Alpha Video Training

Thread: conditional objects

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Default conditional objects

OK, time to get my feet wet with conditional objects. I am working on a form that has SC as a record list showing a drop down list of various SC choices. Based on what SC the user chooses, I would like the inventory ID and Desc to automatically appear in another drop down list providing the user to select from only the products available for that particular SC company. My reading so far tells me that a conditional object is probably the best way to handle this. What I am not sure of is how to define the condition.

If SC = "" then list all ID and Desc with matching SC from the inv table

Any ideas? Is the conditional object the best way to do this? If so, exactly how would I define the above expression? If not, what is a better way to handle this so that I can read up on the proper info?

Thanks
    Cheryl

Thomas Henkel

Default RE: conditional objects

There are a couple of ways to do this. (as with almost evertyhing in Alpha) You can set up cascading drop down lists where, based on a choice, another level of drop down will show,
    or
    conditional table lookups, which I prefer for maintenance purposes. Based on a value in field1, a table is dislplayed for lookup to fill field 2. So, if you choose SC1 as your first choice, then the SC1 Table will be displayed for your next field, if you choose SC2, then SC2 table is displayed, etc.

Both of these are field rule methods for lookups.

Tom

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

With my current table structure that would not work, nor would my original idea of a conditional object I don't think. Currently I have the products for all of the companies in one table with a company identifier in each product record. We did this simply because a majority of the companies only have one or two products and it seemed crazy to create a separate product table for each company. We may need to do this if I am unable to find another way, but of course I am going to search for a way to keep all the companies products in one table if possible.

SC table has: SC and Company name
    Inv table has: ID, Desc, SC and other fields as well

We have discussed just allowing the various users to physically type in the product id/desc but this leaves lots of room for user input errors.

Any other ideas?

Cheryl

Thomas Henkel

If you do a table lookup, you can filter it based on your requirements. Therefore, if you are looing for products from company SC, set your lookup filter to be SC. That should only let your users see the necessary products.

Thomas Henkel

CHeck the user's guide starting on pg 122.

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Thanks Tom, you just saved me a lot of time where to go reading, I have been doing searches on objects all over the place. Although I am reading and learning a wealth of information, I prefer to concentrate my efforts on what is needed at the time and save my other research for when time is not an issue :)

Former Alpha Employee Edward Larrabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Edward Larrabee

Take a look at the topic in the Xbasic Reference webhelp at:

http://support.alphasoftware.com/xbasic_reference/Applications/Dynamic_List_Boxes.htm

Perhaps it will be helpful.

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Thanks Edward.