Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Terminal Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminal Server

Does anyone have experience of running A5v5 in Windows Terminal Server or Citrix enviornments

Thinking of going the thin client route and just want to know of any pitfalls

Ken

RE: Terminal Server

Ken,

This issue has been discussed. Search this board and also also the version four board.

Both appear to be practical but there are issues you have to understand. I do neither so I can't advise you.

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I've got a feeling that you won't find too many using it with a5v5.Finian Lennon is the resident expert on this so maybe he'll chime in.
      I've used it successfully in a5v4.5, but with very few users off the same Terminal Services machine.
      Bill is correct that there are some good threads about this issue in the Alpha 4 forum, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that the behavior of both versions will be identical.

Comment

John, what about the setting option, to set for use with something like Citrix.
        Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

We are running A5v5 runtime on our Citrix Servers, with the databases being stored on our main NetWare 5 server. So far it has worked very well, though the number of concurrent users connected to a single database is low. The bigger and more robust your Citrix Server, the better.
          Land of the Free, Because of the Brave
          Support our US Military

Comment

How many conurrent users do you have using runtime - whether it's the same or different databases??

Comment

We will have up to 20 people but with light useage.

I am just trying to find out if there are any major problems that would steer me away from Terminal Server

Ken

Comment

Ken,

I was actually asking JoAnn

John

Comment

Sorry

Ken

Comment

John,
                    Normally not more than 5 or 6 at a time. We are in the process of converting quite a few Access databases to A5 so this will be more very soon. Also we are moving users to thin client computing as older PCs need to be replaced, so that may increase our count as well.

I am anxious to see how well A5 responds in this environment as the MS Access runtimes become pretty slow after more than 3-4 concurrent users run them. I just feel like its going to do well because we've had good experiences with it so far.
                    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave
                    Support our US Military

Comment

We have multiple Citrix servers running V4.5 with anywhere from 30 to 50+ concurrent users. It's a big complex app and the heavy users really pound away at it. The servers are running NT Terminal Services. We couldn't get the same load on Windows 2000 so we stuck with NT.

The servers are all multi-processor (mostly dual processor - we didn't find worthwhile advantage with quad processor) and at least 1 gig ram. The OS needs 512 megs for itself for top performance.

We are gradually moving to V5. The pace will pick up in the next couple of months. We are already running a number of clients where the V4.5 app hands off to V5 (to take advantage of the V5 text drivers, so they co-exist OK.

V5 is obviously a bigger app than V4 so we don't expect to get the same number of users on a server. We currently plan to go to 2003 Server for any new/replacement servers.

Finian
                      Finian

Comment

"We have multiple Citrix servers running V4.5 with anywhere from 30 to 50+ concurrent users"

Finian, what kind of hardware are you talking? Our erp system at my work in a clinically obese client. We can get about 20 users on a 4 way Xeon 450mhz with a gig 1.5 gigs of ram. Just curious mostly.

Ryan

Comment

They are all Dell and pretty much top of the line, Xeon processors RAID setups (4X2 in most cases) and Gig plus of RAM. (Sorry I don't have the specs in front of me.)

As far as the number of users go, the key with A4 V4.5 was the OS. With Win2K server we could only get 15 - 20 users before the servers bluse screened. We went back to NT and have stayed there. The 2003 OS has memory/processor management features which were missing in Win2K.

Initially we went for quad processor machines but there wasn't a correlation between # of processors and # of users. Dual is better than single but quad does not double anything except processor cost! RAM was much more important.

Finian
                          Finian

Comment

I'm a little surprised 2000 wasn't better because as a stand alone I find it a lot better than NT. But then NT Terminal Server and NT were two differnet products and they kind of bolted Terminal services onto 2000 so I guess it was a 1.0 release in that respect and apparently it shows. We are at NT because the reporting software we run will not work on 2000. In hindsight, that is a good thing apparently.

Comment

The issue was that MS had an NT fix for "misbehaving" applications that overfed on processor time which V4.5 definitely did/does. Applying this fix/patch enabled us to get the usage where we wanted it. There was no similar "fix" in Win2K server.

F.
                              Finian

Comment

Working...
                              X