Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Checking for empty numeric fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking for empty numeric fields

I need to prevent a user entering numbers on a form if they have not input an initial number :

Allow This? NO OK OK OK

Kg to Check: blank 0 0 0
    Kg Accepted: 1000 1000 1000 990
    Kg Rejected: blank blank blank 10

i.e. I want to force the user to enter a number in the 'Kg to Check' field before entering numbers in 'Kg Accepted' and
    or 'Kg Rejected' fields. But initially all these fields will be blank when the data is input/amended. Only later are these filled.

I have tried on table field rules testing for null value and ditto on the form but it seems Alpha does not know the difference between nothing and the figure 0.

I also tried testing for a field of length 0 - i.e. no contents as opposed to containing figure 0 - giving a length of 1 i.e. contents.

How can I get round this?

RE: Checking for empty numeric fields

John

Unfortunately, the number 0 in the computer world is not exactly 0. When evaluated, there is always some small value out at some rediculous decimal place. Instead of checking for 0, check for round(value,2) = 0. If you are always using whole numbers, use round(value,0) = 0.

The same issue occurs in math with currency. If you don't round off, 1 may not equal a calculated 1. The checkbook doesn't balance even though it looks like it should.

Jerry

Comment

Worse yet, unless this has been changed relatively recently, if you read the value of a control that is blank but defined as a numeric value, the result is some huge number. (The data in the table is OK - i.e., 0 - but reading the value directly from the form object will be wrong.) Consequently, I would initialize any Number field to a default value whenever humanly possible.

In most cases, the value could be set to 0. In one case where 0 was a reasonable data value, I assigned 999 as the default because the maximum normal value was less than 100. Unfortunately, this required some additional coding to make sure the number 999 wasn't used in any calculations or displayed on forms - bummer.

The other alternative I've tried is never getting the value of a numeric field with:
      var = "Formname>:"ObjectName>.value
      but, instead:
      varc = "Formname>:"ObjectName>.text
      var = val(varc)

Now, back to the original question...

Assume your 'top' 4 objects are named Check1, Check2, Check3, and Check4 and the next 'row' is named Accepted1, Accepted2, etc.
      You could add a script to the CanArrive event of Accepted1 that says:
      IF parentform:Check1.text"OK"
      cancel()
      END IF

This would make it impossible for the user to access (arrive at) the Accepted1 field at all until the value in Check1 box was "OK".

Comment

Oops! That was supposed to be "displayed on reports"

Comment

I had to check it... After a few tests to get close, the following returns a value higher than 1 x 10^308 on my system if the numeric field called 'mbr_agef' is left blank. (Yes, that's a one followed by 308 zeroes - and, no, I don't know, or care, what that number would be called.)

m_age = parentform:mbr_agef.value
          FOR x = 300 to 330
          IF m_age > 1*10^x
          ui_msg_box( "HUGE", str(x) )
          ELSE
          ui_msg_box( "MEMBER AGE", str(m_age,20,0)+str(x) )
          END IF
          NEXT

At 309 it attempts to show the value but can only display 15 vertical bars instead.

Comment

>

Waitaminute. What?

I mean, yeah, at the transistor level, there's always some charge, but integer processing has been a part of the '86 architecture from the beginning.

And we're operating WAY above that in A5. In actual dBase file a zero is stored as a "0". Things don't get much clearer than that.

So--wait, does A5 do all its calculations in floating point?

If true, that's pretty critical info!

Comment

John

An obvious question I overlooked. If this a numeric field or a character field? If it is a character field just use

alltrim(field) = ""

If the entry can be blank, not 0, I would use a charcter field. You can always use val() later to get a numeric value.

Jerry

Comment

Blake,

Actually, in a DBF file, a numeric field is always stored as a series of ASCII characters, not binaries. This preserves the fixed width of the record, and is part of the reason dBase proved so popular when introduced a generation ago.

For field that's numeric, 5 wide, and zero decimals, the number zero would be stored as :

blankspace, blankspace, blankspace, blankspace, 0

or in hex equivalents

20 20 20 20 30

As you probably know,

character type fields are stored as a left justified string of ascii characters, padded on the right with blank spaces to the full field width.

date type fields are stored in character strings, too, using the format YYYYMMDD.

-- tom

Comment

Am I missing something here or did I bury my response too deep?

The question seems to be, "I want to force the user to enter a number in the 'Kg to Check' field before entering numbers in 'Kg Accepted' and or 'Kg Rejected' fields. But initially all these fields will be blank when the data is input/amended. Only later are these filled."

One way to force this is to not allow the user to enter the 'Kg Accepted' or 'Kg Rejected' fields IF the 'Kg to Check' field is blank.

My original suggest to do this was with a CanArrive event such as:
                  IF parentform:Check1.text=""
                  cancel()
                  END IF

This will work even if the field is numeric because it is only looking at the text in the field object.

(Yes, my original example showed parentform:Check1.text"OK" but, while the concept was correct, parentform:Check1.text="" is more applicable in this case.)

However, an easier option might be to create a Skip rule in field rules using Isblank("Kg_to_check").

Comment

Actually, in a DBF file, a numeric field is always stored as a series of ASCII characters, not binaries. This preserves the fixed width of the record, and is part of the reason dBase proved so popular when introduced a generation ago.

Indeed, that's why I put zero in quotes. :-)

dBase traditionally stores everything as characters. But this is my point: the data is literally a "0", not a binary represntation of a zero, so I don't get what Jerry's saying.

In ReXX (a "typeless" language), everything--even variables--is stored as a string. "2" + "2" equals "4". (One sort of amazing thing about that is that you could just about fill up the entire available machine memory with two numbers, and then add them together.)

But I imagine in A5 (and in all xBase dialects), when you take a "2" out of a field and put it into a numeric, it becomes a machine-specific, binary representation of 2.

What it seems like Jerry's saying is that it's not an integer representation (hence, precisely 2), but a floating point representation of a 2 (hence, something like 2.000001).

That sort of shocked me but having written all the above, I realize that xBase doesn't have an integer type, only a floating point numeric, so, yeah, it doesn't do "exactly 2".

But that's not a limitation of the computer, just a simplification on A5's part.

Comment

Blake,

Right. I saw the quote marks but didn't get your meaning. -- tom

Comment

Cal,

I agree with you and would go one further and send the focus bak to the field that should not be blank?

Dave

Comment

That's a good idea. The Cancel() by itself just leaves you wherever you started.

Comment

Many thanks for so many responses! Will go try...

Comment

Working...
                            X