Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Update Indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Indexes

Every now and then I have to Update my indexes in a set of tables, because some child records does not display with the linked parent record.
    Where will be the best place to update the indexes automatically (when the form is loaded or what?)

And , do I have to do that in all the forms that are created from a set ??

Thanks

RE: Update Indexes

Walter

The best solution is to determine why the indexes are getting corrupted. This is not a normal situation. If you have referential integrity turns on, try turning it off. This can sometimes cause the problem. Carefulling check the linking expression. It should be something very simple and not a field that might be edited in the child or record. Try to avoid expressions in the link. Filtered links can sometimes cause problems if there is a possibility of the filter not being evaluated.

There are very few cases where the child index may become unstable. Linking the same table 1 to many more than once with a filter on each link is one such case. I have an app that does this and I just add a maintenance option to a menu to allow the user to manually update the indexes. It happens rarely, but you do need a method to correct the problem.

Jerry

Comment

Hello Jerry,

This is a straight forward linkage, not editable by the user, referential integrity is turned off as well, and no filter exp. The link fields are numeric, same size.

But every now and then some child fields are not showing when I navigate the parent form.
      Only after updating the index, they are back again.

Do you think a manual routine is the best way for the user
      to update the indexes??

Thanks
      Walter

Comment

Walter

It is suggested that you don't use a numeric field as a link. You could convert the file to character and this should be much more reliable.

Normally set indexes are very reliable. Corruption of the index as you are seeing is very rare, especially if the link is a simple field expression.

Jerry

Comment

I will use the Use HTML option for this. I hope it works as expected.

I really wish I could agree with Jerry. I have an application in use that seems to need index updates about twice a day.

None of the indexes are based on numbers (e.g., master_nof is a character field) and there are no filters. Only one index is even "compound" in that it combines a character field and the CDATE() of a date field.

I have gone over every script to be sure all tables are closed before the script closes even though I'm told it shouldn't be necessary. I also don't recall any queries being used in the application.

The only other things that I can think of that might be affecting this are: (a) it's running on XP work stations with a Linux server and (b) the main input set includes 3 child tables and one grandchild. My next step will be to force the user to input data on a form based on one table at a time (actually, the child data is already handled that way) but this will also cause them more work and, based on past experience, may cause me more problems getting the 'view' form to update correctly.

I hate to sound negative but this is reality. It's what I'm living with every day.

In fairness, I must add that a number of other applications are running flawlessly but I have two that have been driving my crazy for months. Also, none of the applications have problems with 1 or 2 users. Problems only start when users begin to exceed 2 and seem to get progressively worse as the number of users increases. (Problems are rare with 3 users.) Re-booting and/or re-indexing has always solved the issues - unfortunately, it's only temporary.

It's probably also worth noting that these are probably my two most complex applications so it could be either (a) I've done something basically wrong somewhere or (b) all the complexity of checks and cross-checks are forcing tables to open and close too often - but isn't checking and cross-checking part of the value of a database application?

Set Definition:

Ord_Head
          --> Client
          --> Ord_Head_memo
          ==> Ord_Items
          --> Ord_Item_memo

Ord_Head Indexes:

Agnt_Name_
          AGNT_NAMEF
          Ascending
          All

Bill_Ph_
          BILL_PHF
          Ascending
          All

Client_No_
          CLIENT_NOF
          Ascending
          All

Master_No_
          MASTER_NOF
          Ascending
          All

Prop_Addr_
          PROP_ADDRF
          Ascending
          All

Rltr_Name_
          RLTR_NAMEF
          Ascending
          All

Sign_Ph_
          SIGN_PHF
          Ascending
          All

Ord_Item Indexes:

Comp_On_
          COMP_ONF
          Ascending
          All

Master_No_
          MASTER_NOF
          Ascending
          All

Mast_Date_
          MASTER_NOF+CDATE(ORD_DATEF)
          Ascending
          All

Req_Date_
          REQ_DATEF
          Ascending
          All

Sign_Type_
          SIGN_TYPEF
          Ascending
          All

Work_Ord_
          WORK_ORDF
          Ascending
          All

Ord_Date_
          ORD_DATEF
          Ascending
          All

Comment

Cal,

What you have said is reassuring to me in that I have been wracking myt brain to try to figure out why I get these index problems as well. I would say they occur only on the LAN and when 2 or 3 users are entering data. At those times, the secretaries sometimes will do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete (which I have told them not to do anymore so I can see the problem), but still I end up having to reindex.

Gary
            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Cal,

I too am having the same problems you described. Did you ever find out what was causing all the problems with the indexes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I am hardly a technical guru when it comes to computer related problems, but it�s been my experience that indexes become corrupt for a number of reasons that seem mysterious, yet there�s almost always a logical explanation. I tend to agree with Jerry, I don�t think there some inherent flaw in Alpha that results in index corruption. But then again, as stated above, I am not an expert in this area.

We can look at three general areas, application design, how people use of Alpha Five, and events that occur independently of Alpha Five.

I cannot remember all of the alpha based possibilities, but if memory serves correct, here is a partial list that was previously discussed in this forum.

� Using filters in indexes
                � Xbasic scripts that leave tables open in the background
                � Restructuring that changes the physical order of fields in a table
                � Using numeric fields as the linking fields in sets
                � Failure of developers to compact the database after making numerous changes
                � And maybe someone can correct me on this, wasn�t there an issue using index names with more than 10 characters?

Although this isn�t supposed to happen, I suspect indexes can be corrupted when people fail to close their Alpha application properly [when a number of tables are still open] before closing the Alpha Five program.

Outside of Alpha Five, I would say the biggest and most likely cause of index corruption is a failure to shut down Windows properly. People do that all of the time either deliberately, or when they are forced to reboot their computers because of problems with other applications on their system. Very often, Alpha is still running when they reboot. I think this one causes more problems than people realize.

I would also suspect possible power surges and/or network related issues. I think Cal hinted at that with his complex application.

Robert T

Comment

Sometimes reading this board makes the blood run cold as you spot a dire warning you haven't seen before i.e. dont use number fields to link tables in a set. I, in my ignorance, have done this for some time in the belief that an integer is very precise whereas a character can be miskeyed etc. I have to say we rarely get problems relating to the linking indexes but we do get corruption of our main table index usually in a multi user environment and it mainfests itself by truncating the index name. I am mainly referring to apps running under version 4.5 or less, we still dont have enough V5 apps out there yet to know if the problem is less evident although my general impression is of greater stability under V5. Can the alpha techies give us any definitive guidelines on the use of indexes.

Bob Whitaker
                  Bob Whitaker

Comment

In a busy multi-user environment,entering child records ( in a form based on a set ) can easily produce index corruption. If you find it is necessary to do browse refreshes or other to properly display child records, you are a candidate for the situation I am describing.

My own experience have shown this to be irrefutable.This corruption will be more apt to occur during very busy periods - the lack of consistency makes it difficult to remedy.

I have seen this and completely fixed it by breaking off the child record from the set. Then by taking a different approach to enter the "no longer child records" the indexing problems immediately and completely dissappeared.

By the way - the problem had nothing to do with any other index suggestions made in this thread

Comment

Index-Corruption is often a problem when using DBF-Files in multiuser environments. This is specifically true with W2000/XP.

The simplest way to resolve most of these problems in W2000/XP is to disable oplocks on behalf of the LAN Manager server by manipulating the registry key.

My own experience shows no performance loss but significant less problems, when oplock is disabled.

Check (www.superbase.com/services_tech_support_oplocks.htm)

Matthias

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I too was unaware of not indexing on a numeric field and will fix this evening but I don't really think that this is causing the problem. This database has been in use for 5 years and these issues did not arise until recently. I do think that it has something to do with entering child records (V5, did not happen in 4.5) and if this is the case I am throwing Alpha out the window. Cannot enter records in a child table, then what's the point?

I do not:
                        � Using filters in indexes
                        � Xbasic scripts that leave tables open in the background
                        � Restructuring that changes the physical order of fields in a table
                        � Failure of developers to compact the database after making numerous changes
                        � Use index names with more than 10 characters - Alpha does that all by itself when creating indexes.

Comment

Hello Elke:

You only listed a several design flaw possibilities that could result in corrupt files [indexes]. There are other possible and more likely causes that I mentioned in a previous message. Most of those are totally unrelated to Alpha Five and how the product is designed.

I can tell you that many people use A5 every day of the year, they enter tons of records into child tables, and their indexes remain intact and work just as they were designed.

I don't know if you're personally having problems with indexes, but don't judge Alpha Five by the small handful of people who post their problems. This occurs with every single application on the market, most people are very happy with the product while a small percentage experience problems.

That small percentage takes advantage of a forum such as this one to post their problems and rightfully so. But keep in mind they are but a small portion of the overall Alpha users market.

If you're having index related issues, you have to go down a list of possibilities and try to troubleshoot all of the possible causes.

Robert T

Comment

Robert,

I'm sure that many people do not have these issues but that doesn�t mean some obviously do, take a look at all the messages related to problems with indexes. I have been trying to find the cause for a week now, every night until 3AM, only to come in the next morning to have all of my employees unable to function due to the index problem. I'm sure that there is a very good reason why this is happening and it's likely that it is something that I have done, but not being able to figure it out or have more information when error messages appear is truly frustrating.

Comment

John,

This is getting a bit nit-picky but databases can often be nit-picky so I guess this question qualifies....

Have you ever seen an issue with entering data in a 1:1 child table? I suspect this is mostly a 1:M issue but thought it would be interesting to know if you have any further info on the subject.

'**************************

To answer Elke's original question:
                              No, I have not resolved all of the problems. Here are my observations for whatever they are worth:

- I have not seen any issues because of indexes on numbers in my apps BUT this type of index is rather rare for me because I adhere strongly to the idea that numbers are only used for data that will be used to add, subtract, multiply, or divide.
                              - Keeping the data ENTRY (not changes) out of the 1:M sets seems to reduce the number of index issues and, in most cases, it really isn't a big deal for users if set up properly - click a New Record button and open a form already in data entry mode. In fact, in most cases, I find it actually easier than a browse because anything over 4-6 fields can often be laid out in a more readable manner on a form. (I even add an OnKey function to open the data entry form by pressing F10 so keyboard users don't have to waste time constantly grabbing for the mouse.)
                              - Related to the above, I must admit that I have not changed those two problem apps to totally eliminate data entry in child tables. These are both relatively old apps built some time ago in A5v4.
                              - Other than John Zaleski, I notice a lack of people saying "I have 5 (or more) users and I don't have indexing problems. Here's how I do it...." Anyone else out there care to check in??
                              - I don't believe this is an Alpha issues as much as it is an issue that any file server database such as Alpha (or any .dbf based database) and others would be subject to. I think one way some of the other databases get around it is to use fewer indexes and more queries but, as we all know, the queries can take a lot longer; especially on a large table.
                              - Although I agree with most of Robert's comments, I'm convinced that the issues I'm seeing have nothing to do with crashes or shutting down A5 incorrectly. Too many problems have occurred after a couple hours of work with no other shut downs. Of course, shutting down incorrectly is likely to cause problems but I'm not sure it's a major factor in the case of multiple users entering data all at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X