Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why No GUID, Counter, or UniqueID Field Data Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why No GUID, Counter, or UniqueID Field Data Type

I've been around databases for 25 years. I just downloaded the trial version because I have a client that uses Alpha5. The website says you guys have been doing this for 20 years. I've haven't seen any database on the market (i.e. even the simplest ones) that do not directly support a GUID (Globally Unique ID), counter, or UniqueID field data type. It should be right on the type list dropdown. No excuses for this!

RE: Why No GUID, Counter, or UniqueID Field Data T

Sounds a bit like you haven't spent any time with dBase or it's kin. Alpha Five uses the DBF format (actually FoxPro 2.6) and it's list of available field data types is limited by the format. There are a number of things Alpha Five has done to extend the functionality notwithstanding this limitation. May I suggest you spend some time with it before throwing more stones ?

-- tom

Comment

Apparently it will be available "real soon now"...

This is in the online web help but not functional in build 1051

API_UUIDCREATE()
      Syntax
      Character Unique_Hex_String = API_UUIDCREATE()
      Argument
      Description
      Unique_Hex_String
      Description
      The API_UUIDCREATE() returns a Universally Unique Identifier (UUID...otherwise known as a Globally unique ID or GUID). This is a 32 character (128 bit) hexidecimal string (not including dashes) that is guaranteed to be completely unique if you have a network card. If you do not have a network card, the number is only guaranteed to be unique to the computer.

It calls the internal Win32 API function UuidCreate(). This function would be used any time you need a totally unique number such as a key value in a table.

Example
      for i = 1 to 10

#? api_uuidcreate()

#next i

bbd9de2d-47e6-44f8-ae5b-8238e7d31b55

0caf734e-7d22-4cd3-8e4f-e68489f41919

20b93a4b-09ef-4a43-9f73-f3e93c5cebe2

e04fb858-116c-49f4-9a1e-328e32705975

6f35a20f-d769-4179-b8c8-930aae71cc4a

deb1298d-1b8d-4162-947a-bce3d59c8a17

There can be only one.

Comment

Tom, I've been around SW Dev for 25 years. Doing GUIDs has nothing to do with the supported or "unsupported" types in DBase file formats. Its an internal thing that happens when a field of type GUID is referenced. By the way: GUIDs are stored in various ways: 1) if the database supports it they're stored as longs, if not, they're stored as strings. DBase file structs do support strings, do they not? As for the "throwing stones" comment. If your forum is only for those who say "nice" things, then why bother? You might as well call it the "Dreamweaver Forum".

Have a nice day Tom - Larry Treachler

Comment

Stan, Thanks! I hope they internalize this ASAP.

Comment

Larry,

I guess I misunderstood your original post. Thought you were talking about data types. Sorry.

-- tom

Comment

Hello Larry:

I am not commenting upon the technical merit of your comments, but on the tone of your message.

You wrote what I thought was an unusually harsh and critical message on what appears to be your first visit to this forum. Putting aside the technical merit of your comments, you came off as rude and condescending.

You could have made the same point in a friendlier, more respectful tone. I could not imagine going to a forum on another product, and being so critical and condescending in my first visit.

Any good forum is open to a variety of opinions, suggestions, and or critical analysis. Without that, it would indeed be nothing more than public propaganda for the company. But no one says you have to be condescending when making your point.

Robert T

Comment

Tom, what I'm really talking about is the automatic ability of the database driver to support uniqueness. The importance of "automatic" in this case is that if the developer needs to write functions to generate unique keys then the possibility exists for a screw-up, and hence, the data will get screwed up. A realtional engine, by its very definition must support automatic uniqueness features. This is the essence of my complaint about Alpha 5. They desparately need to fix these issues if their package is to be taken seriously. I not trying to throw stones, but a feature oversight this blatant needs to be discussed. I appologize for my tone in the previous post.

Thanks, Larry

Comment

I understand your concern and have apollogized. Thanks, Larry

Comment

Larry:

Your apology is accepted. Hopefully you�ll come back and let us know how Alpha Five compares to the other products you�ve used in your 25 years of experience.

Robert T.

Comment

I appologize for my tone in the previous post.

Speaking personally, I don't think your "tone" was out of line. Speaking forcefully is not an offence IMHO.

Peter
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Robert, my first 5 years were with DBase II, III, IV, Clipper, and some FoxPro. So this experience is actually a blast from the past. Currently I do .NET, Mono (linux), C++, C#, VB, Python, Perl and whatnot. It's all fun though. The only thing I can say so far is that there's alot of dialog boxes in the control panel. :-) Larry

Comment

Larry,

Ok. Let's start over. I mistook you for the occasional errant soul who wanders in after starting the trial version to begin immediately criticizing the product. You'll find that most of the responders here have no ties to the company and are volunteering because we think it's worthwhile, and because we ourselves received help from others along the way.

In my own work I've found the auto-increment field rule to be a useful way to establish what I think the pros call a unique key to link related tables. It's not perfect. Others have designed more elaborate approaches, and they're available here, in the code archive and at www.learn alpha.com. They're not perfect either. The principle difficulty we currently face, in my opinion, is that Alpha Five's network multi-user model employs a file-sharing approach on the server. The company is working on a client-server model and I'm looking forward to its release. I fear that until we get there we can come very very close to perfection in this area, but that's probably the best we can do.

-- tom

Comment

Larry:

It may a blast from the past, but if you take the time to learn Alpha Five, I think you�ll learn it is very different and much more advanced than Dbase or Fox Pro. A5 is in many ways a very unique and fascinating database program.

I see you have a little bit of experience with Linux. Can you tell us how difficult or easy it would be to port A5 to Linux?

What are your initial impressions of Net?

Robert T.

Comment

Peter, There's truth to what you say, but if people take offence to my manner, then I lose my voice. I don't want that to happen. Have a nice day - Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X