Alpha Video Training

Thread: Delete Taking Long Time

Real Name
    David Boomer

Default Delete Taking Long Time

I have created a 'Delete' operation for a table. There are 78,000. records. I have created an index on the field that I am basing the delete query on. The table is not open when I run the delete operation.

Question: Is it normal for Alpha to take 4 - 5 minutes to find the records to be deleted (~10,000) and then another 4 - 5 minutes to actually delete the records?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Default RE: Delete Taking Long Time

I don't think it should take that long.How are you doing it? With an index on the field for the delete query, you should use the between function to get the records and delete_range() to delete them. Something like
    t=table.open("tablename")
    t.order("FieldName","Between(FieldName,'"+value1+"','"+value2+"')")
    t.delete_range()
    t.close()
    should work pretty fast if FieldName, value1 and value2 are all character.

Finian

Real Name
    David Boomer

Thanks for your response...

I am trying to delete records that satisfy the following condition:
    ElemlinkLeft(Repslink,14) = .t.

When I create a 'delete reecords'operation & specify the above criteria (or specify a saved Query with the same criteria) the delete takes forever!

I have since discovered that if I perform a Query operation (with the above criteria), followed by a 'delete selected' operation it goes so fast that I can hardly see the little worm in the scroll bar.

This has solved my problem, but I still wonder why I can't do it in 'one swell foop'.

David

Real Name
    Blake Watson

This has solved my problem, but I still wonder why I can't do it in 'one swell foop'.

Perhaps the one case exploits an index while the other doesn't?

Real Name
    David Boomer

Perhaps...
    But... I created an index on the ElemLink field (the field used for in the criteia for the Query & delete).??

Based on your hypothesis... when the two separate operations execute (Query followed by Delete Selected) the index IS used... BUT when I try to create an operation that deletes records, based on exactly the same criteria used in the Query, the index is not used???

Is there some way to force the operation that deletes based on a saved query to use an index??

If Alpha is using an index in the separate Query Operation but not in the combined one (with no delete) I don't know why... any ideas?

Real Name
    Blake Watson

Based on your hypothesis... when the two separate operations execute (Query followed by Delete Selected) the index IS used... BUT when I try to create an operation that deletes records, based on exactly the same criteria used in the Query, the index is not used???

That's my theory, yes.

Is there some way to force the operation that deletes based on a saved query to use an index??

I don't know much about operations yet, but it looks like a pretty closed box.

If Alpha is using an index in the separate Query Operation but not in the combined one (with no delete) I don't know why... any ideas?

Again, speculating: While the end result of your two approaches, the internal logic used to get there is NOT the same. The operation may take longer because it works even if there is no index, where your query approach will not. It might not be a simple matter for the operation code to check for indices at all possible points where they might benefit the task at hand.

This sort of thing happens in computing a lot. Until the mid-'90s, the best way to get the fastest code was to write it in assembler. As compiler technology improved and the underlying CPU got more complex, it got harder and harder to improve by hand on what a compiler could do.

Think of it this way: A5 provides a solution that works in all cases, and a solution that works faster if you know how to apply it.

Real Name
    Blake Watson

>>end result of your two approaches

Doh.

Should've been "end result of your two approaches is the same".