Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

May I switch over from Access, but have some ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May I switch over from Access, but have some ??

Hello,

I'm in the trial period and heaviliy studying the manuals. Tried to import my Access database and stuck with these questions:
    -1 once you defined a form, is there a way to change the underlaying datasource? I mean: I made a from, later I removed a field from the underlying table, and now the form gives an error message and is nog willing to be edited anymore. In Access, you simply edit the dataset, but how to do this in A5?

-2 I changed the view, system, layouts setting so that the browse colums have a maximum width, but I still see very wide columns, even in new tabels and new databases...

-3 Is there a way to fix column and row properties in embedded browses without having to do a lot of programming?

greetings, a (probably one of very few) dutch newbee.
    Ren�
    Windows 7, V11

RE: May I switch over from Access, but have some ?

-1 once you defined a form, is there a way to change the underlaying datasource? I mean: I made a from, later I removed a field from the underlying table, and now the form gives an error message and is nog willing to be edited anymore. In Access, you simply edit the dataset, but how to do this in A5?

In Alpha you are probably best advised to add a field back to the table with the same name as the one you removed earlier, then edit the form and remove the "form instances" of that field, then go back to the table and remove it again.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

wow! Supersonic!
      hmm, that is a way, indeed, so, in future first modify al forms, reports and so on and after that modify the table. Ok. Thanks!

Ren�
      Ren�
      Windows 7, V11

Comment

I've wondered this same question, too... but for a different predicament.

I created a form based on a simple table, then created a set with child tables off of the main table I originally used. I wanted to change the original form to now be based on the set, but couldn't figure out how to do so. (By doing so, it would have avoided "re-inventing the wheel"...)

I did come up with one work-around... I went into the table-based (original) form, selected all the objects on the form, and did a cut and past into a newly-created blank form based on the new set. It avoided created all the fields, etc, but it does not totally duplicate all the other form properties.

Yes, for those of us who were used to using Access, you could go in and simply change the dataset...

Will be waiting to hear any better solution.

Comment

Bruce,

Right click the form you wish to change the table/ set(data source) on and select "Copy to"

Keep in mind all fields on the form must exist in the new table/set(data source) to avoid errors.

Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott. :-)

That was way too easy! I kept looking for a solution while in the design mode of the existing form. (A-la "dataset" from within Access form)

Gottta get those old Access "cobwebs" out of my head.

Comment

Thanks Scott. :-)

That was way too easy! I kept looking for a solution while in the design mode of the existing form. (A-la "dataset" from within Access form)

Gottta get those old Access "cobwebs" out of my head.

Comment

Rene,

First off, welcome to the Alpha Community.

-2 I changed the view, system, layouts setting so that the browse colums have a maximum width, but I still see very wide columns, even in new tabels and new databases...

This works for the default browse only. When you design a browse and save it your settings will also be saved.

-3 Is there a way to fix column and row properties in embedded browses without having to do a lot of programming?

YES. Double click the browse object and place your pointer in the edge of the column or row. It will change to a line with arrows, click and hold, drag to desired size. Again, when you save the form/ layout it will hold.

Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott!

Like Bruce said: we must learn to think in another way.

But still a lot of questions left.
                  I found out that is you change a set, this works through into the forms that are based on that set. Nice if you expand it, worse if you reorganize it.
                  I could not find a way yet to find out what the form data set is.

Oops, just double clicked on the icone next to the field-filed in the Field properties windows and there is the answer...

Hmm, the points for A5 are adding ;-)

Greetings, Ren�
                  Ren�
                  Windows 7, V11

Comment

I believe it has been suggested elsewhere that in the Access environment all facets of a "database" are stored in one .mdb file.

In Alpha the data resides in a .dbf file, the layouts (screen forms and browses, letters and reports and labels) reside in ancillary files with the same name as the table but with .ddx, .ddm, and .ddd extensions. Memo fields, if they exist, have files with .fpt extensions. The index file with various index tags exists in a file with a .cdx extension.

Thus you can make changes to the data file structure without affecting the saved layouts and the reverse is true as well. As a developer this gives you the ability to make a change in a report, for example, send the .ddx, .ddm, and .ddd files that were affected to a client for installation, without touching his data.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Yeah,

I red that. I just don't have the exact idea yet what this means. I am finding out that this environment is much more flexible than I assumed at first. Need just some adaptation to the other way of thinking...

BTW, can you tell me how in an embedded browse I can define wich column is the sorted one (and either as- or decending?
                      Ren�
                      Windows 7, V11

Comment

"As a developer this gives you the ability to make a change in a report, for example, send the .ddx, .ddm, and .ddd files that were affected to a client for installation, without touching his data. "

I think that is why a lot of Access people "split" the database to the point that one .mdb contains the data, the other .mdb contains the forms and everything else. But Alpha is even more modular:)

Comment

Hmm, I have the feeling that Stan refers to the fact that in layouts in all table or set data are available, which is not the way in Access. There the datastructure is defined in the form, report or whatever. What I understand from A5 is that the layout registers 'only' the name of the tabel or set it should look to and that it reads the source every time it is opened. In this way, all field are always available and you get en expansion of a table or set 'for free', ehile you get a warning when a field had disappeared from the source. In Access you only get a warning when the source itself disappeared.

The splitting data --- layouts in access is mostly done in order to make sure that the (common)data are stored on only one location, while de layouts can be stored (and edited) locally.

Ren�
                          Ren�
                          Windows 7, V11

Comment

In Alpha an embedded browse of a table, displayed on a form obviously, is merely a different "view" of the same data shown on the form. In a browse view the preceeding/following records are visible, depending on the scroll position within the browse.

As such, to set the sort order for the browse, you set the sort order for the underlying table, by means of an index selection or running a query, etc. You can also hilight a field on the form or a column in the browse, right click, and choose a sort/filter from the context sensitive menu.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Correct.
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X