Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

browse like Alpha Sports customer browse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

browse like Alpha Sports customer browse

I'm trying to build my own browse form modeled after the customer browse form in the Alpha Sports demo ap. I'm afraid I can't completely figure out how things work in the Alpha Sports app. I pretty much have everything working except for making the embeded browse display the field values that are selected in the search drop down. I've looked at the code in the Alpha sports ap and tried to both cut and paste it into my app, and build it from scratch to no avail. Best as I can figure out, the table.sort is not working but I don't know why.

Is there a way to build that functionality in the Genie?
    If so, anyone know the correct set of steps?

What I see in my app is:
    the Column name header changes,
    the browse does do the refresh,
    I do go back to record number 1,
    but I always display the values in the Lastname field.

No matter what I select in the search field, the browse always displays the Lastname field from my Members table. In my case, Members = Customers in Alpha Sports.

If it helps any, I'll paste in my edited version of the script. I'm lost. I appreciate any help from anyone. If the scripts in Alpha Sports were duplicatable in the Genie, I would have a starting point to go from. I'm too new at this to be able to fully understand Xbasic yet.

here is the script.
    -------------------
    'Date Created: 11-Jul-2002 10:07:42 PM
    'Last Updated: 19-Sep-2003 10:06:21 AM
    'Created By :
    'Updated By :
    'set the column heading of the browse object to be the same as the entry selected in the combo box.
    topparent:Browse1:Mem_last_name.Object.Column_title = search1.text

'Set the width of the column in the browse to 30 (it will have gotten set to a smaller value when the SearchBy variable was changed)
    Browse1:Mem_last_name.Entry.Width = 30

'now sort table by the field that was selected
    dim tbl as p
    tbl = table.current()
    tbl.order(search1.text,search1.text + " \"\"")

'refresh the display
    browse1.refresh()

'After changing the SearchBy variable, the data is ordered by the selected field. Set focus to the first record in the sort order.
    topparent.fetch_first()
    --------------
    end of script

tia
    cab

RE: browse like Alpha Sports customer browse

Craig,

Your problem is this, you've not changed the code in all the places where it needs to be changed.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Thanks ken

but that really doesn't help me any. Can you point me to where in the code i've missed? Many thanks for your offer of help.

Comment

Craig,

Browse forms are specific types of layouts. When say you want to pattern your work after the customer browse form, which specific form are you talking about? Its actual name will help.

Have you downloaded the book AlphaSports Explained ?

-- tom

Comment

Craig, I think I found the form you're working on, "Customer Information"... not the "CustomerBrowse" also included in AlphaSports.

How are you populating the SearchBy combo box? It sounds like Ken was on the right track and there's a mismatch between the choice selected by the user using the combo box and the column headings in your browse object.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom;

Yes, the form I'm trying to use as a design master is the 'Customer Information' form in Alpha Sports. I don't know what you mean about the book alpha sports explained? Unless you mean the design notes? I have downloaded and reviewed the design notes. They really didn't explain the search / browse linkage to me enough to explain where I was going wrong. Is there another book I am missing?

I popuplate the SearchBy combo box with a variable. The combo box gets its choices computed automatically and the source is a field list. The search variable seems to be working ok since after the user makes their selection the column heading in the browse does change to be the value of the search variable which is the name of the field chosen via the field list.

The one thought I did have was to download the $30.00 tutorial book that is listed in the Alpha site. If that tutorial goes into more depth on this kind of thing than the packaged tutorial that comes with the product, then I'll dl the book. It's hard to tell from the store description, what all the book covers.

Many thanks for you help. I really appreciate it.
            cab

Comment

Craig,

I think the design notes are the same thing I was thinking of.

Perhaps you could post a working model of your database so we could look over your shoulder. I don't see anything amiss in the script you posted. If privacy is an issue, feel free to email it to me, it won't go anywhere else.

-- tom

Comment

Craig,

Did you copy the Customer Information form or are you building your replica from scratch ?

The browse1 object has been tweaked in Customer Information form. It's a conventional browse for the table, but all columns have been discarded except for Lastname. Is this how you implemented it ?

-- tom

Comment

I built my form from scratch. I did think of that. I tried the browse both ways. With just the 1 column, and with all collumns. I've sent you a private email on your previous reply.

thanks again.

Comment

I've responded to Craig privately, but for any 'lurkers' out there, here's the trick:

The problem: How does the browse object in the Customer Information form in AlphaSports repopulate itself with values from the field specified in the combo box, Searchby ? i.e. when a different field name is selected by the user, how does the browse know to display values from the new field ?

Answer: The properties of the column in the browse object bind the column to a form level calc field alled 'display', which is defined to show the field values in the table using a field name specified in a variable called vcSearchby. This is the variable that gets set by the combo box. The browse object is not displaying field values straight from the table. It's not 'switching' columns when the column title is changed. It's simply looking at the field name held by the variable 'vcSearchby', evaluating it's actual value in the table record, and displaying that value, one per row.

Pretty neat, isn't it?

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for pointing this out. I never thought to look in to that part of AS so I had no notion that it was so elegant. Quite a fascinating technique.

Bill
                      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I just wanted to post a public thanks to Tom for his help. I sent him my database and figured that it was just something simple that was wrong and he would find it very quickly. Tom said it did take him some time to actually find the problem. I really appreciate the time Tom spent on my problem and the information he sent back to me to help show me what was wrong and what the fix was.

This does seem to show a flaw in the Alpha Sports doc though. The problem that Tom found, I have not yet found documented in the Alpha Sports Design Notes. It may be there, but if it is, it is not in the sections that talk about the browse and the search field. If this app is provided as a guide to new users like me, and we can't find information like this, then we are bound to get lost!

Many thanks Tom!

Comment

What is the proceedure for reporting bugs & suggesting improvements???

Bo

Comment

Bo,

Suggestions are often posted here, and usually garner support or criticism, both of which are useful to Alpha Software.

Once I've confirmed that I've actually found a problem with the way something is working, I will report it privately by email to Selwyn. Confirmation to me means that someone else here on the board has been able replicate the specific problem I wish to report. I send nothing in unless it can be replicated by a specific sequence, and replication has been verified by at least two different users, at different locations.

We should be sensitive to his schedule and cautious about uploading things which turn out to be user design errors. He's got a gracious plenty to do without troubleshooting our custom apps. When reporting a problem I always include a text file explaining the context in which the problem is visible, and I always include a simplified zip file containing a working copy of a database that illustrates the problem. My personal rules: Make it easy for Selwyn to see the problem. Assume he knows nothing about my application. Explain everything. My personal goal: Improve the product, not score debating points.

-- tom

Comment

Take a look at http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/samples/AlphaSports.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X