Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What happened to Print Group Icon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to Print Group Icon

In the LEARNING ALPHA FIVE: THE DATABASE FOR EVERYONE book written by Dr. Pete Wayne, he refers to a Print Group Icon that appears on the Alpha5 menu bar. I am running Alpha5 version 5 and I do not have this icon. Where did it go. This refers to my Print Current Record Problem when trying to print a form with data from parent and child tables.

RE: What happened to Print Group Icon

Deb,

You'll find a few such similar anomalies in Dr. Wayne's book. That's because teh book was written based on the Beta version of Alpha Five. The final version as we know it did not have some of the features he references. Then again, it also gained a few :)

regards,
    Melvin Davidson

Comment

Thanks for the info about Dr. Wayne's book. Same might go for his Xbasic for Everyone publication - right? Your comment explains other inconsistenices between what's in print and what really happens. Sorry I spent the money!

Comment

Deb,

The book was written in 1997 and was aimed at users of Alpha Five version 3. -- tom

Comment

Do you know what happened to the Print Group function?

Comment

Deb,

Sorry, I don't recognize what you're talking about. What page is it on ?

-- tom

Comment

See page 11 - refer to Figure Chapter 2-7. Form view icons - print group. It's right there in black and white.

" The next group of three icons control printing of your data."

"The first icon will print all or part of your data. The second icon will display the data to your screen before printing. The third icon will enable you to print the currently visible record, or set of data."

That last sentence is very key to solving my problem. Does Alpha5 have that capability?

Comment

Deb,

The three icons you're referencing are
                Print, Print Preview, and Print Current tools. It sounds like you're interested in the last one, 'Print Current'.

The icon for 'Print Current' appears to have been changed in A5V5. Open the default form for a table in your A5V5 database. The icon on the toolbar that looks like a printer is preprogrammed to print the current record. The little black triangle next to it leads to other options. Though the picture in the icon has changed I think maybe the functionality is still there. However, there's a big caveat here that you need to know about. Printing forms works well for simple forms, but not for those that are complex, or which contain layered or conditional objects. It is not a screen print utility, as some might imagine. If you're having trouble printing your form, I recommend you design a report instead. -- tom

Comment

Thanks for the info about Dr. Wayne's book. Same might go for his Xbasic for Everyone publication - right? Your comment explains other inconsistenices between what's in print and what really happens. Sorry I spent the money!

Don't be. If it's a good book (and by all accounts here, it is) it will give you a good foundation for using A5. Make sure you check out the on-line resources available and, as you'll discover, you can learn what's changed here.

Comment

I appreciate your feedback but I am having the same difficulty printing a report with the details of just a "single selected" child record. To net out my goal:

One a single page (form or report)
                    Print Name, Address, ... from Demographics (parent table)
                    Print One Reservation from Reservations (child table)

With Alpha4 I could highlight the row on the imbedded browse and go to Choose Form (Reservation Form that had both parent and child data defined), Quick Print Form, and then return to my main screen. Or a could zoom to a detailed form and do the same thing.

With Alpha5 it seems I can only print data from the parent table OR the child table, but not both for a single selected child record. Print current record always gives me pages for every child record associated with the parent.

Comment

Working...
                    X