Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Chart program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart program

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small, not too costly program to which I could export some A5 data, take that data and more or less automatically (e.g., with a macro) create a few pre-designed charts ready for printing (maybe even print them without user interaction)?

No, I do not think Peter Wayne�s chart add-in will do. The charts need to be a bit more than complex than that even though they are still fairly simple, e.g., a bar chart with scales and labels that can be manipulated more than Peter�s add-in allows.

Yes, virtually any spreadsheet would probably work, but I can�t assume all users will have even the disturbingly ubiquitous Excel, plus there are too many versions out there that do not handle things the same way other versions do. The spreadsheet in the latest OpenOffice release might do, but that�s a pretty big suite for the little I want from it, though the price (free) is right (the new release, by the way, is quite impressive).

Any suggestions?

Ray

RE: Chart program

Ray,

I can't answer your question, but I'll throw this out there in case anyone is interested...

Take a look at "Bitmap and Graphic Functions" in the A5 "Xbasic and Xdialog Reference.chm" file. There is a whole host of functions that would allow the fanatic (ahem, I mean the Alpha Five enthusiast) to build their own graphing/charting program, function, aex, whatever. There's a lot there, for someone who is willing to do a lot of programming...

Peter
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I suspect that at some point in the future alpha will build this in. In the meantime you can do what Peter suggests or use an external program. Excel like you say has lots of versions. Crystal reports will do it and has a runtime but isn't cheap. You could use openoffice. The price is right but that's an awful lot to distribute just for the charting. Maybe you could use just the spreadsheet part of it.

Russ

Comment

Raymond,

Have a look at this: http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/samples/Charting.pdf

Keith Hubert
        London.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,

Thanks, but it appears that the barchart() function is an Active X control that one has to buy and integrate into A5 and nothing is said about where to buy and how to integrate. Nor whether one can easily create a nice looking printed chart.

Ray

Comment

Peter,

Thanks. After looking at it, I'm pretty sure I could create at least my 2 barcharts and have them print the way I want them to print. I'm not so sure about the one that needs to show several curved lines. In any case, this would be quite a project compared with exporting to a spreadsheet. Still, a home grown A5 solution would be much better for my purposes. One concern is that some of the code in the manual either does not work or crashes A5 when tested. That makes me wondewr how debugged this stuff is. I'll have to play with it a bit more.

Thanks again.

Ray

Comment

Any suggestions?

Yes.

Can I remember it, though? It's a web bstandard... Very impressive in terms of what it will do.... It's initials....

SVG! Scalable Vector Graphics. You can build charts surprisingly easily. Lots of examples. Free. You do need a browser.

Here's a site:

http://www.protocol7.com/svg-wiki/

Another one I've used successfully and often is TeeChart:

http://www.steema.com/

I think you can download a "lite", free version of their object. (There's definitely one for .NET, don't know if the older ones are still available.) They have a COM/ActiveX version that you could probably use with VBScript (which is built in to Windows) or maybe even A5.

TeeChart is very rich but you do have to buy it (if you can't find their freeware version) and it's not cheap. (It's a good value if you need it, though.)

Comment

Hi Ray,
                Last November I changed from Lotus Approach to Alpha 5 and I also was frustrated in the lack of chart/bar functions for my proposed report needs. Although I still use my Lotus Approach I no longer develop my application in Approach.

Having said all that the Report functions are excellent. I am currently exporting dbf files to my a Lotus/Approach application for generating various formats in charts, bars, etc and they look great. Once the data is in you can pretty much manipulate the visuals to what ever you need. It�s not as extensive as Excel but for reporting my data I do not need all that�s avail.

Take a look at a few of my Alpha data exported data charts to made in Lotus Approach 9.7 � there OK but waiting for Alpha to incorporate a function.

The application in lotus is so simple, just a series of exported tables containing the data I need to make the reports.

The cost of the latest Lotus Approach (is sold at about $200 but you can pick up older versions for around $40) � it�s loaded in an office suit but you can isolate unwanted software leaving the Approach application.

Regards
                Andy

Comment

here's a couple more samples for you

Andy

Comment

here's a couple more samples for you

Andy

Comment

It would be great if Alpha incorporates charting/graphing into Alpha some time in the future. But, I think they may be expecting users to use ActiveX when v.6 comes out.

Peter
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi Ray:

I've used Sybase's Infomaker product for this purpose a few times.

www.sybase.com

Contrary to some of the outdated information on the Sybase site, which highligts version 8, I believe that the current version is 9, and it has a street price of about 150.00.

Infomaker is not suitable for any serious scientific/X-Y graphing, however.

George

Comment

For everyone's information, I downloaded the TeeChartOffice program from

http://www.steema.com/downloads/dwn_tch_office.html

It is freeware (!) and for what it is seems to work very well and can make many different kinds of charts. It can use A5 data either exported as a text file, an Excel file or even as a dbf file if you set it up through ODBC and the Borland BDE Administrator (System DSN, Microsoft FoxPro VFP Driver, Free table option).

The only trouble for my purposes is that I don't see a way to link changes in the data file to update the chart file upon opening the latter. It appears the user would have to go about resetting the chart data to the data file each time, which for my purposes is unacceptable.

But hey, it's a nice little program and it's free.

Ray

Comment

Thanks Ray
                            Can't wait to try this one out. Looks pretty good.
                            Lots of chart types supported.
                            Bob

Comment

Raymond,

I suggest that you take another look at the download. The function you speak of is not ActiveX but built in and there is nothing to buy. I have played with this and it seems to do every thing you want.

Keith Hubert
                              London.
                              Regards
                              Keith Hubert
                              Alpha Guild Member
                              London.
                              KHDB Management Systems
                              Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Working...
                              X