderator drgarytraub's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Default Confued by Database Compact error message ...

I run Database compact at least several times per day. Sometimes I get an error message of the sort:

Could not update:
    Tablename
    Would you like to continue?

I have looked at the data of this table and cannot find any obvious problem. I can append the data to a new table and the new table is fine (no problem when run Database compact). I can copy the data to a new table and the new table also has no problem. But, if I empty the errant table, it still gives the error message when Database Compact is run, leading me to think the problem may not be with the data, but with an index or dictionary. How can I determine the cause, and more importantly, how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance ...

Gary

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

Default RE: Confued by Database Compact error message ...

The table may be open (as in, in memory) even thought you don't think it is. Try restarting A5 before doing the compact and see if you get the same message.

Russ

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the input - unfortunately, I already tried that - even reboooting - and does not help. Any other ideas?

Gary

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

A while back I had problems compacting a database, tried everything. Jerry Brightbill suggested recreating the database. I copied over all the code added the tables and it solved the problems. It was actually easier than I had anticipated.

Russ

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Gary

There are really 2 main reasons you can't compact a table. Either the table is open somewhere or the table data dictionaries are badly corrupted. Sometimes running the compact from the menu distorts that, since it also packs and reindexes, but if you compact with dictionary.update() that only compacts the data dictionaries. Typically, a failed compact has nothing to do with any data problems. Bad data usually will show up with index issues, fetch problems, or packing errors.

Unfortunately, if the failed compact is from corruption, your options are limited. My first choice would be to duplicate the table with data, but no data dictionary info (forms, layouts, etc) Try compacting that. It should compact easily, since with an empty data dictionary, there is nothing to compact. Then one by one, copy forms and other layouts from the old table to the new one. Compact after each addition. When compact fails, you will know where the corruption exists. If you get everything copied and it still compacts, delete the original and duplicate the copy back to the original name will all elements.

I have seen corruption so bad, the only solution was to start over and completely rebuild. Not much fun and something you only want to do once. Regular compacting an saving series of backups will become normal behavior.

Jerry

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Russ and Jerry,

Problem solved, but here is how I did it:

Starting with Jerry's suggestion to duplicate the table, but instead of just copying the data (without layouts and field rules), I copied everything. Then ran Database Compact - the original table still caused an error, but the new table did not. So, I then moved the errant table and its associated files to a safe area on my hard drive. Then renamed the new table to the name of the old table. Ran Database COmpact and ... works fine! Tested the application, and all is well. Thanks guys!!

Gary

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Actually, I still have the same problem.

The problem table is called progressnotes. If I run Database Compact, I get the errors as I described above.

I then used Duplicate to create an exact copy of progressnotes (copying all components: records, indexes, dictionary, field rules) and called it progressnotes_new. I then removed progressnotes from the database. Then ran database compact and there is no error message, i.e., progressnotes_new caused no problem. So now, thinking I was just one step away from a solution, I renamed progressnotes_new to progressnotes. Then ran Database Compact, and again I get the error message ????

How can just the name of the table be causing this error. I am very confused. And I certainly would rather not rebuild this entire module because it has been developed over quite some time, and was working flawlessly. Any ideas?

Gary

Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Gary

I suspect there is something in the code that references the name with the problem. If the cause was some old corruption, it may be very difficult to find. The easy solution is the obvious, rename the table.

Another possibility that should be tried is to drop the table from the database, close A5 and reopen, compact, close and reopen and try to create a new table with the same name and see what happens. You will have to move the old table to another directory temporarily to not overwrite it. If a new table of the same name fails, I would just go back to the solution of renaming.

Jerry

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

Or, copy the problem table and its dictionaries to new directory.Then create a new database in that directory and add that table.Then compact.If it compacts OK then problem may reside in database ( adb ) itself.
    Then you could rebuild a new database and add all sets and tables.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Gary,

Try compacting the troblesome table only. If you need the script, I'll post it (again).

Peter

Real Name
    James Urbanski

Plase post it since I have the same problem
    Thanks
    Jim

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Here it is:
    (BTW: I sometimes compact shadow tables, then copy them to the server. Don't try this in your own home unless accompanied by a genuine Alphaholic.)
    [b]
    'Date Created: 21-Oct-2003 03:06:33 PM
    'Last Updated: 21-Oct-2003 03:06:33 PM
    'Created By : PG
    'Updated By : PG
    'Perform maintenance (compact) on the selected dictionary.
    '-----------------------------------------------
    IF a5.Get_Master_Path() "" ''then the shadow database is running
    vChoice = ui_get_radio("Select Master or Shadow for Dictionary Update",1,"Master","Shadow")
    SELECT
    CASE vChoice = "Master"
    vPath = vDBF_Path

CASE vChoice = "Shadow"
    vPath = a5.Get_Path()

CASE vChoice = ""
    End
    END SELECT
    ELSE
    vPath = vDBF_Path
    END IF

vFilename = ui_get_file("Dictionary to Update", "table(*.DDD)|set(*.SET)|application(*.ALB)",vPath+CHR(92),"X")

IF vFilename = "" THEN
    END
    END IF

''NEED TO GET FILE SIZE OF DDD/DDM BOTH or SET/SET or ALB/ALM
    Select
    Case FILE.FILENAME_PARSE(vFilename,"e") = ".ddd"
    vFileOtherExtension = ".ddm"

Case FILE.FILENAME_PARSE(vFilename,"e") = ".set"
    vFileOtherExtension = ".sem"

Case FILE.FILENAME_PARSE(vFilename,"e") = ".alb"
    vFileOtherExtension = ".alm"
    End Select

vPreFileSize1 = FILE.SIZE(vFilename)
    vPreFileSize2 = FILE.SIZE(FILE.FILENAME_PARSE(vFilename,"DPN") + vFileOtherExtension)
    dictionary.update(vFilename)
    vPostFileSize1 = FILE.SIZE(vFilename)
    vPostFileSize2 = FILE.SIZE(FILE.FILENAME_PARSE(vFilename,"DPN") + vFileOtherExtension)

vPreFileSize = vPreFileSize1 + vPreFileSize2
    vPostFileSize = vPostFileSize1 + vPostFileSize2

vDiff = (1 - (vPostFileSize/vPreFileSize))*100

Msg1 = vFilename + chr(13) + "Table Compacted" + chr(13) + \
    "Original FileSize = " + Ltrim(str(vPreFileSize)) + chr(13) + \
    "Comapcted FileSize = " + Ltrim(str(vPostFileSize)) + chr(13) + \
    "Diff. = " + str(vDiff,4,1) + "%"

ui_msg_box("Database Dictionary Update",Msg1,UI_INFORMATION_SYMBOL)

END

Real Name
    James Urbanski

Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow
    Regards
    Jim

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Thanks Peter ...

Gary

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Oops!

vDBF_Path is a global variable I use. The script won't work unless you put this as the first line:
    [b]
    vDBF_Path = iif(:A5.Get_Master_Path()=="",:A5.Get_Path(),:A5.Get_Master_Path())

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

This is getting ridiculous!

Now I have 3 tables that won't compact: progressnotes, patients, appointments.

I need to know:

what the heck is causing this

and how to fix this

Please help ....................

Gary

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Here's an update:

I created a new directory, copied all the files from the application directory to the new directory.

Then, created New database with the same name as my app. Then added all tables and sets to the database. This copied added all tables, sets, layouts (forms, reports, etc) but no scripts in the code tab. I guess I'd have to copy ALL 250 of them one by one, but before I did that, I ran Database Compact, and the same errors occur.

I guess this indicated that the adb was noty the culprit, but probably the individual data dictionaries for the errant tables. Am I correct?

What would be the next step?

Gary

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Okay, I seem to have resolved the problem. Here is what I did:

As a matter of course, I make backups of my entire application at the end of every day. So, I went as far back as I needed to, to find a version of the app that caused no Database Compact errors.

Once that was found, I copied my current data to that app. Ran Database Compact without any errors. Great!

Then, I copied this working app to a safe directory, And then, added table data dictinaries of one module after another, one at a time, testing the Database Compact, aftrer adding each one. In this manner, I was able to get the app pretty much back to where it was most recently, and now have no more Database Compact errors.

I am hoping that this problem is now over. It was not fun, to say the least. If it happens again, it will shake my confidence even further. I am left wondering what the heck caused that in the first place? Will it happen again? What will cause it? What can prevent it?

Hope this experience can help others, and perhaps more importantly, lead to some discussion as to how to avoid this in the first place.

Gary

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Gary,

Did you try to comapct the troublesome tables one at a time only (not the entire adb)?

Peter

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Well ... it happened again ... and now to 2 tables: patients and progressnotes. I will attempt to fix it again, in the way I described above. But does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Gary

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Peter,

I must be dense, but I have not been able to get that script to work.

Gary

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Can anyone tell me why this keeps happening?

Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

No, other than something continues to corrupt your data dictionaries or some process is leaving a table open. Perhaps you could post the database with minimal data and have someone else give it a try. Have you tried a different computer?

Jerry

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Jerry,

The application is huge.

I do not think any tables are open, as the problem still occurs after rebooting.

Also, the problem occurs on 3 different machines that I have tried.

I do think you are right that "something continues to corrupt your data dictionaries."

I do have a feeling it as something to do with running the application on a network, because I do not recall it ever happening when I run the application as standalone, or even during development. I run Database Compact often and do not get this problem until, I believe, the application is run on a network, and then at the end of the day, I copy the data files (dbf, cdx, fpt) from the server back to my laptop. Does that lead to any ideas? Perhaps it has something to do with locking issues?

Thanks for any other help with this.

Gary

Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Gary

If no design work is being performed, the data dictionaries shouldn't change. If the compact fails because a table is being left open, this might be harder to track.

There are many ways to try to isolate the problem. First, can you compact on the laptop, which I assume is off network? If / when it does, save all of the ddd, ddm, ddx, set, sem, sex, alm, alb, alx files to a backup. Save no data. Then when the compact fails after copying data, start restoring each file until the compact succeeds. That should isolate the problem file if the problem is in a data dictionary. Big IF.

If this has no effect, then the problem is a table being left open. The error should identify the table. Search for EVERY reference to this table anywhere in code. Verify that all dialog forms open and close correctly (if a process fails on a dialog form, the form may not close). Check every incidense where the table is opened and closed in code and verify that there is no way the table could be left open (bypassing a script line, ending a scripot before closing, etc) This might be quite a project.

Another possibility is locking issues from using referential integrity in a set. This will lock the child tables when the parent is placed in edit. While I don't think this could cause a problem, most developers suggest leaving integrity off.

There is a possibility that running on a network might have file locking issues, but I am not a network expert.

You say the database is huge. How huge is huge. You mighht be able to email it to someone else for testing if it is less than 5 meg, which is a typical limit for email. If it is larger, you can create multiple backup files to make each one smaller. This may be a viable alternative.

Jerry

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

If its a network locking issue, rebooting the server and the client machine should allow compacting. Is that the case??
    Jerry said:"If no design work is being performed, the data dictionaries shouldn't change."
    That is not exactly true. There is at least one end user function - word merge with templates - that write to the dictionaries. There may be others.
    There are a number of things you can do in xbasic that write to the app dictionaries - adding dropping tables - shadow creates. Adhoc browses write to table dictionaries as well as app dictionaries. In theory when optimized you are only writing to your shadowed tables but maybe.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

If its a network locking issue, rebooting the server and the client machine should allow compacting. Is that the case??
    Jerry said:"If no design work is being performed, the data dictionaries shouldn't change."
    That is not exactly true. There is at least one end user function - word merge with templates - that write to the dictionaries. There may be others.
    There are a number of things you can do in xbasic that write to the app dictionaries - adding dropping tables - shadow creates. Adhoc browses write to table dictionaries as well as app dictionaries. In theory when optimized you are only writing to your shadowed tables but maybe.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

If anyone resonds to this, you don't have to do it four times. Key was stuck - voila.