Alpha Video Training

Thread: May I switch over from Access, but have some ??

Real Name
    René Stout

Default May I switch over from Access, but have some ??

Hello,

I'm in the trial period and heaviliy studying the manuals. Tried to import my Access database and stuck with these questions:
    -1 once you defined a form, is there a way to change the underlaying datasource? I mean: I made a from, later I removed a field from the underlying table, and now the form gives an error message and is nog willing to be edited anymore. In Access, you simply edit the dataset, but how to do this in A5?

-2 I changed the view, system, layouts setting so that the browse colums have a maximum width, but I still see very wide columns, even in new tabels and new databases...

-3 Is there a way to fix column and row properties in embedded browses without having to do a lot of programming?

greetings, a (probably one of very few) dutch newbee.

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Default RE: May I switch over from Access, but have some ?

-1 once you defined a form, is there a way to change the underlaying datasource? I mean: I made a from, later I removed a field from the underlying table, and now the form gives an error message and is nog willing to be edited anymore. In Access, you simply edit the dataset, but how to do this in A5?

In Alpha you are probably best advised to add a field back to the table with the same name as the one you removed earlier, then edit the form and remove the "form instances" of that field, then go back to the table and remove it again.

Real Name
    René Stout

Hi Stan,

wow! Supersonic!
    hmm, that is a way, indeed, so, in future first modify al forms, reports and so on and after that modify the table. Ok. Thanks!

René

Bruce Fairclough

I've wondered this same question, too... but for a different predicament.

I created a form based on a simple table, then created a set with child tables off of the main table I originally used. I wanted to change the original form to now be based on the set, but couldn't figure out how to do so. (By doing so, it would have avoided "re-inventing the wheel"...)

I did come up with one work-around... I went into the table-based (original) form, selected all the objects on the form, and did a cut and past into a newly-created blank form based on the new set. It avoided created all the fields, etc, but it does not totally duplicate all the other form properties.

Yes, for those of us who were used to using Access, you could go in and simply change the dataset...

Will be waiting to hear any better solution.

"Certified" Alphaholic Scott Emerick's Avatar
    Real Name
    Scott Emerick

Bruce,

Right click the form you wish to change the table/ set(data source) on and select "Copy to"

Keep in mind all fields on the form must exist in the new table/set(data source) to avoid errors.

Scott

Bruce Fairclough

Thanks Scott. :-)

That was way too easy! I kept looking for a solution while in the design mode of the existing form. (A-la "dataset" from within Access form)

Gottta get those old Access "cobwebs" out of my head.

Bruce Fairclough

Thanks Scott. :-)

That was way too easy! I kept looking for a solution while in the design mode of the existing form. (A-la "dataset" from within Access form)

Gottta get those old Access "cobwebs" out of my head.

"Certified" Alphaholic Scott Emerick's Avatar
    Real Name
    Scott Emerick

Rene,

First off, welcome to the Alpha Community.

-2 I changed the view, system, layouts setting so that the browse colums have a maximum width, but I still see very wide columns, even in new tabels and new databases...

This works for the default browse only. When you design a browse and save it your settings will also be saved.

-3 Is there a way to fix column and row properties in embedded browses without having to do a lot of programming?

YES. Double click the browse object and place your pointer in the edge of the column or row. It will change to a line with arrows, click and hold, drag to desired size. Again, when you save the form/ layout it will hold.

Scott

Real Name
    René Stout

Thanks Scott!

Like Bruce said: we must learn to think in another way.

But still a lot of questions left.
    I found out that is you change a set, this works through into the forms that are based on that set. Nice if you expand it, worse if you reorganize it.
    I could not find a way yet to find out what the form data set is.

Oops, just double clicked on the icone next to the field-filed in the Field properties windows and there is the answer...

Hmm, the points for A5 are adding ;-)

Greetings, René

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

I believe it has been suggested elsewhere that in the Access environment all facets of a "database" are stored in one .mdb file.

In Alpha the data resides in a .dbf file, the layouts (screen forms and browses, letters and reports and labels) reside in ancillary files with the same name as the table but with .ddx, .ddm, and .ddd extensions. Memo fields, if they exist, have files with .fpt extensions. The index file with various index tags exists in a file with a .cdx extension.

Thus you can make changes to the data file structure without affecting the saved layouts and the reverse is true as well. As a developer this gives you the ability to make a change in a report, for example, send the .ddx, .ddm, and .ddd files that were affected to a client for installation, without touching his data.

Real Name
    René Stout

Yeah,

I red that. I just don't have the exact idea yet what this means. I am finding out that this environment is much more flexible than I assumed at first. Need just some adaptation to the other way of thinking...

BTW, can you tell me how in an embedded browse I can define wich column is the sorted one (and either as- or decending?

Ryan Ware

"As a developer this gives you the ability to make a change in a report, for example, send the .ddx, .ddm, and .ddd files that were affected to a client for installation, without touching his data. "

I think that is why a lot of Access people "split" the database to the point that one .mdb contains the data, the other .mdb contains the forms and everything else. But Alpha is even more modular:)

Real Name
    René Stout

Hmm, I have the feeling that Stan refers to the fact that in layouts in all table or set data are available, which is not the way in Access. There the datastructure is defined in the form, report or whatever. What I understand from A5 is that the layout registers 'only' the name of the tabel or set it should look to and that it reads the source every time it is opened. In this way, all field are always available and you get en expansion of a table or set 'for free', ehile you get a warning when a field had disappeared from the source. In Access you only get a warning when the source itself disappeared.

The splitting data --- layouts in access is mostly done in order to make sure that the (common)data are stored on only one location, while de layouts can be stored (and edited) locally.

René

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

In Alpha an embedded browse of a table, displayed on a form obviously, is merely a different "view" of the same data shown on the form. In a browse view the preceeding/following records are visible, depending on the scroll position within the browse.

As such, to set the sort order for the browse, you set the sort order for the underlying table, by means of an index selection or running a query, etc. You can also hilight a field on the form or a column in the browse, right click, and choose a sort/filter from the context sensitive menu.

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Correct.