Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

'Save Report to a File' not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Save Report to a File' not working.

I have two different machines each having their own licensed copy of Alpha 5 Home version. They both are running Windows 2000 and have essentially the same products on them (i.e, Adobe 6, Word, etc.). However, on one of my machines I cannot get the 'Save As' for saving a report to a file to work at all. I'm unable to save Adobe, RTF, Text, or any of the options. The other machines works without issue and I cannot find the difference that would cause one to fail.

I tried uninstalling Alpha 5 and reinstalling including the patches but this did not help. Same copy of the database, same report, different results...

Suggestions?

RE: 'Save Report to a File' not working.

Day 5 of the 'Save to File' hostage situation and I'm still trying to debug the problem myself.:-)

I've checked the print drivers and they appear to be installed. I don't have any install errors or messages on startup. I'm still unable to 'Save Report to a File'. This sure is frustrating...

I loaded the newest patch today. In fact, I stripped the software completely off my machine including registry, directory, and such. In reinstall, installed the patch, and then brought the software up. Still, I cannot 'Save Report to File.'

This is like owning a car without a steering wheel. I'm having trouble getting to where I need to be without this option.

Comment

By golly, I figured it out and actually got it to work! Now I can 'Save Report to a File' and use ALL formats! The wheel is in place, the car is moving, and I'm rolling...

If you find yourself stuck and actually follow this self-discussed thread, let me know and I'll try to help you as well. I'll document later how I broke past this hurdle.

Comment

The suspense is killing me.
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

�Save Report to File�

If after installing Alpha 5 Home Addition (or perhaps others for that matter), you startup Alpha 5 and you get the �Errors occurred loading drivers�, I found that you will not be able to use the �Save Report to File� option. In my case, my first line in the dialog showed the �Pdf Driver filed to load with error: The printer name is invalid.�

I tried several full uninstalls, including registry cleanups, and regardless I could not make this issue go away. On another machine similar, I was able to install a copy of Alpha 5 Home Addition and the error did not occur. On that machine, the �Save Report to File� option work without issue.

It seems to the vital key to making the �Save Report to File�, any of the options within, to function is that you must have a successful install of these print drivers including the PDF Driver. In fact, I found that although the others may install properly, if the PDF Driver is not setup right the others would not work on my machine regardless. I suspect that Alpha 5 does a check upon startup and the first check is for the proper install of the PDF Driver. If that fails, it disregards all the others (i.e., Html, Rtf, and Text).

The location to evaluate your drivers is under �My Computer�. You need to get to the �Control Panel� (which can also be done via Start->Settings->Control Panel). You will want to open up �Printers�. In the list of Printer Names, you should see the following:

Name Documents Status Comment Location Model
          HTML Driver 0 Ready Dynamic HTML Printer Driver
          PDF Driver 0 Ready Amyuni PDF Converter 157
          RTF Driver 0 Ready Amyuni RTF Converter 100
          Text Driver 0 Ready Amyuni RTF Converter 100

I found in my case that it was key that the Name of the PDF driver as a printer name was specifically �PDF Driver:� I also found that it was key that the Model of the driver had to be �Amyuni PDF Converter 157�. If it is not, you can select the name from the printer list, right-mouse click, and select �Properties� at the bottom. This will bring up the �PDF Driver Properties� dialog. Under �General�, you can set the name to �PDF Driver�. Under �Advanced�, you can set the Driver to �Amyuni PDF Converter 157�. I found that I had two different ones in the list; the other was �Amyuni PDF Converter 2.6� so I changed it to the 157.

Under the �Ports� tab, I found that my PDF driver was initially assigned to �LPT1: Printer Port� at the top of the Port list. I selected the �PDF: PDF Port� driver field further down in the list. I didn�t change anything else in the PDF Driver Properties dialog. I hit the �OK� button and got out. In fact, I then right-mouse the PDF Driver and double-checked that all my settings were as I had stated.

It will be key that you are not in Alpha 5 when you make these changes. If you are, get out and get back in because, again, I believe they evaluate the ports when they startup. Now that you have them set correctly, your �Save Report to File� should work.

What if you don�t see any of the drivers listed in the printer list? I had that problem too at first. Here is what I did to resolve that.

3. In Explorer, go to the directory where the Alpha 5 software is installed. If default, you will find it in somewhere like �C:\Program Files\A5V5�.
          4. You will find three application files; Install_pdf.exe and Install_rtf.exe, and Install.exe. Double-click on each of them one by one in the order stated. You should see a dialog come up and text go by as the drivers are installed. I did not get errors when I executed these and I found the drivers registered in my Printer list afterwards. Once they were installed, it was a matter of going through the steps I went through above to get the PDF Driver with the right name, port, and model number.

One other thing that I found that I could do once the drivers were in place is that while in Alpha 5 I could select the File->Print Setup option and set the default printer to be the PDF Driver. Then, once I select a report, if I hit the Print icon the Print page would come up and the PDF Driver would be selected by default. I could then use the �Print to file� check box on this dialog and it would prompt me for a file target when I hit the Print button on the dialog.

Finally, I found that this issue of not being able to save to file obviously prevented me from using the �Send Report via E-mail� option since it could not create the report to send.

That�s the whole story of how I got �Save Report to File� to work on my Windows 2000 machine. I have a Microsoft Word file with dialog pictures if you need a better description than this text. Just send me e-mail�

Comment

Looks like a good newsletter article??

Comment

Working...
            X